Talk

Advanced search

The Anal problem

(44 Posts)
SammyL100 Sat 03-Mar-18 05:33:52

Don't worry not a misplaced thread!

My sister is due in a week and finally came up with a name she liked for her unborn baby girl: Eliana (ELI-AHNA). Her DH is mixed race so the fact the name has meanings in Arabic Hebrew Spanish was great. Just one glaring problem. Her surname begins with L, so in an age of emails and hash tags where first and surnames are typed together, the babys name would read:

ElianaLxxx (so have the word "anal" in it blush).

She has thought of having the babys name spelt as Elianah but the "h" seems a bit random, which it all honesty would be. Elianna would be pronounced differently so she wants to avoid that.

Can anyone think of similar names that don't have this problem? Or alternative spellings to avoid the anal problem (can't believe I am actually writing thisshock)?

CastielIsMyAngel Sat 03-Mar-18 05:55:02

I don’t think I would even notice an anal in there...

NameChange30 Sat 03-Mar-18 06:06:04

I don’t think it matters and if she wants to avoid it she doesn’t have to use her full first name in her email address, she could just use first and middle name initials plus surname.

NameChange30 Sat 03-Mar-18 06:07:59

(Or use her first name but also include her middle initial)

neveradullmoment99 Sat 03-Mar-18 06:19:46

Include a middle name. Problem solved smile

neveradullmoment99 Sat 03-Mar-18 06:20:21

Also you could make it a double barrelled name - Mums surname and her dh?

neveradullmoment99 Sat 03-Mar-18 06:21:12

For example - Eliana Murphy-Smith

DinahMo Sat 03-Mar-18 06:27:35

There are ways around it, as others have said. And she may not have the same surname all of her life, depending on what choices she makes later on.

If they’re worried about the email thing, they could try setting up hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc addresses for her now which include ./-/_ or her middle initial/name between the names (e.g. eliana.j.lxxx@, eliana_lxxx@ etc

25 years ago we didn’t all have email addresses. Who knows how it will all work in another 25 years. We might just think of the person we want to message and the chips in our heads automatically bleeps them....smile

PoorYorick Sat 03-Mar-18 06:43:40

I'd notice and feel sorry for her. How about Elena?

KochabRising Sat 03-Mar-18 06:48:18

I would t notice. I thought you were worrying g about her actually being called Anal (which is a name in India.)

SammyL100 Sat 03-Mar-18 07:05:58

If it was her personal email address for example yep you can find workarounds but just for work emails which often follow the format first name surname and you get no choice in the matter (I know my workplace does this).

Double barrelling is interesting. Elena I presume is pronounced El-leena?

KingPrawnOkay Sat 03-Mar-18 07:10:50

Technology changes so quickly and dramatically that I wouldn’t even worry about things like email formats or hashtags - it seems quite trivial (Who hashtags their name?) plus you’ve no idea what will still be around in 15 years or so. She should be worrying about whether her and her husband like the name and whether the child will in future - not what her imaginary email address would look like! I for one thing it’s a lovely name and I would never have noticed the word anal until you pointed it out.

mathanxiety Sat 03-Mar-18 07:12:15

Elena I would pronounce 'elayna' as in Russian.

If I were your sister I would add the H to the end of the name.

EasterRobin Sat 03-Mar-18 07:16:10

That's not a common email variation. Most firms I've encountered use firstname.surname. So I don't think it's likely to be an issue.

SammyL100 Sat 03-Mar-18 07:23:36

I didnt notice it hut a friend spotted it and mentioned it to my sister. I hope it is a non issue but she wants to avoid any possible issue later on. I also remember the whole Susan Boyle thing where her album was launched with #susanboylealbumparty to much sniggers (took me sometime to figure out why).

KerplunkChampion Sat 03-Mar-18 07:31:21

Don't do it. If only 1 in 10 people notices, that's still a LOT of anal throughout her life.

OldHag1 Sat 03-Mar-18 07:46:09

Why not just have her first and possibly second initial with her surname? Or use a hyphen or a full stop or something else before the L or first name all in caps surname lower case.

EekThreek Sat 03-Mar-18 08:21:15

Even work addresses don't follow the same pattern all the time. At my work would be eliana.lxxx@... and at DH's it would be e.lxxxx@...

I wouldn't worry about it too much either way. It's only a word and even if people noticed, they'd never say anything because they're grown ups with a bit of common sense.

EekThreek Sat 03-Mar-18 08:24:02

Oh and also, she might decide to go by Eli as a grown up herself, if she's that worried about anal showing up in her email address.

Emma198 Sat 03-Mar-18 08:26:07

What about Elianha instead

Emma198 Sat 03-Mar-18 08:28:33

I think it was #susanalbumparty wasn't it so it looked like Su's anal bum party grin

Lweji Sat 03-Mar-18 08:29:07

I wouldn't worry.
It's not like she'll have a work email when she's in school.
And later it would help her sort out the arseholes from the rest.
Which, btw, the people who spotted it...

MnaSneachta Sat 03-Mar-18 08:31:19

Id change to Elena or Alannah

I saw susan boyle bum party!! I had to read it a few times before i saw the album in fact.

Strugglingtodomybest Sat 03-Mar-18 08:32:12

Just make sure she's brought up with a sense if humour and it'll be fine.

Zaya71 Sat 03-Mar-18 11:57:10

Spell it Eliahna maybe, you'd avoid mispronunciations then. Or maybe use double nn.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: