Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on the name Lincoln

(70 Posts)
sassysuspenders Thu 14-Jan-21 16:09:29

Hi all. Long time reader/lurker first time poster

I am 6 months pregnant with my first child (DS) and I am naming him Lincoln with the middle name Edward or James. There's no familial ties to the name, I just love it and it goes well with my surname. But my ex - who I was with for four years, has told me he was leaving and wanted nothing to do with me or baby. Now he's suddenly decided the name is crap and demanded I change it because it won't go with his last name

Oh I had to laugh at that. I really did. But I was just wondering, what does everyone think of the name Lincoln? I get it might be too old fashioned but my own name is very old fashioned (I'm named after my Grandma who was named after a flower)

Please forgive me for any spelling errors. I'm having a proper good giggle at my ex as I write this

OP’s posts: |
BertieBotts Thu 14-Jan-21 16:12:41

Oh well you'd better give him your name then grin

I don't think it's old fashioned. It's not my taste of name, but old fashioned is not what I think of at all.

youwillbepk Thu 14-Jan-21 16:17:30

I have a Lincoln and love the name it suits him perfectly

sassysuspenders Thu 14-Jan-21 16:17:57

@BertieBotts I'm gonna watch the light die in my exes eyes as I tell him what my babies full name is. I think he's playing Daddy because he's got a new girlfriend and wants to impress her

I've always been attached to the name Lincoln, I cant explain it. :grin:

Nuttypea Thu 14-Jan-21 16:18:47

I love Lincoln! It was in my boy list forever, before I found one I liked just a tiny bit more.

Lincoln James is such a nice name too!
Your ex sounds like a twat.

Tatum1234 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:19:58

It’s lovely. And give baby your surname not his.

sassysuspenders Thu 14-Jan-21 16:21:47

@Nuttypea - My first choice of name was Jacob. But then Lincoln popped out at me while I was shopping. And since then he's been Lincoln James/Edward

Oh I could list all the twattery my ex is and has done. But I'd be here too long

Nuttypea Thu 14-Jan-21 16:22:56

You sound amazing. Lincoln is a lucky boy to have a strong Mumma. When is he due?

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Thu 14-Jan-21 16:23:29

Like the name. It will probably get shortened to "Linc". Lincoln Edward sounds good.

sassysuspenders Thu 14-Jan-21 16:27:13

@Nuttypea - He's due April 10th (around abouts anyway) - Im so bad at remembering things. But I know he'll share a birthday with either my Dad or my Uncle if he comes on time

@Otterseatpuffinsdontthey - I dont mind the shortening of the name, I've started calling him Linc already and he's not here until April grin

june2007 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:29:13

I agree with Ex I am afraid. Not keen on place names for babies., peticularly not Lincoln, (Also makes me think of Abrham lincon with a long beard and huge top hat.)

sassysuspenders Thu 14-Jan-21 16:33:29

@june2007 My ex is a twat. So his opinion really means nothing to me. I love the name Lincoln, I like to be different. There's lots of Tom's or Joshua's but Lincoln is a name I rarely hear around.

But maybe that's me - I dont follow the crowds

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 14-Jan-21 16:34:30

As long as your surname isn't Cathedral or Market 😂 then I think Lincoln James OR Lincoln Edward are both great and 'Linc' is a cool and pretty ageless nickname.

Don't let your dick of an ex influence you at all, just look forward to your lovely baby boy!

june2007 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:36:44

Your ex being a twat is irelevant. You asked for oppinions i gave you mine. Others will love it, others won,t. Not everyone likes the name I chose, but I didn,t ask for oppinions on a form.

sassysuspenders Thu 14-Jan-21 16:39:44

@LadyMonicaBaddingham 😂Luckily my last name is Baker (my last name is double barreled but it feels too posh for me so I just use Baker)

notalwaysalondoner Thu 14-Jan-21 18:29:33

I’m afraid I don’t like it, I associate it with the trend for American surname style names for boys - Jackson, Carter, Cooper etc. I don’t see it as old fashioned but more of a modern trend that came from the US and which I personally don’t like.

But if you love it then go for it. Not sure how to manage the situation with your ex, I guess it depends on how difficult he’ll be about it and how much you want to try and keep a good relationship, and how much you think he’ll stay involved - it would be super annoying to change the name then in a year’s time he isn’t even in touch...

KirstenBlest Thu 14-Jan-21 18:31:49

I know an adult Lincoln, and when I met him I didn't think it was a strange name, and still don't. He's a pleasant and personable man.

RedMarauder Thu 14-Jan-21 18:32:26

Lincoln is a car isn't it?

Wanders off to Google....

Yep..

www.lincoln.com/

FoggyDay58 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:35:04

The name Lincoln was discussed on a Woman's Hour special focusing on names a few weeks ago. It was one of the names becoming very popular in the North of England. If you love it, go for it!

MisiSam Thu 14-Jan-21 18:39:26

I think Lincoln James sounds really cool, sounds like some fancy lawyer or writer.
Great name op

miserableannie Thu 14-Jan-21 18:39:59

Hideous

LizFlowers Thu 14-Jan-21 18:40:37

I once knew a man called Lincoln, he did time for armed robbery so it's a no from me.

Blondiney Thu 14-Jan-21 18:53:27

It's an unattractive name.

PrivateParty Thu 14-Jan-21 19:00:09

I haven't really thought about it before but now you mention it, I like it. I prefer James to Edward for middle name.

Smallonesaremorejuicy Thu 14-Jan-21 19:01:46

I used to know a male nurse by the name of Lincoln, great guy , he emigrated to Canada so lost touch. But I love the name , go for it & I wish you well 🍀

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in