Talk

Advanced search

Where could a novice crocheter get some wool that wont break the bank but doesn't squeak when you use it :D

(36 Posts)
TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 11:41:55

I have no idea where to buy some wool from at all

thanks in advance

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 11:45:04

actually I also need to understand which wool to buy
I am clueless

Fontofnowt Thu 27-Feb-14 11:46:50

I'm a novice too I got mine from Amazon.
Only the cheap stuff for starters though.

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 11:48:23

ok thank you

is there lots of different types?

colditz Thu 27-Feb-14 11:49:30

Charity shops, or free cycle.

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 11:53:49

oooh very good idea

I've not seen any wool in our charity shops but I'm going to ask them smile

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 27-Feb-14 12:03:18

DK or double knitting yarn is probably the most used. Work with a 4mm hook. Charity shops often have yarn, as do Wilkinson's, Poundstretcher, Lidl, The Range - but these might be squeakier than a mouse colony. Still, good for practice.

If you do get near a yarn shop then Stylecraft special costs between £2 and £3 for 100g and is lovely and soft to work with. Get a light colour to start with as it is harder to see your stitches on black, navy and dark brown. They do lots of lovely pink shades, though. grin.

There are lots of online shops too like Deramore's and Kemps. They are cheaper per ball than a shop but you need to factor in postage costs. Kemps have a clearance section that has yarn for less than £1 - but watch the postage.

whatdoesittake48 Thu 27-Feb-14 12:04:56

I recommend stylecraft special DK - I usually hate squeaky acrylic wool too - but this is great and feels really soft and nice. it also doesn't split the way some natural yarns do.

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 12:05:49

ooo thankyou very much Woolly

dk, right I can do that

off to check out Kemps smile

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 27-Feb-14 13:18:44

I am a self confessed yarn snob, but Stylecraft DK doesn't squeak works really nicely feels lovely.

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 13:56:04

thanks lonecat smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 27-Feb-14 14:49:47

I can't stand squeaky wool - seconding Stylecraft DK - I get it from Deramores but other people use wool warehouse.

Some nice stuff in poundland/poundstretcher as well though.

yegodsandlittlefishes Thu 27-Feb-14 14:55:19

I did my first few blankets with the Stylecraft yarn that's been recommended. It is really good and comes in a great range of colours. I tend to get it from Deramores when they have a Stylecraft offer on. (If you use Quidco, the refund works there too apparently).

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 27-Feb-14 15:01:01

Have a good look round I use wool warehouse, Deramores, Masons and Love Knitting (lovely packaging) I just buy from who has the best deal at the time.

IDugUpADiamond Thu 27-Feb-14 15:05:32

Another vote for Stylecraft Special DK. I detest acrylic but this yarn is lovely for a budget yarn and such a selection of colours!! Kemps don't stock though.

MiaowTheCat Thu 27-Feb-14 15:14:49

Sure I've seen Stylecraft chunky at least in the physical Kemps store this month! Was in there with my mum introducing the staff to the grandkids she keeps buying for (they do a cracking line in baby clothes - overstock for some of the big shops mainly!) Remember seeing it and a stylecraft stockists sign on the door and thinking "oooh must ask if they've got the new colours in to have a prod" (and then promptly forgot - coming out with about 9 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pyjamas and no wool whatsoever). Might not do it online yet though.

RunRunRuby Thu 27-Feb-14 15:21:39

Another vote for Stylecraft Special DK. I also got some okay wool from Wilkinsons. It was about a £1 a ball I think, not squeaky. I can't remember what it was called but it was baby wool.

IDugUpADiamond Thu 27-Feb-14 15:30:09

Kemps do sell some yarns from the Stylecraft range, but unfortuntely not Special DK which is absolutely perfect for a novice crocheter (I am one!) as you can really delight in creating lots of crazy colour combinations.

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 16:41:39

right so I'm after Stylecraft special DK

thanks everyone smile

laura2323 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:46:40

I've just started too and my nan (who is my teacher!) swears by the wool from b&m and has bought me a bundle. Haven't used it yet so couldn't tell you if it squeaked but it's only £1.10 for a big ball x

sewingandcakes Thu 27-Feb-14 17:12:33

I found it easier to learn to crochet using super chunky wool, and a 12mm hook, if that helps.

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 17:41:11

thanks laura smile

sewing, I'm using a 4mm hook cause my crochet love began when I wanted to do a square for a wooly hug so I had to use it grin

ComfyLeatherChair Thu 27-Feb-14 22:12:14

Also ebay -you can get some great deals on Rowan etc, and I've also bought some 'mystery stashes' that have been great value, and lots of fun to receive and dig through.

And if you want 'posher' yarn then John Lewis do some great sales, but you need to check every day as they sell out very quickly.

I have turned in to a yarn addict. I enjoy the hunting around for a bargain as much as I do the crocheting!

Did someone somewhere mention a mumsnet 'yarnaholics' facebook page on another thread? I know it's invite only and I would like to join!

What are you going to crochet Trinity?

TrinityRhino Thu 27-Feb-14 22:33:22

I'm doing a baby blanket for the woolly hugs ongoing project

I've done a star tonight with some of dd2s wool grin

I can do flowers too, very basic but still smile

OwlCapone Fri 28-Feb-14 11:22:57

Stylecraft special Dk is perfect for a Wooly Hug blanket. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now