Advanced search

Come on now! first labour stories

(30 Posts)
DimlowChips Tue 08-Dec-15 09:22:23

I'm 37 weeks today, and so very done with being pregnant. This is our first DC, and we've been to the classes, read the books etc but it doesn't really tell you what to expect, does it?

Last night I had a sore bump and tightenings which were about 7-10 mins apart, but stopped after 2 hours. No waters going or anything like that, but had hoped that was the start!

I'd love to know how other MNers' labours started, especially for their first? It'll give me something to read while I keep bouncing on my ball! smile

Suzy4321 Tue 08-Dec-15 09:29:59

Mine started like this.... Felt fine (as uncomfortable as always) went to bed. Needed a wee. Got back in bed and felt a twinge. Thought nothing of it then ten mins later and so on. Then 12 got up with hubby sat downstairs and they came more and more every 3 to 6 mins. Phoned hospital they said come if I want or wait a while waited until 3am then left went to hospital thought they would say that yes started but go home but instead told me I was 7cm and moved to birthing suite. I won't go into details of birth as its not pleasant but now sitting here with baby girl loving every minute. Good luck

StandoutMop Tue 08-Dec-15 09:30:02

Grumbly period pains, started around lunch time. No particular pattern to length or frequency but definitely got more painful intense as afternoon wore on.

Never had a show, that I noticed, waters went 10mins before baby arrived, so don't (as I did) wait for those as evidence of "proper" labour. Meant I got to hospital about 40mins before giving birth, it was not a comfortable car journey.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 08-Dec-15 09:50:41

Enthusiastic sex at 38 up to go to the bathroom, and felt a tiny trickle. It was my waters very slowly breaking (think slow puncture in a tyre).
24 hours at home and nothing happened, so went in to be induced. Pessary was inserted, full on contractions 20 mins later. DD born 3 hours after that smile gas and air made me puke, so gave up on that....convinced myself I needed pethidine, but MW said there was no point because baby was coming very fast.
5 internal stitches, and an external laceration that apparently didn't need stitches definitely did!

Suzy4321 Tue 08-Dec-15 09:57:33

Ooohhhjust seen sparkly. Just realised when you have gas and air or any other mess you can be given anti sickness injection. I threw up everywhere but had that injection and it was great. (Don't think that you won't because you hate injections believe me you will cut off own arm if they say it would help)

lilac3033 Tue 08-Dec-15 11:51:12

I noticed the plug coming a few days before things kicked off. I started getting contractions about midnight one night, got more frequent but I just tried to rest. Just as I thought I best wake DP they got less frequent. By 5am they stopped. This happened for three consecutive nights. The next morning I was in tears at my midwife appt because I was so tired. Did an exam and I was fully effaced, baby was all the way down and I was 1.5cm dialated. So she did a sweep and told me I'd have the baby that day or the next. Contractions started a couple hours later and didn't let up. I used a TENS at home until about 10pm then we went in and were admitted. Waters broke in triage, in a gush. I also got some dihydracodiene and an anti sickness injection there. By 1130 we were in the birthing suite (I had a bit of monitoring in triage first). Got in the pool and had some gas and air (just made me feel drunk, so I gave up for pushing). After about 3 hours I thought I'd had enough and needed a break if this was going to continue for hours, so I asked for pethadine. While the midwife went to get it my contractions totally changed and I realised it was pushing time! Called the midwife back. Had to get out of the pool as my contractions slowed. I had to push in all different positions as DD was back to back, she finally turned and was born at 502am. I had a couple minor grazes but they needed stitched as they bled a fair bit. All fine though, it really wasn't as bad as I expected.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 08-Dec-15 13:00:18

Suzy wish they had told me that at the time hmm oh well...I got a baby....--and a bruised vagina-- guess the gas would have just made the experience a bit more giggly grin

alltouchedout Tue 08-Dec-15 13:14:16

At 40+14 I went to hospital for induction. I had a pessary inserted at about 11 am. Nothing happened. At 2:30 am on 40+15 my water broke whilst I was on the loo, I had my first (huge) contraction, and ds1 was born at 5:14 am.

