Talk

Advanced search

To loose my shit over this...?

(75 Posts)
malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 21:49:19

On placement during a practical two of the students laughed as i made a silly mistake ...it was daft and i normally wouldnt sweat it but they kept laughing and talking as though i wasn't there saying things such as " she did this, this and this....." Basically having a joke at my expense. I know i wasnt making it up as another student touched my arm in a reassuring way and told me " its ok."
Ive noticed another occasion during lunch when they are talking about me as though im not there.
If it happens again should i say something or rise above it. Of course i don't want to show that it's got to me but i feel they could do with a good dressing down..
In context they are a good 20 years younger than me but i am fuming....

NaughtyButNice Wed 26-Feb-20 21:54:04

Totally unacceptable and unprofessional behaviour to display in the workplace. It could easily be perceived as bullying.

Treat is as you would a work place problem, speak directly to them and if things don't improve escalate to someone more senior.

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:12:29

One friend rekons that i shouldn't say anything as it might escalate. I rekon i should as i want to stand my ground...what do you lot rekon ?

BillywilliamV Wed 26-Feb-20 22:14:16

You definitely need to stand up for yourself and have it out with them.

HoneysuckIejasmine Wed 26-Feb-20 22:16:22

Sorry I'm not understanding. Are you a fellow student? Or are you a teacher?

Either way that's not a nice experience

TitianaTitsling Wed 26-Feb-20 22:16:47

What's your placement? Are you a nursing student? Absolutely call them out- ask them what their issue is.

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:18:37

Fellow student...20 years older. They do jack shite but are popular with the young staff and they think study is " uncool." Gah!

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:19:02

Radiography

elenacampana Wed 26-Feb-20 22:20:56

You have to rise above it. It’s not 1952, we don’t ‘dress down’ or ‘have it out’ anymore. It’s far too confrontational a way of dealing with unwelcome behaviour.

Speak to your mentor, create a thread in the staff room. You need to speak to other education professionals - you’ll just get loads of ‘back in my day’ here and that won’t do you any good.

Thicker skin OP - teaching is getting harder.

Strongmummy Wed 26-Feb-20 22:21:56

Take them for a coffee and have a chat

elenacampana Wed 26-Feb-20 22:22:57

Sorry I’ve just read back and actually it’s really unclear about what you’re doing. Are you a student teacher/nurse/something else?

Ohyesiam Wed 26-Feb-20 22:24:35

Teaching?

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:24:53

Student

NotStayingIn Wed 26-Feb-20 22:30:06

I wouldn’t say anything. Just wipe their arses in every exam, assessment, etc from now on. People will soon get bored of their crap. At the end of the day you want to get the best out of this, focus on you not them. (But it’s hard, I would want to deck them.)

RedRed9 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:32:19

Being older than them has got nothing to do with it.

But they sound like bullies. I’d speak to them quietly and let them know that you’re also a human being and that they hurt you.

Geepipe Wed 26-Feb-20 22:33:33

I would say something. I hate this shit of allowing people to get away with whatever they want because they know no ones going to confront them.

Geepipe Wed 26-Feb-20 22:34:51

Also if you are studying radiography then they are going into the wrong profession with such shitty attitudes.

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:35:17

Coffee???? Chat?? Nah

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:36:39

I have totally wiped their arses so far anyway but work is uncool apparently. And they perform really well in the practicals dammit.

FedUpOfAdulting Wed 26-Feb-20 22:40:01

Work might be "uncool" now but it won't be when you're the one getting the job they wanted because you're the one who got the grades and gave a shit!
They're twats OP, rise above and keep doing your best. They're probably jealous insecure and cover it with their twatty behaviour.

outherealone Wed 26-Feb-20 22:46:53

@elenacampana I hope you don't mentor people or work in any support type roles

malificent7 Wed 26-Feb-20 22:52:49

If it happens again i will politely tell them to stop and see my student mentor.
I have no idea why this has got to me so much. I think it's because i have doubts about their character bit have been nice to them regardless in an effort to form a professional working relationship...then i get this. I should have trusted my instincts.

glitterfarts Wed 26-Feb-20 22:57:36

Just coldly say "we're not in high school anymore girls, do grow up".
Roll eyes.

They sound immature and really young. I wouldn't want someone like that radiographing me - imagine how they'd be talking afterwards about patients.

Iminaglasscaseofemotion Wed 26-Feb-20 23:02:37

Next time I would just say "sorry, what was that?" make them repeat it, hopefully they will be embarrassed. Then if they do repeat it, just say "hmm" or "oh" with a bewildered look.

Iminaglasscaseofemotion Wed 26-Feb-20 23:03:23

Or a sarcastic "good one".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »