Talk

Advanced search

Lovely gift for a time poor but capable sewist?

(16 Posts)
Muddymits Sat 09-May-15 09:53:31

Can anyone help me with finding a lovely gift for my great friend who loves to sew. I want something special, something up to £100.

Argh she got me something so fab and so 'wow I did want this and would never have thought to get it' special and I am failing to do the same.

Please share any ideas-she does quilts sometimes and clothes too

frenchfancy Sat 09-May-15 12:04:48

Decent rotary cutter and a big cutting mat.

Or Some lovely fabric.

GetMeOut Sat 09-May-15 17:44:25

A Liberty voucher ? She could then spend it on fabric or something else luxurious ? Unless you know her taste really well and are comfortable choosing fabric ? I always think Liberty fabric is extra special and can be used for clothing or quilting.

pluCaChange Sat 09-May-15 17:55:56

What about cutting something out for her?! I'd LOVE it if someone did that for me!

JoanHickson Sat 09-May-15 18:00:32

I like the idea of you cutting something out for her.

SponsoredByTheBadFairy Sat 09-May-15 18:20:49

Hmm, some lovely fabric (or voucher) plus a promise to babysit/clean/whatever for an afternoon so she has the time to sew?!

Muddymits Sat 09-May-15 22:04:17

Thank you for these ideassmile my plan is coming together - ha if only I could purchase a cutting out fairy for both of ussmilesmile

pluCaChange Sun 10-May-15 10:14:33

sad at lack of cutting out fairy. There's a superstition here: a cutting out fairy dies every time someone skips Home Ec!

lavendersun Sun 10-May-15 15:09:03

I think I am in the (reasonably) capable without any time category OP.

Things I have loved to receive are things like Merchant and Mills card patterns in my size, Ernest Wright Scissors. Have never received any but I always buy lovely fabric, current favourites are Liberty cottons from Sewbox, linens from Merchant and Mills and most things from Stoker Mills.

As a treat to myself (am good at that wink), I am going on a workshop to make a wall hanging, I have never ever done anything like that. I am hoping that it will be fairly complete in a day rather than not and adding something to my unfinished pile (obv will be smaller than photo!).

www.helenhowestextiles.co.uk/class/treesupply.html

Muddymits Sun 10-May-15 22:02:06

That's where all the fairies went Huh, plucachange...

Lavender, aah now had forgotten about MandM card patterns, bet their linens are lovely too.

Lovely ideas. That course looks great, enjoy itsmile

lavendersun Sun 10-May-15 22:07:17

I forgot - more advanced books too, I bought this last month and even though I haven't got the time to sew for another month or two right now I can look at the lovely photos/pictures:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1408127598?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Muddymits Mon 11-May-15 00:16:52

Well I can't sew at all and still fancy that book so yup I think that looks good toosmile

frenchfancy Tue 12-May-15 20:46:37

That book is on my wish list smile

lavendersun Thu 14-May-15 07:16:52

It is lovely frenchfancy. I had a little read last night in bed. I am feeling very deprived. I have two major deadlines in June, once they are out of the way I will be found at my sewing machine, often.

poppyinstitches Thu 14-May-15 10:08:49

fabric voucher would be lovely, Liberty is great. Maybe Merchant and mills? A great pair of sissors/shears.

Halsall Tue 19-May-15 18:29:07

Not sure if this thread has petered out but there's a lovely shop called Raystitch which stocks droolworthy fabric, patterns, notions etc etc. they do gift vouchers and you can buy online. Link here
I'd love the chance to blow £100 there! What a generous friend you are, OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now