Talk

Advanced search

Covid likes cold and damp. Britain in winter is cold and damp. AIBU to think it would be a good idea to do all we can to eliminate it in the summertime?

(37 Posts)
ChavvySexPond Mon 22-Jun-20 17:29:37

Shouldn't we be throwing everything we've got at Covid now, while we have the climate advantage?

OP’s posts: |
bigknickersbigknockers Mon 22-Jun-20 17:32:35

I think we are throwing everything at it. What else would you like to be done that's not already being done?

SillyBub Mon 22-Jun-20 17:32:50

What do you mean "throw everything at it"?

Kahiki Mon 22-Jun-20 17:36:44

Firstly, nobody yet knows enough about this virus to be able to say “Covid likes cold and damp’

Secondly, what do you think we’ve just been doing?

Crazycatlady83 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:39:20

But if it likes “cold and damp” - why are they getting +++ new cases / deaths in Brazil and India (for example) where the temperature is currently very warm (27/28c)

I think it’s more that virus likes to multiply, to do that it needs hosts, when we are indoors (as we mainly are in winter), it’s easier for the virus to do that. When we are outside, apart from each other, the number of cases reduce.

BillywilliamV Mon 22-Jun-20 17:40:58

My Goodness OP! How have we managed without you all these weeks?

TrickorTreacle Mon 22-Jun-20 17:41:10

It's not possible to eliminate covid and I don't think there will be a vaccine for it any time soon. Remember there are 4 other coronaviruses in the wild and there are no vaccines for those either.

We just have to face it. A lot of people who have died from covid will have died within a year anyway from one of the other 4 viruses.

ChavvySexPond Mon 22-Jun-20 17:43:49

Is reducing social distancing to 1m and not yet having a fully functional test, trace and isolate system the best situation we could be in if we want to reduce cases and deaths?

WhoWants2Know Mon 22-Jun-20 17:43:54

Out of curiosity, in hotter countries are people more likely to have air conditioning and stay indoors to avoid heat?

ChavvySexPond Mon 22-Jun-20 17:45:02

New Zealand certainly seemed to think they had emulated Covid until they let a couple of infected Brits in.

Kahiki Mon 22-Jun-20 17:45:20

@ChavvySexPond the WHO have always recommended 1m and lots of countries follow this advice that have don’t much better than us with our 2 metres.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 22-Jun-20 17:45:53

What? Like Jenny Harries just said?

Yes. Obviously!

Kahiki Mon 22-Jun-20 17:45:55

*have done

ChavvySexPond Mon 22-Jun-20 17:47:35

Recirculating air such as in air conditioning has certainly been implicated in Covid outbreaks in restaurants for example, and I think it might well be a factor in why it spreads more in hot countries rich enough to have air conditioning.

ChavvySexPond Mon 22-Jun-20 17:48:11

We just have to face it. A lot of people who have died from covid will have died within a year anyway from one of the other 4 viruses.

No.

Kahiki Mon 22-Jun-20 17:49:00

Where has it been implicated, do you have a source?

Newgirls Mon 22-Jun-20 17:50:16

Losing weight and improving our health would be a good start in the uk. But we won’t.

cologne4711 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:53:15

New Zealand certainly seemed to think they had emulated Covid until they let a couple of infected Brits in

They were New Zealanders who happened to have begun their extremely long journey, involving a change of planes and at least three airports, in the UK.

InsaneInTheViralMembrane Mon 22-Jun-20 17:59:28

You do realise we’re not as a nation sunbathing north of Hadrian’s wall? And yet despite these cold and dreich days we’re still doing rather well in terms of community transmission.

jerometheturnipking Mon 22-Jun-20 18:05:03

You know it's winter in New Zealand just now? And yes to the PP who's pointed out that it's not been Taps Aff weather here but here we are with 14 cases today (9 of which in care homes).

singme Mon 22-Jun-20 18:15:12

I have been following Devi Sridhar on twitter and think she makes good points about elimination in Scotland. It’s the best chance of getting back to normal but I’m not sure it can be done if we relax things too much.

wildone84 Mon 22-Jun-20 18:15:16

ChavvySexPond

New Zealand certainly seemed to think they had emulated Covid until they let a couple of infected Brits in.

They weren't Brits, they were Kiwis (btw)

Beatrixpotterspencil Mon 22-Jun-20 18:21:49

Perhaps the cold and damp thing is due to how in winter British people crowd together more indoors and in pubs, etc.
More likely to spread That way ...

Throwing something at it - I’d suggest a large brick 😁

imissmydad Mon 22-Jun-20 18:25:45

A virus that likes the cold and damp seemed to spread pretty well in Iran

Samtsirch Mon 22-Jun-20 18:28:41

I would say Britain is cold and damp for most of the year.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in