Talk

Advanced search

Edward or Edmund

(39 Posts)
emmaloulabelle Tue 04-Nov-14 17:32:57

Which one?
Edward is more common, so less likely to provoke a strong reaction.
Edmund still gives us the same nickname options, but it's less popular. Would you snigger at it though?

scurryfunge Tue 04-Nov-14 17:35:30

DS has the second one as a middle name. Born in BSE but we do get some Blackadder comments.

lornemalvo Tue 04-Nov-14 17:37:31

Makes me think of Mansfield Park. Every time I read it I think how much nicer Edward is.

Takver Tue 04-Nov-14 17:43:17

Of the two, I'd choose Edmund - but I like Edgar even more smile

Takver Tue 04-Nov-14 17:43:45

I would think of Mansfield Park / Narnia, rather than Blackadder . . .

ThursdayLast Tue 04-Nov-14 17:44:07

Edmund - Ned gets the thumbs up from me

squoosh Tue 04-Nov-14 17:56:29

Edward is the superior name.

Edmund reminds me of that awful drip from Mansfield Park. Also I think the 'mund' part of Edmund feels and sounds terribly prim.

BiancaDelRio Tue 04-Nov-14 17:57:36

Edward is a great name.

Edmund is....um.....not.

nowitscleanugobshite Tue 04-Nov-14 18:01:37

Edmund is the name of the racing driver, Eddie Irvine. That's enough association to put me right off!!!

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 04-Nov-14 18:34:34

Ah, I was coming to say Edgar too Takver!

emmaloulabelle Wed 05-Nov-14 06:44:53

Looks like Edward is the winner. Thanks everyone.

Choccyhobnob Wed 05-Nov-14 14:03:42

Edmund does make me think of Blackadder, and the pain in the butt from the Lion, Witch & Wardrobe...

I like Edward

elotrolado Wed 05-Nov-14 20:26:42

Agree with the Mansfield Park sap - Edward just sounds so much nicer smile

Poofus Wed 05-Nov-14 20:27:53

Not Edmund.

GertrudeBell Wed 05-Nov-14 20:35:54

Have you considered Edwin?

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Nov-14 20:38:02

Edward.

VioletVelvet Wed 05-Nov-14 20:42:18

Edward, definitely.

Bowlersarm Wed 05-Nov-14 20:42:56

Edward.

in2theblues Wed 05-Nov-14 20:49:15

Edgar (g for good) a gentle, deep soul with the best interests of everyone in his heart.

Edmund (m for malevolent) a bitter, revengeful beast, branded as a bastard but irresistible to Lear's corrupt daughters.

All of the above were products of Shakespeare's genius.

WhiteHairReally Thu 06-Nov-14 00:40:32

I need to redress the balance. I have an Edmund! He's 'old' by MN standards - 18 (outing herself)

When he was born, the vicar said, 'Ah, Edmund, King and Martyr' and the curate (a bit of a thesp) said, 'God stand up for bastards!'

When he was little, only our lovely GP used to refer to him, affectionately I like to think as 'Little Blackadder'.

Edmund in 'King Lear' is far more exciting and frankly sexy than wishy washy Edgar. Edmund in 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' makes a journey and turns out good in the end - far more interesting than Peter anyway.

Our Edmund was supposed to be nnamed 'Ned', but we forgot to call him that. At school, he became 'Ed' anyway so he was indistinguishable from all the 'Eds' who were actually 'Edwards'. He likes his name and being a bit different from the crowd. Its a name that definitely fulfills the MN criteria of being a 'proper name' but well outside the top 100.

I still love the name, by the way. Can you tell?

And virtually everyone is a wimp in 'Mansfield Park', except for those naughty Crawfords, and the elder brother.

Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 09:55:52

I like Mansfield Park, and Edmund! Frankly, if you were picking an Austen man to marry, I reckon he'd be a much better bet in terms of doing the 18thC equivalent of his share of the housework & childcare. Darcy, for example, would be too busy swanning around looking cool to notice if one of the dc's noses needed wiping or to help solve the problem if the nursemaid gave notice unexpectedly.

emmaloulabelle Thu 06-Nov-14 20:20:48

Thanks WhiteHairReally!
Edgar makes me think eggy...
I'm considering Edwin, I'm just not sure yet.

MrSheen Thu 06-Nov-14 20:28:14

I can't get past The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe. He was a wee shit.

ScreamEggsAndHam Thu 06-Nov-14 23:14:22

Definitely Edward. smile

EugenesAxe Fri 07-Nov-14 00:10:54

I always liked Edmund the Wee Shit and the Drip, personally. And I like the name, but probably as much as I like Edward TBH, so not much help.

I've never really decided which Biblical character (if any) Edmund might be supposed to represent; maybe Saul/Paul. After his experience he becomes all wise and indeed his description is 'The Just'; I'm sure he says something very comforting about how repentant traitors can be saved to someone feeling bad in a later book. Eustace, perhaps. He wasn't such a nasty character then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now