I found labour terrifying and overwhelming but that was mostly due to the fact that until I started pushing just after 4 am they refused to believe I was in active labour and kept saying shit like calm down you've got hours to go (look on midwife's face when I screamed that I needed to push and she grudgingly checked and realised that I was fully dilated was classic). It was very quick, very straightforward and despite not being fun, it let me know that I could do it perfectly well- so ds2 and 3 were homebirth at which I told rather than asked what was happening!

PalaceGirl Tue 08-Dec-15 13:22:31

I kept going to the loo (for #2) all through the night until there was nothing left. Then laying on the sofa at 4am I actually felt a pop inside me (my waters breaking). After that everything went very fast. Contractions started coming closer and closer and I threw up a few times. My son arrived in hospital 6 hours after my waters broke via normal delivery.

BillMurrey Tue 08-Dec-15 13:32:18

I had a consistent period-like pain. Not even worthy of a paracetamol. However it was NOT coming and going, but there all the time. Dh convinced me to ring the hospital who told me it was probably nothing but to come in (1am).
Turns out it was a placental abruption. Cue doctors and nurses flying out of the woodwork, general anaesthetic and emergency section for me. dd spent 3 days in scbu and had to have blood transfusions, but is now healthy and well.

In the press at the time, was a baby who died from the same thing. Not wanting to scare you at all, but the pain was such a minor symptom in an otherwise very healthy pregnancy. I could have very easily ignored it so I want everyone to know about it just in case.

Good luck, hope all goes very smoothly for you.

Cnmorgan13 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:37:29

Im a first time mum myself due in March. This getting turned away bothers me. Our hospital is 20 mins away from us. If they turn us away if I'm too early or whatever that's a 40 minute trip and a lot can change in that space of time

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 08-Dec-15 13:48:39

I was induced at 10 days over, 3pm. Baby born at 3am the next day. I love my birth story but it could be pages and pages long, so long story short:

- One pessary, walk round park drinking raspberry leaf tea, up and down stairs, sat on birth ball - didn't touch the bed or stop moving.
- Sent husband home to get sleep as everyone telling me I'd be in there for days
- Lots of periody pain.
- Midwife was mean and gave me an unimpressed look when I asked for pain relief. She helped me run a bath (weird taps) which was amazing! Getting out and dressed by myself though was very difficult and painful.
- I then asked her to check me as pessary had fallen out, which I hoped meant I'd dilated. She begrudgingly checked me and said I was 2cm (2:35 am).
- Asked MW for some pain relief. I was like: 'excuse me, sorry to trouble you, is there any way I could possibly have something for the pain?' grin She came back with a poxy coedine tablet.
- Called husband back as I was thinking 'if this is early labour period pain, I can't do it!'
- Traipsing halls by self, crying, so sore and lonely. MWs at the desk were thinking I was a wuss I'm sure.
- involuntary pushes began
- husband arrived
- More pushing and weird noises (oh and I was sharing a room with a couple waiting for a c section in the morning, how embarrassing!)
- I asked DH to get someone to check me as I didn't want to break my cervix, pushing when I was only 2cm.
- Mean MW was on a break so another one came.
- She saw me pushing and saying I couldn't do it and knew I was in transition. Next thing I know doc is checking me and I'm +1
- Rushed out of shared room into delivery room, then promptly rushed to theatre as baby's heartrate was very low.
- No time for pain relief so had a forceps delivery on just that coedine tablet. Didn't understand gas and air at all, just made my mouth dry.
- Baby born at 3:17 am, so went from 2cm - delivery in 40 mins. Labour is counted from like 3 or 4cm I think?
- Had spinal anaesthetic for stitching up (which took 1.5 hours) and it was INCREDIBLE! Also made me reeeeally itchy when it wore off, and it felt so good to scratch!

So I had everything I didn't really want (had been doing hypnobirthing and had a loose birth plan but mainly was concerned about forceps and injection in my back). Had GBS in pregnancy, which no-one mentioned til after baby born; induction; forceps; spinal anaesthetic; haemhorrage (minor), episiotomy and 3rd degree tear; didn't hold the baby for about 2+ hours so didn't get to do the newborn breast crawl etc... But it was GREAT, I absolutely loved it even though I'm still having physio 6 months on. It's just an awesome experience. However it goes and whatever your plan, when the time comes you'll just tackle whatever is necessary in the moment.

