Talk

Advanced search

hi there can anyone recommend what food to take?

(18 Posts)
bonnyb1 Sun 13-Jul-08 21:25:59

We have just purchased our 1st tent and are taking the kids (2 & 5)to the Big Chill festival at the beginning of Aug. We'll be there for 3 nights, can anyone recommend a few meals to rustle up? I was thinking that stuff will only last in the coolbag until sat am (we will get there thurs pm). If I take a frozen homemade veggie meal will it be safe to eat sat night?
Am very excited! Any other 'festival with kids' tips would be v much welcomed smile

serin Sun 13-Jul-08 23:18:54

I personally wouldn't eat food that's been out of the freezer for more than a day, a tent is not the place to be suffering a tummy upset.

You could make some egg fried rice with fresh peas/french beans/sweetcorn/mushrooms in and add a bit of soy sauce.

Or boil a bag of pasta with a jar of sauce!

But TBH I would probably just go for nutella/jam on crusty bread, with loads of carrot sticks/apple slices/grapes and bananas for the whole three days!!!

Have you got enough wine??

LovelyDear Sun 13-Jul-08 23:20:31

get yourself down to m&s and buy some tins of curry, or steak, or casserole. Cook some pasta/rice and heat up the tins. They are YYYYUUUUUUMMMMM. and not full of junk. honest. our kids wolf them down.

LovelyDear Sun 13-Jul-08 23:21:09

oh yes last year our friends got a box of wine and froze it so we had lovely chilled white wine all weekend.

Limara Sun 13-Jul-08 23:25:49

Pasta, sliced carrot & broccoli florets boil & simmer, garnish with cheese, yummy..

Take a curry and reheat, do the rice fresh though.

thelollipoplady Mon 14-Jul-08 10:26:54

after running round all day, it's great to come back to your tent for comfort food.

My top five...

- gnocci with pesto from the jar and grated cheese
- eggy bread with cinnamon sprinkled on top
- couscous - stir in mozzarella, tomatoes and olives with a little jar of tagine sauce from M&S
- noodles with just about anything
- bake a box of camembert cheese wrapped in tin foil on the bbq then dig in with french bread. There's a recipe on bbc good food website...

lots and lots of amazing food ideas in The Happy Campers book - it's fab.

mum2oandh Mon 14-Jul-08 10:30:51

thanks for the m&s tin tip lovelydear <<writes down>> was only going to suggest ainsley harriott cous cous (esp citrus kick) as an accompliment, so easy so nice (honestly)

SpringfieldMum Mon 14-Jul-08 14:42:52

LovelyDear - that's just the BEST idea about freezing a box of wine - I'm so happy that I can have cold white wine this weekend now!!
Thank you!

bonnyb1 Mon 14-Jul-08 17:56:55

thanks so much there are some marvellous ideas here,I forgot about M&S! And I shall definitely be freezing wine, and baking camembert - ooh we'll eat like kings xx

Mercy Mon 14-Jul-08 18:04:16

Cooked breakfast - eggs, mushrooms, baked beans or whatever. Porridge - get the stuff in a sachet

Lunch - sandwiches, fruit etc

Dinner - pesto pasta

Will a freezer be provided? Or is that just campsites?

Crunchie Mon 14-Jul-08 19:49:57

LOVE the frozen wine idea, I need to sort this ASAP

We are taking

Fry up food
Porridge
Pancake mix box (add milk/egg)
Pasta n sauce
noodles and frankfurters
golden savory rice

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Mon 14-Jul-08 19:52:58

Can you really freeze wine? boxes obviously? doesnt it explode ? oooooo i want to freeze some now!

SpringfieldMum Wed 16-Jul-08 14:01:00

Wine box was purchased last night and is in the freezer for the weekend.
Then a friend who is coming has pointed out that a 'reverse still' effect may happen - which apparently means that as the wine defrosts, the first glass will be pure alcohol then the end glasses alchohol free.

I did think about taking half a glass out of the box before freezing but didn't - receckoned that the strong silver lining will contain it.

Shall report back on Monday!

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:05

surely if you keep shaking it it will be ok - or failing that make sure your first in the que!

Pavlovthecat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:31:00

pasta and sauce is the easiest.

Or, as my friends do, go to local military type shop and buy ration packs!!!

Heartmum2Jamie Wed 16-Jul-08 23:07:49

I have read this thread with interest. I thought about pasta and sauce for tea on one of the nights. However, I have a ds2 who has multiple food allergies (and is uber picky to boot) to dairy, egg, wheat & nuts and am honestly struggling to think of what to make for him with no oven. I guess toast or sandwiches for 2 solid days won't kill him right?!

Blandmum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:09:27

cous cous and sauce is even easier than pasta and sauce

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 17-Jul-08 16:47:22

am watching this thread with interest. Am going camping in the alps this summer. We don't do electric hook up and shops are few and far between. I don't want to spend everyday having to find a shop but would like to eat well (on a single burner stove). Also like fresh milk but find half of it gets wasted without a fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now