Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Daphne or Adriana?

(40 Posts)
flowerygirl Tue 30-Dec-14 21:04:21

I'm expecting dc2 but am keeping the sex a surprise. Convinced we are having a girl though!

I absolutely love the name Daphne, always have but also like Adriana.

Interested to hear your opinions! I like uncommon but not mental names grin

christmaspies Tue 30-Dec-14 21:06:13

Daphne is not my cup of tea, but I really like Adriana

flowerygirl Tue 30-Dec-14 21:11:25

Is it because it's old fashioned? Or a bit twee?

christmaspies Tue 30-Dec-14 21:14:12

Old fashioned.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Tue 30-Dec-14 21:15:27

I love Daphne. Adriana is trying a bit hard to be different...

afreshstartplease Tue 30-Dec-14 21:16:53

Adriana

Also like Adelaid, Arianna and Arabella

Sure there's another one too....

MrsBungle Tue 30-Dec-14 21:17:28

Adriana is a lovely name. I find daphne very frumpy, reminds me of daphne broon!

Mintyy Tue 30-Dec-14 21:18:31

Daphne.

I would have named my dc2 Daphne, but then he turned out to be a boy! Pesky child.

flowerygirl Tue 30-Dec-14 21:19:30

I'm leaning towards Daphne.

Lovely names afreshstartplease but I already know a baby Arianna and Arabella. Plus my niece is called Bella, so too similar.

Deerhound Tue 30-Dec-14 22:42:13

Daphne. I think it is softer and friendlier sounding than Adriana.

DramaAlpaca Tue 30-Dec-14 23:16:58

I like both, but Daphne just edges it for me.

SurfsUp1 Wed 31-Dec-14 05:06:16

Daphne sounds like she'd be a bit dim to me. I think it's because it sounds a bit like daffy.
Adriana is much prettier

vomistheworst Wed 31-Dec-14 08:19:48

Daphne! I've always thought of it as quite a glamourous name, not frumpy at all.

burgatroyd Wed 31-Dec-14 08:50:44

From a practical perspective Daphne is more distinctive. D names are quite rare and as it is a consonant will stand out. Her name won't be confused and is less likely to be misspelled.

Adriana will be in a class heaped with other A names as it is the most popular letter for girl names. She will be there with Abigail, Alice, Arabella, Ariadne, Athena, Arianna, Alannah, etc. Nothing wrong with this but teacher may stumble trying to get whatever a name out. Also Adrianna is likely to get shortened to Adi, again confused with Abbie, Evie...

I speak from experience as one of my dcs has a consonant name that is never forgotten or misspelled. The other has a vowel name that is very pretty but takes a little longer to remember. This has bothered me less over time as its such a lovely name. smile

Ihearthickson Wed 31-Dec-14 08:51:02

Daphne. Another option could be Margot?

Sophronia Wed 31-Dec-14 10:44:36

I prefer Daphne.

flowerygirl Wed 31-Dec-14 12:44:17

Daphne wins! Now to convince my husband grin He said he can 'live with it' hmm

I prefer it anyway but burgatroyd has made me think about the problem with A names. Plus my husband has already pronounced it 'Adri-AHH-na' rather than 'Adri-anna'. Should be the latter in my book!

Pandora37 Wed 31-Dec-14 13:55:56

I'd pronounce Adriana adri-ah-na as well. I know an Adriana who pronounces it that way too, although she's from Eastern Europe so don't know if that makes any difference. I think if you really don't like it pronounced adri-ah-na then you should ditch it as it's likely to be pronounced that way a lot.

I love Daphne!

TheNewStatesman Wed 31-Dec-14 14:08:04

Both nice, but perhaps Daphne is the nicest?

JoanJettPack Wed 31-Dec-14 14:11:17

Adriana is a beautiful name. Daphne reminds me of the old lady off Eggheads.

Deerhound Wed 31-Dec-14 14:11:20

I'd also pronounce it Adri-ah-na.

Btw, I suspect that some of the "Daphne sounds dim" comments stem from the character in Frasier. I wouldn't worry about it as no one under 35 will have the association (and anyway, she was a lovely sweet person)

RL20 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:17:32

Adriana is lovely. Also could be shortened to Addy, Dree, or even Riana!
Daphne is a nice unusual name and I don't personally know of anyone with that name. But for me, I can't see past Daphne from Scooby Doo. But I'm in my 20's so that's just probably because of my era! X

sleepybee Wed 31-Dec-14 16:46:54

Love Daphne! Is she the glam red head from scooby doo?

It is sort of like Penelope or Harriet style

RL20 Wed 31-Dec-14 17:05:44

Sleepybee, yes I think she was the redhead! I think the other one was called Velma or something! Or Thelma? I can't remember x

flowerygirl Fri 02-Jan-15 13:48:43

Haha that's funny Deerhound, my husband said people would think of the Daphne from Frasier. I think it's a lovely name and our children's generation will never make that association!

Yeah I think I'll have to ditch Adriana because of the 'ahh-na' pronounciation problem. Unless I spelt it Adrianna, which I'm not sure is even a real name?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: