Talk

Advanced search

is this still mega popular and overused?

(37 Posts)
BeautifulStars93 Tue 26-May-15 21:47:01

Lily ..
when my first was born we loved it but every other child was called Lily/Lilly/Lilly May. I havent heard any in a while and wondering if the craze has died down?

Sophronia Tue 26-May-15 22:00:15

I think it's still very popular, I know of two born this year already.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 26-May-15 22:02:01

if you like the name then go with it

CrystalMcPistol Tue 26-May-15 23:12:09

It looks like it's on the wane but still pretty popular.

names.darkgreener.com/#lily

reuset Wed 27-May-15 09:59:59

It's not likely to drop off significantly for some years. If popularity a concern then don't use, but it wouldn't bother me.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 27-May-15 10:14:30

Yes. Popular over used and quite frankly plain bland unimaginative. In short I think it's one of the most horrible girls name there is,
But that's just my opinion, and z stranger on the Internet no liking a name is no reason for you to veto a name you like. You may not like the names I like, wouldn't stop my using it though It's obviously popular and over used for a reason,

inmyshoos Wed 27-May-15 10:40:04

I like it. It isn't popular were we live. It is quite a difficult name to say with our accent! I think it is really pretty.
My ex boyfriend had a Grandma called Lily and she was so lovely it makes me love it even more.

RedToothBrush Wed 27-May-15 11:26:31

If you thought it was over used 5 years ago, then I don't get why you think its not going to be regarded as over used still now. The trouble is, that there will lots of older Lilys running around who aren't just going to disappear. Your Lily might not have quite so many in her class but as soon as she leaves school, that isn't going to be as relevant. She'll be just another Lily just a bit younger.

'Over use' tend to last for a generation. Think Claire, Sarah, Emma or Deborah, Tracey, Sharon or Margaret, Patricia, Christine, Barbara. All of which 'place' when you are born to within a few years.

If you want something that isn't over used you have to look away from the most popular names of that particular generation and find something that fits with the time but hasn't peaked or is about to peak quite so spectacularly. The 'safe' ground is generally regarded as something that's 'mid table' in around the 50 - 300th ranked mark. Not too out there but still pretty usually without being mega popular.

My point being that if over use bothers you, then going for something that was top ten so recently, probably isn't the way to go. However if you really like the name then it shouldn't matter how popular it is.

Whiteshirt Wed 27-May-15 15:23:33

There are an awful lot of them around here, mostly under five, some hyphenated as Lily-Belle or Lili-Mae or various other godawful tricksy concoctions.

And to echo another poster, watch out for the local accent, if pronunciation bothers you. The Lilys around here are often 'Lilehhh'. grin

Mamiof3 Wed 27-May-15 18:51:02

If you love a name who cares if there's more than one of them in a class. If you MUST be different for different's sake call her something else but Lily is a lovely name so go for it!

OurGlass Wed 27-May-15 18:59:59

Yes, it's completely boring now.

MrsHathaway Wed 27-May-15 19:09:25

There's loads, sorry. All the flower names have taken their turn - now it's Iris, Violet and similar which feel much fresher.

Mamiof3 Wed 27-May-15 19:12:54

How is a name 'boring', it's the name of a PERSON not some fashion contest to see who can be trendier!!!!

OurGlass Wed 27-May-15 19:14:12

It's my opinion, that's how it's boring. I find the name boring now. That's about it really.

Mamiof3 Wed 27-May-15 19:15:14

Hope you have kids that have literal one off names then, because I'm sure your choices will become boring soon enough

OurGlass Wed 27-May-15 19:15:49

Are you ok? You seem a bit angry?

Mamiof3 Wed 27-May-15 19:16:03

Hahahaha.

No

OurGlass Wed 27-May-15 19:16:25

Ok, good flowers

Mamiof3 Wed 27-May-15 19:16:52

Bet your kids are called Hester and ducking Ottoline or something equally heinous

OurGlass Wed 27-May-15 19:18:42

MrsHathaway, I totally forgot about Violet! I love that. Someone on here the other day said it sounds like violent though, so it's killed it for me a bit now confused

BlueBee Wed 27-May-15 19:20:49

Well I'm biased because Lily is our chosen girls name, I love it.

applecatchers36 Wed 27-May-15 19:23:52

Know three children of friends/ family; a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a baby

Miltonmaid Wed 27-May-15 19:26:53

Op - I only know one Lily and she's 5.
I think Violet is going to be popular. I know one born this year and two who have been given it as a middle name. Personally, I don't like it because it reminds me of Violent.

MagentaVitus Wed 27-May-15 19:26:56

So popular, so dull, and too infantile. I know 12 ranging from 24 to newborn.

monkeyfacegrace Wed 27-May-15 19:30:32

If another baby is introduced to me as Lily, Isobel (or any spelling variation of), Sophia, or Ava I'm going to cry.

Same for boys called Ethan or Harry. Enough already!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now