Talk

Advanced search

To not spend double on a present when my twins are invited to a party

(38 Posts)
brook1 Fri 09-Oct-09 12:24:13

Am not really sure what is right to do. My twins have been invited to a party for one of their classmates. I would normally spend about £7-£10 on a present, which appears to be an average amount here (have discussed this with my close friends).

This party is at a play thing which probably costs around £10 per head. I have bought a present and spent a little extra - £12. Do you think this is mean or ok?

For the record, when I have had parties for my twins, it is VERY obvious that many spend much less on each present because they are buying for 2. I totally understand that it gets expensive and have no problem with this myself. But, will everyone else think the same way.

tattycoram Fri 09-Oct-09 12:26:11

Absolutely fine in my book.

pofacedandproud Fri 09-Oct-09 12:26:39

I don't think it is mean at all.

LadyoftheBathtub Fri 09-Oct-09 12:26:53

I think you're fine. After all I have one child, some friends have two or more, they each get a present from us (on different birthdays obv) but when they come to DS's party they don't give him a present each. Not a problem at all.

pofacedandproud Fri 09-Oct-09 12:27:08

we always have a brother and a sister at ds's parties and they always bring one present.

Spoo Fri 09-Oct-09 12:28:49

YANBU.

Sassybeast Fri 09-Oct-09 12:29:10

YANBU. I would alwayd do one present from siblings, twins or otherwise.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 09-Oct-09 12:30:46

YANBU - when twins have come to DS's parties, they have brought one present. I wouldn't have expected otherwise.

ellipsis Fri 09-Oct-09 12:31:04

YANBU. Makes sense to me.

ChilloHippi Fri 09-Oct-09 12:32:31

YANBU. What you have spent sounds fine to me.

pooexplosions Fri 09-Oct-09 12:33:00

YANBU. And if the hosts are sitting around calculating the costs of presents vs cost ofr party / by no of attendeees, they have serious problems of their own, imo.

Relax, you're fine.

Mybox Fri 09-Oct-09 12:34:10

I'd take two presents as it's nice for each child to give something & if there are party bags they'd most likely get one each.Plus the birthday parents are paying for both your kids to be at the play centre.

FABIsInTraining Fri 09-Oct-09 12:34:41

YANBU.

If going to twins parties I would send a gift for each twin but if my 2 children are going to a single child's birthday I would buy 2 gifts.

Ivykaty44 Fri 09-Oct-09 12:35:25

No - some people will spend £5 on a present for each party their children go to - other people will spend £12 on each present, everyone is different and earn different amounts.

What is lovely in my book the thought that has gone into the present and that doesn't always equarte with expense.

Jamieandhismagictorch Fri 09-Oct-09 12:36:05

No, YANBU- that is absolutely fine. Oh, and I don't thhink you should worry about your present covering the cost of the party.

Firawla Fri 09-Oct-09 12:43:21

yanbu i think its fine

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 09-Oct-09 12:44:38

My DSs friends the triplets bought just the one pressie to his party and I thought that was fine.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 09-Oct-09 12:46:09

it's a present for the birthday child, not per child attending, isn't it?

SmokingKnickers0nMahead Fri 09-Oct-09 12:52:07

just one present from both of them is fine.

MorrisZapp Fri 09-Oct-09 14:01:36

YABU

Only kidding.

GeeWhizz Fri 09-Oct-09 14:08:44

DD had twins to her party and one present - perfectly acceptable

MilaMae Fri 09-Oct-09 14:30:29

I only spend £4 for bd parties so you're spending double what I do anyway-I have twins too. Also they get so much from parties(far and above what any child really needs) nobody should be worrying about how much is spent at all. Our gifts are pretty much family gifts anyhow,from us all(dd is also close in age)

My twins just had their party and they were thrilled with every single present. I think thought about what you are giving is worth far more than price. One of mine has suddenly got into Top Trumps and one of his friends gave him some Bug trumps-one of his best ever presents apparantly and so thoughtful.

I think expensive party presents are really bad for children to be honest,to receive 20X gifts over £5 would be very excessive imho. If a mother wants to spend £10 a head on her child's party that's her choice. To have that spent on a child is enough, presents big or small are an added bonus.

Pikelit Fri 09-Oct-09 14:40:43

I'd go with a "one party" rather than "two twins" rule meself!

SixtyFootDoll Fri 09-Oct-09 14:42:49

Yanbu to buy one present
Yabu to tot up what everyone spends on your children though

Jamieandhismagictorch Fri 09-Oct-09 14:50:39

I agree Mila A £2 present can be more thoughtful than a £10 one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now