I didn't feel any contractions, just constant low back and bump ache (had to be told when to push during delivery), so had I been at home I'd have never got to hospital as I'd been taught at antenatal to wait for the 3 contractions in 10 mins or whatever it is.

When the need for forceps was announced, DH did sheepishly say: 'can we not do forceps? The birth plan...!' Bless him. The surgeon was like, 'um, no. No other option'. The baby was too low for a section and a section would have taken too long anyway.

Hope that story doesn't scare you! I loved it. You will be great! smile

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 08-Dec-15 13:52:28

Also the NHS is lush and my surgeon was really kind and chatty while she was stitching me up smile She was kind. I was just like "WOW what just happened!" and talking a load of crap I'm sure but she and the anaesthetist were both chatting away to me smile

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 08-Dec-15 13:53:28

Like, it's amazing how a full on theatre team, anaesthetist, surgeon, so many nurses etc all just appeared as if from the walls and descended on me in the space of about 2 mins. They wrangled that team quickly! I really appreciated it, needless to say!

Anyway sorry, over and out smile

SparklyTinselTits Tue 08-Dec-15 14:15:57

Palace lucky you that you <ahem> emptied your bowels before the main event blush

TesticleOfObjectivity Tue 08-Dec-15 14:28:10

I started getting like cramps a few weeks before. Sort of like contractions - maybe braxton hicks? One evening I had a feeling it was time. I had to poo about 5 times, the pain was getting intense. I switched between lying in the bath and using tens machine, stayed awake all night until the next day about 11am I rang the hospital as my contractions were at the level they'd told us to ring and come in.

Got to hospital approx 12pm. Was given a flipping paracetamol! Midwife checked and said I wasn't quite ready yet, told me to going for a walk. I staggered to an abandoned chair, keeled over in agony until I could take it no more. Went back to waiting area for birthing suite where I lay on the floor as the contractions got more painful. Felt like a cow lying on the floor in front of people, it was humiliating. Eventually was taken to birthing suite and threw up. Finally got given gas and air thank God! Next I started pushing , they told me it was too soon and kept trying to make me get into the birthing pool. I didnt want to, they kept pressuring me and telling me off for pushing. I stand up, about to give in and go for that bloody pool. My waters gush out, and there is meconium in them. They abandon the pool idea and tell me to push (after having told me off 15 mins ago for doing so). They get more and more panicked.

Eventually it becomes clear baby is stuck. I got put on a trolley and taken to a room and suddenly feel calm. Horrible shouty midwife who told me not to push had also been telling me to take less gas and air, in this room they told me to take more gas and air. They gave me an episiotomy and delivered the baby with ventouse approx 3.20pm. I also had two tears. She'd been back to back I think they said which makes it harder and contractions worse.

I had a very quick labour, much faster than they'd expected, although the second stage (the pushing) was longer than usual because of her being stuck. I felt like they made me out to be a bit of a drama Queen and did not take my wishes seriously. If I had to go through it again I'd probably choose to not go to the birthing suite, I felt much more relaxed in the clinical setting. I wish I had insisted on pain relief more than gas and air (I was never set against pain relief it just wasn't offered to me). I'm really pleased I ignored them and kept to my instincts of pushing when my body told me to as I knew my baby was ready to come out, even if they didn't believe me. It is such a vulnerable time. I'd read no books nor been to any classes, maybe if I had I'd have known to ask for pain relief - I assumed it would be offered to me. I really respect the team that delivered my baby. She had got into trouble and without them wouldn't be here, but at the same time I think back to that experience with some big regrets about not standing up for myself more. I didn't have a birth plan and don't think I would if I did it again, but I'd make sure they know I want pain relief!

doleritedinosaur Tue 08-Dec-15 14:29:24

I was induced at 37 weeks but was already 1cm & my plug had already come away.
Pessary at 9pm.
Woken up at 2am for blood pressure, I now hate that midwife because that was my last full nights sleep.
Contracting continuously with no break & checked at 9am to pessary falling out & 4cm.
Waters broken at 12:30.
Contractions ramped up, barely remember transition, told doctor I needed to push & she said no as I had just been 6cm but turns out I was 10cm.
Baby born at 2pm with just gas & air.
Absolutely amazing but I did sob for an epidural but there was no time which I'm grateful for as I didn't want it but at the time I did.
Still the best day of my life though, bringing my son into the world.

TesticleOfObjectivity Tue 08-Dec-15 14:29:32

Oh I forgot about the catheter. They put it in wrong at first. The thought of it really makes me wince.

TesticleOfObjectivity Tue 08-Dec-15 14:31:08

What are these pessaries everyone gets?

SparklyTinselTits Tue 08-Dec-15 14:54:49

Testicle you get it at the start of an induction. It's like a huge pill that contains prostaglandins that gets rammed placed behind the cervix to get labour going.

Thankfulforeveryday Tue 08-Dec-15 15:01:43

My waters broke in my sleep, even though it was my due date

Thankfulforeveryday Tue 08-Dec-15 15:03:59

Pressed post too quick....
Anything thought I'd wet myself not my waters breaking!!
Had a pessary 24 hours later, inserted at 11, contractions within 30 minutes, started pushing at 5pm, poo'd myself then ten minutes later she arrived. No stitches, nothing to be proud of according to DM!! ;)

Dixiechick17 Wed 09-Dec-15 03:01:47

I'd had a show following a sweep a few days before and noticed that I was getting more and more every time I went to the loo. Chatting to my friend and she asked if I was getting braxton hicks and if yes to time them. I did that, whilst I was getting them regularly some were 9 minutes apart and others 12. She was convinced it eas the start.

That night I tucked myself up with my hypnobirthing cd and fel asleep, but woke 30 mins later with period pains, couldn't get back to sleep as they felt quite sore. I got my contraction timer out and timed them for an hour and a half. They were coming every eight mins. I then got up to go to the loo, got back into bed and felt a small gush which was the start of my waters going.

Called triage and they said if contractions didn't start by morning to go in and they would discuss induction.

Within the hour I got my first contraction. They had said to go in when 2-3 minutes apart. Next contraction 2 1/2 mins later, and the next. DH called again and they said I could go in but would probably be sent home again.

We went in, had an hour wait in reception where I was busy contracting on all fours. I started to be sick at this point. Finally got taken to the birthing unit, my waters then broke properly in a spectacular fashion and I was examined and found to be 5cm, but still posterior and needed baby's head to come down more.

I got in the pool and within a couple of hours felt an extremely strong urge to push, I thought I must be wrong as it seemed too early to be pushing. I was sick with every push initally and was getting hot and bothered. So I got out of the pool and carried on on the mat on the floor leaning over a giant beanbag.

I had tried gas and air by this point but didn't like had a breathing rhythm by then. So, after a couple of puffs I pushed it aside. Pushing wasn't productive enough, so the midwife made me sit on the loo and push there as it made me properly push down into my bum, the head popped out immediately. We hot footed it back to.the mat on the floor (weird feeling, walking with my baby's head out between my legs!).
Then another push and my DD arrived. 6 hours and 20 mins after my waters started to leak at home smile

Very small tear, small amount of stitches, great experience smile

DisneyMillie Wed 09-Dec-15 16:17:52

Waters broke when I coughed whilst laying on the couch a week before my due date. No contractions or pains or anything.

Then a couple of hours later sudden contractions, 2 mins apart and by the time I got to hospital I was fully dilated and ready to push (although it took a little while to get them to believe me - they thought I just wasn't coping as a first time mum). Baby born 2 1/2 hours after first pain. Too quick for any pain relief except gas and air but I think it wasn't too bad (might be telling myself this because I'm pregnant!!)

Altogether the opposite of the gradual, slow labour that NCT describe to you!

trilbydoll Wed 09-Dec-15 16:24:11

Spent all night in the bath, contractions never got properly decent and regular. Went to hospital for drugs so I could have a nap but I was 7cm so they said no need.

Waters broke during pushing and I hoped it was the baby and I had a really high pain threshold. Sadly not.

Dr came in after 2 hours of pushing, shouted at incompetent midwife for being a twat and not making me push properly or something. We went to theatre. Venthouse flew off DD's head and Dr went with it, he hit the wall! Forceps didn't work either. Had a cs which is what I had really wanted all along grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now