Talk

Advanced search

Aria?

(35 Posts)
lucieloos Wed 11-Jan-17 12:38:13

What do you think of this for a girl? Alternatives are Ariana or Arianne with Aria for short.

GradToBe Wed 11-Jan-17 12:40:42

I love the name aria. The only negative connotations would be that it is currently used in pretty little liars and game of thrones (although spelt arya)

butteriesplease Wed 11-Jan-17 12:44:12

an Aria is a piece of music I believe - part of an opera? I'm less keen on Aria is is arrr-ee-ah, or is it Ar-i-ah?), but really love Arianne. If you have Ariana, you will get either Ari-Ah-na, or Ari-an-na (depending on where you live) which you may or may not like.
Good luck!

lucieloos Wed 11-Jan-17 12:50:55

I would pronounce A-riah. I see what you mean about Ariana.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 11-Jan-17 12:56:16

I much prefer Arianne.

HalfaFishFingerAndTwoPeas Wed 11-Jan-17 12:58:15

Love it. Very pretty little liarswinkgrin

Queenie72 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:00:30

It's a lovely name , I know a little girl with the spelling Ariya

WeAreEternal Wed 11-Jan-17 13:04:00

I love the name Aria, I have done for a very long time.

I had good friend at school who was called Aria (her mother was a classical musician so it was very fitting, both her DDs had musical related names) and I always loved her name.

If DS had been a girl it would have been his name.

However, I dislike how popular it's become thanks to the pretty little liars tv show and GOT and how it will always now be associated with those shows/characters rather than it's musical meaning.

DramaAlpaca Wed 11-Jan-17 13:15:55

I think it's gorgeous, as are Ariana & Arianne.

ItsyBitsyBikini Wed 11-Jan-17 13:18:30

Love it! I would have called my child Aria if I'd had a girl (had a boy) because of PLL. I love it. Subsequently my sons middle name is one of the lead characters from criminal minds so I'm all with the naming after TV shows.

lucieloos Wed 11-Jan-17 13:28:41

How do they pronounce in pretty little liars?

ItsyBitsyBikini Wed 11-Jan-17 13:43:48

Ar-ee-ah in pretty little liars. Sometimes it's a (like apple)re-ah

Dayna1 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:47:45

It has a nice sound to it, I like it.

ClaryIsTheBest Wed 11-Jan-17 14:28:01

I really love it.

Ariana is nice but I actually prefer Aria.

I don't like Arianne.

NovelDensity Wed 11-Jan-17 14:45:00

I have an Aria, classical music inspired. Love her name, she loves it too.

People often ask how to pronounce and spell it, but you get that with a lot of names.

Some people think of Game of Thrones, but we like the show so it doesn't really bother us. Also it's spelled Arya in GoT, and usually pronounced 'are-ya'.

We pronounce it 'AHH-ree-a', but do get a lot of 'a-REE-a'.

Mostly people comment on what a pretty name it is.

lucieloos Wed 11-Jan-17 14:53:59

Thanks Novel, I was a little worried about the pronunciation but I guess you go with the one you are happy with and then others soon pick it up?

AutumnalLeaves38 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:04:16

Beautiful name. Particularly the AH-ree-ya pronunciation.

Gooseberryfools Wed 11-Jan-17 16:05:34

Aurora

Sophronia Wed 11-Jan-17 20:04:12

It's getting more popular so feels a bit trendy. I know someone who named her daughter Aariah.

midsomermurderess Wed 11-Jan-17 20:06:26

I like it. I also associate it with PLL, but so what.

Pluto30 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:32:02

I don't like it, even though PLL is one of my favourite shows and should've made me learn to like it by now.

Something irks me about the fact that it's only 4 letters long but is 3 syllables. It's poorly balanced or something.

And I just don't like the sound. It's becoming quite popular where I live too.

Bloopbleep Wed 11-Jan-17 20:35:25

I knew a guy called aria always liked it for a boy but I've seen it being used more often for a girl these days.

Purplebluebird Wed 11-Jan-17 20:40:03

Love Aria. Have a Dutch friend named Arja which is also nice (pronounced the same way).

Lovelongweekends Wed 11-Jan-17 20:44:28

We have an Aria, I love it but you do need to be prepared for Game of Thrones comments. As she was actually being pulled out of me I heard a nurse say "at least she isn't a girl with no name"!!

Freedom2017 Thu 12-Jan-17 07:00:59

I know a baby Aria. I had never heard of it before so avoided saying her name for a long time as I kept forgetting how to say it. (I have since seen pretty little liars - never heard of Ezra either until that.)

I also know an Arianna which I prefer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now