Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Griff?

(29 Posts)
hardtochoose Fri 13-May-16 09:26:48

I'm due with our first baby in a few days and we're still undecided on names. We both really like more traditional/classic names, but everything we like is really popular, and we'd prefer to have a name that's a bit less well-used. We were trying to find a name that isn't too out-there. Solid but slightly unusual is what we're aiming for!

What do people think of Griff? He'd likely be Griffin but known as Griff (with the option for Finn I suppose if he wanted). I like Griffin less, but I do want to have options for shortening/lengthening. My family are Welsh so we like the Welsh connection, but I'm not sure whether it's too random?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 13-May-16 09:51:05

Grif rhys-Jones has done ok on it!
Wouldn't it be spelled gruff in Welsh?

GoldilocksAndTheThreePears Fri 13-May-16 09:58:47

gyazo.com/934a2fdc6dfd5f4e7be421b301cc5ae3 Grif just makes me think of this guy from RvB :D

And oddly enough the wife of the guy who voices him is Griffon www.youtube.com/user/GriffonRamsey

MollieRos Fri 13-May-16 09:59:22

There are a few spelling options, The other version is Griffith, and in Welsh I've seen Gruffudd ("dd" is pronounced "th"), Gruffydd, Griffydd etc. But I think I prefer Griffin to Griffith, and I would want a more English spelling, rather than confuse things with y's and dd's! I consider myself English and my DH is fully English, it's just nice to keep some kind of Welsh link- I have lots of family still in Wales.

hardtochoose Fri 13-May-16 10:01:54

Oops, name change fail! Ah well! smile

DramaAlpaca Fri 13-May-16 10:02:08

I like it. As you say OP it's solid but slightly unusual. A good name.

hardtochoose Fri 13-May-16 10:03:47

Goldilocks I have no idea what that is! smile

Winterbiscuit Fri 13-May-16 10:42:45

It reminds me of the Three Billy Goats Gruff.

squoosh Fri 13-May-16 11:07:23

I like it. Very manly. I'd imagine a Griff having hands like slabs of rock.

plimsolls Fri 13-May-16 11:44:29

I love it.

hardtochoose Fri 13-May-16 12:03:23

haha squoosh smile

winterbiscuit I hadn't thought of the billy goats gruff, but I suppose so!

LentilAsAnything Fri 13-May-16 21:50:43

I really love it. I'd choose Griffin though, so he has options - Griffin, Griff, Fin. Go for it!

nectarini1983 Sat 14-May-16 13:59:55

Horrid

BaskingTrout Sat 14-May-16 15:01:27

a good friend's little boy is Gruffydd, which I really like. we are in wales though, and it doesn't feel like a very unusual name

NoSpamPam Sat 14-May-16 15:10:28

What an utterly ugly name. R u taking the piss? Did you not want this child?

JingsAndCrivens Sat 14-May-16 15:12:35

R u a wanker?

Yes, it would appear that you are.

5BlueHydrangea Sat 14-May-16 15:13:46

Pam that is nasty.
Do you know the saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"...

guineapig1 Sat 14-May-16 15:36:33

Gruffydd and the shortening Gruff is quite popular in Wales. I know of at least 6 under 10s which includes 2 under 2s.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 14-May-16 16:02:55

It's nice. I know a baby Griff.

Pam be a dear and fuck off.

CakeRattleandRoll Sat 14-May-16 17:06:09

I really like it. Would use Griffin/Griffith on bc and Griff for everyday.

pieceofpurplesky Sat 14-May-16 18:05:23

It's lovely and Griffin can be Griff or Fin - so if he doesn't like it when he is older he has a cool alternative

hardtochoose Sat 14-May-16 18:49:19

Hmm, mostly positive I think (except for Pam... wow, don't hold back grin)

We've started trying out referring to the baby as Griff when we remember to see if it sticks. It's so interesting that names are so subjective- this is about the only one that DH and I have both agreed on, and I'm still not 100% sure. I don't want to lumber the baby with a really random name that raises eyebrows every time he introduces himself!

paperdreams16 Sun 15-May-16 02:37:32

I really like it although I think it takes a certain kind of man to fill it, IYSWM. Fine for a child but I would imagine an older Griff to be really solid, strong and confident. Might be difficult for him to 'wear' his name if he doesn't turn out that like that.

Of course that's just my opinion, others may imagine Griff to look entirely different! It's a great name grin

Strokethefurrywall Sun 15-May-16 02:48:06

Griff is an AWESOME name! Use it, great name!

leoniethelioness Sun 15-May-16 08:03:45

I know a few adult and child Gruffs (mostly short for Gruffudd but some just Gruff). It's a completely normal and acceptable name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now