Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Eloise?

(37 Posts)
TakesTwoToTango Tue 20-Oct-15 14:02:06

Really struggle to pick a name for baby girl due in 4 weeks. Want something classic and elegant, not too out there but not too popular either. Ideally something that isn't going to shout 'born in 2015' or hit the top name lists imminently.

What do you think of Eloise? What image does it conjure up for you?

Any other suggestions? I also love Emily, Olivia (but both v popular!), Alice, Beatrice (DH not keen). Can't use Elizabeth or Charlotte.

Thanks!

ashesandfire Tue 20-Oct-15 14:16:17

I love it! I have only ever known lovely, intelligent, sweet Eloises.
I also like Alice from your list.
Madeleine, Louisa, Clara, Lydia, Eliza, Cora, Adelaide, Celia, Nina, Naomi, Rosalind, Saskia, Helena, Eleanor, Felicity, Isobel (too popular?)

MrsCaecilius Tue 20-Oct-15 15:13:17

Really pretty, I also like Heloise as a spelling.

how about Harriet, Louisa, Beatrix, Imogen, Ottillie, Ophelia, Rosanna, Rosalie, Annabel, Isabella, Camilla, Elspeth?

ExBallerina Tue 20-Oct-15 15:16:12

I love Eloise. The one I know is pretty and sweet smile

I also like Elodie.

SilverHoney Tue 20-Oct-15 15:19:53

I love it! This was my #1 baby name but DH didn't go for it bastard I love that lots of different nicknames can be derived from it (Elle, Ellie, Lou, Louise) so it can change as she gowns. A bit like the ever popular Isabelle (Belle, Bella, Iz, Izzy).

Lunastarfish Tue 20-Oct-15 16:10:35

I don't like any of your other suggestions but Eloise is fabulous.

RueDesTroisFreres Tue 20-Oct-15 20:01:10

Lovely, and I don't know any through school, playgroup or baby groups smile

Chewbecca Tue 20-Oct-15 20:02:50

Lovely!

Imogen? Harriet?

MrsEricBana Tue 20-Oct-15 20:04:36

I love it to and my only proviso is that my friend has a sweet Eloise who always seemed to be called "Wheeze" when she was tiny, presumably because other littlies couldn't pronounce Eloise, but it stuck. Elodie is similarly lovely I think.

TakesTwoToTango Tue 20-Oct-15 20:23:43

Ooh loving the suggestions too, especially Imogen, Rosalind, Madeleine. They are all also on our short-list, but don't seem to be grabbing us as first names ( may be contenders for middle names though!).

TakesTwoToTango Tue 20-Oct-15 20:26:16

Eleanor is one of my all time favourite names, but we have already given it to another dc smile

Isabel is what we planned for dd1 until we found out that everyone else of our generation apparently loves it for their dds toosmile

FairNotFair Tue 20-Oct-15 20:31:13

Eloise is a lovely name. Unfortunately, whenever I hear it, I hear that song ("Eloise") by The Damned sad.

FondantFancy66 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:32:57

Love Eloise and Alice form your list.

You already have an Eleanor? Would Eloise and Eleanor not be a bit too similar?

louise987 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:35:45

I love the name. But then I have recently called my DD Eloise (5 weeks old today!).
Classic, not very common and plenty of ways it can be adapted by friends and family smile

Let's keep it between us thou, we don't want it getting too popular!! wink

TakesTwoToTango Tue 20-Oct-15 20:36:15

No Eleanor is a middle name, but I don't want this little one to grow up thinking we were so unimaginative that we had to borrow one of her big sister's middle names as her first name smile

TakesTwoToTango Tue 20-Oct-15 20:37:11

Congratulations Louise!

Abraid2 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:49:49

The only Eloise I know is petite, pretty and quite lively.

FondantFancy66 Tue 20-Oct-15 21:36:52

If Eleanor's only a middle name I'd go for Eloise as a first name. It was on my list.

Enkopkaffetak Tue 20-Oct-15 21:48:46

I prefer Eloisa I find Eloise is getting fairly common and personally I prefer for that not to happen.

DramaAlpaca Tue 20-Oct-15 23:31:57

Love Eloise.

DramaAlpaca Tue 20-Oct-15 23:32:38

Love Eloise.

Pranmasghost Wed 21-Oct-15 13:01:51

Eloise is gorgeous, elegant and pretty which is an unusual combination. I know one adult and one three year old with the name.

TakesTwoToTango Wed 21-Oct-15 14:13:03

Thanks all. That seems quite a positive response shock does no one dislike it?

Does it have any connotations for you? What kind of family would you think an Eloise might come from or job might she do?

Abraid2 Wed 21-Oct-15 15:11:36

The one I know wants to be a doctor and likes acting. Family are middle class professional/creatives.

reuset Wed 21-Oct-15 15:15:09

I like it, though the one I know is known as Ellie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now