Talk

Advanced search

is karma an evil name to give to a boy?

(28 Posts)
talktalktalk Tue 20-Sep-11 14:53:20

baby's daddy came up with the name karma as it's made up of the start of his name and the end of mind ( sweet i think )we also decided this woiuld be o.k for a boy and also a girl. however when i told my mum this, she didn't seem keen and pointed out that a boy with this name would get picked on in school! now i don't know weather to look for another name or not. any thought on this? all opinions welcome.xx

coccyx Tue 20-Sep-11 14:54:47

Hope your surname is not Sutra

CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 20-Sep-11 14:55:12

Not keen sorry.

CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 20-Sep-11 14:55:41

What would it be with the start of your name and end of his?

CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 20-Sep-11 14:56:08

<<arf>> at cocx.

smile

talktalktalk Tue 20-Sep-11 14:59:07

hahaha i'm wishing my last name was sutra now smile it's a mix of karl and gemma.xx

Stokey38 Tue 20-Sep-11 15:00:51

I actually know a Karma and although I thought it was very weird before I met him, I think it suits him and like it now.

Bunbaker Tue 20-Sep-11 15:05:46

Sorry. I don't care for "made up" names. My first thought was Karma Chameleon and then Karma Sutra. Children may not know but adults will titter if you choose this name (and teachers will think what the...!)

greenzebra Tue 20-Sep-11 15:08:14

if its a middle name it doesnt matter really does it? He wont be registered at school by his full name and if he is the rest of the class wouldnt know. Middle names are supposed to mean something to me, not just a name you like so I like it.

I knew a girl called Nala she was named after her Dad Alan. Seamed cool.
I think the reason is sweet and unusal so why not.

greenzebra Tue 20-Sep-11 15:09:09

was trying to say use it as a middle name

steamedtreaclesponge Tue 20-Sep-11 15:10:08

I get that it's a mixture of your two names but everyone who meets your son will assume either that you're massive hippies or that he was conceived on a yoga retreat...

LydiaWickham Tue 20-Sep-11 15:11:24

Nope - he'll hate you for it. Can you imagine a grown man applying for a job as an accountant with that name?

Stick to real names, although it would be a cute middle name.

AnyoneButLulu Tue 20-Sep-11 15:12:47

Middle name only (boy or girl)

happyforthemostpart Tue 20-Sep-11 15:16:35

wouldn't say it's evil but people will judge him....

and he will spend his whole life saying "yes, karma, like the karma sutra"..... spare him the abuse!!

Bunbaker Tue 20-Sep-11 15:17:40

I don't think people will judge him, but they will judge the parents.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 20-Sep-11 15:17:52

No, bad idea all round. Its a word with connotations applied to it, don't do that to him.

ShirelyKnottage Tue 20-Sep-11 15:18:28

No. It's awful.

For either sex. He/She will spend their lives saying "Yes, yes, Karma as in What Goes Around Comes Around, yes like Karma Chameleon, yes I am a calm person, HA HA <twitch> No I don't like Chicken Khorma, <shotgun>"

greenzebra Tue 20-Sep-11 15:19:33

I didnt think Karma Sutra (obvisously mn's have sex on the brain wink)
I thought of Karma as in good karma bad karma.

babynamesgrrrrrrrrrrrrr Tue 20-Sep-11 15:24:01

it would be bad karma to give a name like that to an innocent child

gnushoes Tue 20-Sep-11 15:25:34

Yes, it's evil. There are plenty of real names out there.

Stupid idea.

Satan's got a nice ring to it but I wouldn't lump it on a child.

talktalktalk Tue 20-Sep-11 16:13:30

maybe it's time for are think, it's so hard to think of a cool name noone else has....better start brain storming!! so far i have 1 boy who's name i got from red dwarf another boy with a name from buffy and my little girl has a buffy name, so maybe i'll stay with a sifi name.xx

tryingtoleave Tue 20-Sep-11 23:27:19

'oh no, hear comes karma!' is what I think of

MaMattoo Wed 21-Sep-11 00:32:19

I know two men called Karma. It's a popular boy name for Buddhist people. It means 'positive wishes' apart from other things. 'karm' (silent a) also means duty.

Call him Asa. Asa is a cool name but not twatty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now