Talk

Advanced search

Is two middle names too many?

(32 Posts)
SundayRoast Tue 26-Aug-08 20:52:43

Asked this in my other thread blush but either no one's reading the post or no one cares wink

Mairi is now in my top spot as girl's name following helpful spelling advice from MN and I'm on to grappling with middle names.

I'm wondering about:

Mairi Edith
Mairi Elizabeth or
Mairi Edith Elizabeth

Think that two is to many, though would be good to have both as Edith is my mum's name and Elizabeth is MIL's. What do you think?

dizzydixies Tue 26-Aug-08 20:54:23

no

all 3 of mine have 2 middle names each
I figure it shouldn't make any difference as they won't be used, will just annoy them when they're filling in forms grin

Mairi Edith elizabeth is fine imho smile

Aero Tue 26-Aug-08 20:56:38

No. I have two and so do all my children. For some reason, one didn't seem enough for us. Probably just because I've always been used to having two.

Lovely names youve chosen too. Sound lovely together.

lisalisa Tue 26-Aug-08 20:56:41

I htink 2 middle names is fine in principle although your planned ones both starting with E and being fairly long make the whole name a bit long winded. woudl stick to one to be honest or perhaps change elizabeth to lizzie so differnt sounds/lenghts etc

PictureThis Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:25

Our DD has two middle names both of which are family names. We didn't fancy either of them as a first name. Personal choice really.

madcol Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:51

It does seem a bit too much to me. I personally would ditch the Edith. Would either grandparent be offended or would you go for something else?

gigglewitch Tue 26-Aug-08 20:58:33

i think using all three names is lovely.smile

My one Disclaimer is that despite the names being lovely, I had to fill in exam forms for one Charlotte Elizabeth with a ten-letter surname and there were never enough of those little flippin boxes grin

Evelynsmum Tue 26-Aug-08 20:59:29

I don't think middle names really matter and so have as many as you want.

FWIW DN's 2nd middle name is her mums maiden surname.

PictureThis Tue 26-Aug-08 21:00:00

Oh and I think Mairi Edith Elizabeth flows really well. smile

Daise Tue 26-Aug-08 21:00:47

I think it's up to you and like my hubbie to be said, opinions are like a holes, everyone has one!

we gave our little boy 2 middle names, to hell with what anyone else thinks.

differentID Tue 26-Aug-08 21:01:00

I like the configuration you've chosen- it's very musical, but how many syllables in the surname?

SundayRoast Tue 26-Aug-08 21:01:03

I do think Mairi Elizabeth runs better than all three - don't think GPs will be too offended, will just have to have more kids wink

Might have a look at other derivatives of Elizabeth too, thanks for the idea

Still pondering!

jura Tue 26-Aug-08 21:02:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 26-Aug-08 21:02:41

I suspect that having more than one middle name is (in MN terminology) ponce-tastic or trying too hard. But who cares? I always wished I had two middle names - my only middle name being tres dull - so now my child has two middle names (and three more unofficial ones she has chosen for herself) plus a double barrelled surname.

Pretentious, moi?

(apologies to Fawlty Towers)

jura Tue 26-Aug-08 21:04:21

Elmosgirl Tue 26-Aug-08 21:05:33

I have two middle names, never found it to be a problem.

bikerunski Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:03

My sister and I have two middle names, as do both her children. I have also planned 2 middle names for DC1 due in three weeks. When I run out of boxes on those forms, I just put Milly Molly M. Surname. I sometimes have to count the boxes first, but it's not a problem.

hiccymapops Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:45

I think Mairi Edith Elizabeth is a lovely name smile

My little boy has two middle names after both his grandads. I really don't think it matters, because they don't have to use them if they choose not to.

I wish i'd had two, mines just boring!

hanaflower Tue 26-Aug-08 21:11:17

mamaberta Tue 26-Aug-08 21:12:41

Mine both have 2 middle names done to use family names evenly. In practice the third name gets missed off anything official even though it's on the birth certs of both of them. I guess it's because the offishuls don't have enough little boxes on their computers/forms to fit all the names in.

I like your choice BTW smile

hatrick Tue 26-Aug-08 21:18:03

Message withdrawn

dizzydixies Tue 26-Aug-08 21:18:40

<<waves to hatrick>>

hatrick Tue 26-Aug-08 21:26:24

Message withdrawn

dizzydixies Tue 26-Aug-08 21:28:53

not farking likely but appreciate the thought!

Califrau Tue 26-Aug-08 21:29:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now