Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not accept new tenants currently on furlough?

(186 Posts)
misstiggiwinkle Fri 22-May-20 16:42:23

I am letting out a small flat in London and have received an asking price offer from a couple, the main earner is currently furloughed. AIBU not to accept their offer as I am worried that they will be made redundant and then not be able to pay the rent?

TheQueef Fri 22-May-20 16:43:44

Yabu

Hawkin Fri 22-May-20 16:44:07

biscuit

WhenISnappedAndFarted Fri 22-May-20 16:44:51

yabu

Squarepegina Fri 22-May-20 16:45:31

Yabvvvvvvvu

araiwa Fri 22-May-20 16:46:03

Your flat, your choice

Sparklingbrook Fri 22-May-20 16:46:05

Yep

HotDogGuy Fri 22-May-20 16:46:15

As a landlord I’d be worried about their ability to pay going forward. I’m not sure what I’d do.

GreytExpectations Fri 22-May-20 16:46:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Fri 22-May-20 16:46:40

You’ll have other applications surely? This can’t be the only one?

HotDogGuy Fri 22-May-20 16:46:43

But this site is not friendly to ‘evil’ landlords

canigooutyet Fri 22-May-20 16:46:48

What would happen if a working couple moved in and found themselves in the same situation?

funinthesun19 Fri 22-May-20 16:47:01

YABU. If everyone had the same attitude as you then lots of people would be fucked.

molifly14 Fri 22-May-20 16:47:58

YABVU

Grumpylockeddownwoman Fri 22-May-20 16:49:20

What if anyone gets made redundant really.

Tedgy Fri 22-May-20 16:49:32

Yanbu. Maybe anyone that thinks you are could offer them a room instead?

babyt2020 Fri 22-May-20 16:49:32

Wow I don't know why you're getting such a beating! It's YOUR property with no doubt a lot of money in it and you have to be cautious, I wouldn't accept them no. Being a landlord is scary and you need to protect yourself, back off everyone! 🙄🙄

LillianBland Fri 22-May-20 16:50:37

It’s a difficult one, OP, but so many people are furloughed at the minute, that you may have difficulty getting someone who isn’t having difficulties. I think it might depend if their job strives you as something that will survive the inevitable recession. At the end of the day, there are going to be a lot of people losing their jobs, even the ones currently working, so you’ve no guarantees.

Leaannb Fri 22-May-20 16:51:29

YANBU.Anyone saying you are is daft. Why would you rent to anyone without a stable income

OutOfHours Fri 22-May-20 16:52:25

I dont think your being unreasonable, once they are in if they can't pay, you lose out on money and have the stress of trying to get them out.

You could ask for more information on their furlough though, most of my team are furloughed but at the moment only until the end of this month.

MotherOfFiveCats Fri 22-May-20 16:52:40

OP, YANBU. Many posters will say you are unreasonable, that it’s not their fault, assuming that you’re a millionaire landlord with a hundred properties that you raking the money in and screwing private tenants etc - but most landlords only have one rental property, you probably have a mortgage to pay yourself and non-paying tenants in these uncertain times could lead to financial ruin - so the main consideration is if they can’t pay, and refuse to leave (possibly on the advise of the council) can you afford to lose all this money, and the money it takes for an eviction?

RincewindsHat Fri 22-May-20 16:53:14

No, of course it wouldn't be unreasonable. Can you afford to be stuck paying the mortgage for them and subsidising them to live if it turns out they can't pay because they don't have a job? You do have to consider that as a very real possibility (assuming there is a mortgage still on the flat you're letting). It's not your responsibility to put yourself in a precarious position just because other people are going through a challenging time. How will it help anyone if your finances are compromised as a result? People lose out on rental properties for any number of reasons.

lyralalala Fri 22-May-20 16:54:53

I think this is a tricky one. As a person I wouldn't want to turn away someone based on this, but as a LL it's tricky

I've found it's actually better to rent to someone on benefits than someone going onto benefits as it's a fucking nightmare for people the way UC is set up to take so long. When my previous tenant was made redundant it took 15 weeks for UC to kick in due to delays in getting appointments, and errors made by them.

Do you deal with your tenants yourself? Did you meet them?

If you liked them then speak to them and tell them your concerns. They may be able to put your mind at rest if they know their return date, or they might be able to afford it with one income. Don't discount them without speaking to them I'd say

KKSlider Fri 22-May-20 16:55:32

Could you ask for a guarantor?

LetTheSecretOut Fri 22-May-20 16:55:37

Do you have landlord insurance covering non rent payment?

If they get made redundant woukd they then be entitled to housing benefit?

I thought the point of furlough is to avoid redundancies in the main.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »