Talk

Advanced search

Esmeralda?

(28 Posts)
Mum8 Wed 07-Dec-16 04:41:41

DH suggested the name and thought it will suit DD2 as I picture her with dark brown hair and light olive skin like DD1 and we also have a Spanish last name.
I would not like to shorten the name though if we did use it.
Reading reviews on the name though makes me doubt this choice. Is it that bad? Thought it's sweet and fitting for DD but many people hate it in forums or say good choice for nickname Esme. Do not mind Esme but it's so popular I would prefer DD to go by full name... In general love somewhat unique names but not so uncommon that they end up being too strange.
Is Esmeralda a sweet fitting baby name? Or an OMG horrible, what did you name your child?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 07-Dec-16 05:27:44

The bells! The bells! (to be cried in a Quasimodo voice)

Esme is lovely though.

Pluto30 Wed 07-Dec-16 05:40:54

Don't like Esmeralda at all, sorry. It's OTT.

Esme is meh, but better than Esmeralda.

GreatFuckability Wed 07-Dec-16 06:05:47

I think its fine however a) she might not have that colouring (which doesn't matter at all, but its something to consider) and b) as its long I'm not sure there won't be shortening at some point.

SorenaJ Wed 07-Dec-16 07:08:24

I love Esmeralda, think it's a great name.

SharkBastard Wed 07-Dec-16 07:10:06

Fantastic name, not commonly used and just rolls off the tongue beautifully.

Gruffalosfriend Wed 07-Dec-16 22:07:28

Esmeralda is beautiful!

Esme is not nice at all, sorry, especially with an English accent.

rainbow99 Wed 07-Dec-16 22:24:52

It also makes me think hunchback of Notre Dame, but think it would sound nice on a child you described. As someone has mentioned and something to bear in mind, colouring may be completely different. One of my three children has such different colouring to the others and I have no idea where it has come from!

pepperpot99 Wed 07-Dec-16 23:44:55

Gawjus name. Dont listen to the naysayers!!

ChewedUpRope Wed 07-Dec-16 23:52:12

I think it's really cool!

I also think Esme is a nice nickname for it, but if you don't like it, then just stick to the full name. Not difficult.

Pallisers Wed 07-Dec-16 23:52:58

I actually like it. Never thought of it but it is lovely really.

JudgeJudySheidlin Wed 07-Dec-16 23:56:05

It is actually a gorgeous name, however, for me it is ruined because all I think of when hearing the name is "The bells, the bells!"

Buntysoven Thu 08-Dec-16 00:53:50

One of our tortoises is Esmeralda so I love it.

Shutupandsmile Thu 08-Dec-16 00:58:30

Love love love this name! I'm thinking of it as a middle name for DD on the way grin

AnnetteKertan Thu 08-Dec-16 08:41:41

It's a beautiful name but as it's o long it will probably be shortened, especially if your dd likes the shortening (I go by a diminutive of my name which my parents hate so much so that both of my siblings have one syllable names so they couldn't be shortened!!)

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 08-Dec-16 08:44:00

We named our cat Esmerelda, love the name.

CheLo82 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:59:57

We have an Esmerelda. Everyone we've met so far has commented on how beautiful and unusual it is! We love her name, it gets shortened to Esme by her grandparents. Decided to honour our grandmothers with middle names, very traditional... Esmerelda Joan Ellen... bit of a mouthful but suits our gorgeous girl! 

Sophronia Fri 10-Feb-17 12:48:28

Esmeralda is lovely!

Ordinarily Fri 10-Feb-17 12:55:37

I really dislike it, sorry. It sounds harsh, along the lines of Gertrude or Griselda.

Cherryskypie Fri 10-Feb-17 12:56:49

The bells!

Purplebluebird Fri 10-Feb-17 13:20:11

Esme is lovely, Esmeralda is.... the film!! No way would I call my daughter that, sorry!

crapfatbanana Fri 10-Feb-17 13:21:34

It's beautiful.

EsmeraldaHorrid Fri 10-Feb-17 14:26:27

I like it! From my user name it sounds like I hate it, but I think it's beautiful.

EsmeraldaHorrid was a witch in a comic I used to get as a child and what my mother used to call me when I was being naughty

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Feb-17 14:28:14

Very Quasimodo. I couldn't hear it without thinking of that, said in a slurred voice...

MommaGee Sat 11-Feb-17 00:42:21

DS's first love is an Esmerelda the fact she's a green Halloween witch is not important because he adores her because I love the name so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now