Talk

Advanced search

...to think that mass gift-giving to teachers at end of year is tacky?

(242 Posts)
MuddlingThrough Fri 13-Jul-07 11:06:27

Do teachers really want 30 packets of Cadbury's Roses, bought because the high-street shops have sented out yet another way to turn genuine sentiment into a tacky marketing opportunity? Or should we just say thanks instead?

elasticsortinghatstand Fri 13-Jul-07 11:08:18

good idea. let's make a stand, do we dare, and why not? thye will have a different teacher next year after all.

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 13-Jul-07 11:09:15

Yes, we should be able to say thanks instead really or perhaps make a card or something but it is pressure from manufacturers etc ...it's all got horribly out of control !

cazzybabs Fri 13-Jul-07 11:09:39

All my parents countributed to get me some vouchers - brillianr!

Wine is also good!

Presents for teachers good!!!!

RedLorryYellowLorry Fri 13-Jul-07 11:09:50

I think I may just do a little card this year and no pressies. As you say it gets a bit

foxinsocks Fri 13-Jul-07 11:09:56

yes

I feel I deserve a present for making it through the year too

RedLorryYellowLorry Fri 13-Jul-07 11:10:46

I have done wine in the past but both dd and ds's teachers are pregnant so that's a no no really.

moondog Fri 13-Jul-07 11:10:54

lol fis
Me too!!

elasticsortinghatstand Fri 13-Jul-07 11:11:26

i tend to leave it up to my dc... and then on the last day i get "why didnt we get a present"

moondog Fri 13-Jul-07 11:11:29

salts like presents too
<heavy cough>

No cheap choccies though please.

Hathor Fri 13-Jul-07 11:12:22

Agree with OP. It is also unfair on all the support/admin/other school staff. Genuine expression of appreciation is so much better.

cornsilk Fri 13-Jul-07 11:12:32

You can never have too much wine!

MaccaMacca Fri 13-Jul-07 11:12:50

A nice Fridge Magnet says it all really not tacky at all!!

MuddlingThrough Fri 13-Jul-07 11:13:10

School secretary should give me a present for managing to return most consent forms etc only a week or so late.

AngharadGoldenhand Fri 13-Jul-07 11:14:31

Yep, tacky, expensive and unnecessary.

MuddlingThrough Fri 13-Jul-07 11:16:55

But seriously, in my young day the government respected teachers by not telling them what to do all the time, and parents and kids respected them and appreciated them too, and almost *no one* ^bought presents^. It's crazy.

emj23 Fri 13-Jul-07 11:19:03

In a way, I feel I should get DS's teacher something purely because everyone else will and he has been quite naughty at times during the school year. But then at the same time, his teacher has been a complete cow to him sometimes too. Hmmm. You're not being unreasonable in not wanting to give a teacher yet another box of Roses though.

dinkyboysmum Fri 13-Jul-07 11:29:29

i'm with cazzybabs!
presents for teachers are great! unfortuntly i'm on maternity leave now, so will miss out on the end of year pressies

Parents at my school usually all club together to make one big gesture (usually vouchers) which is fab...but choccies and wine are equally appreciated!

cazzybabs Fri 13-Jul-07 11:33:06

Why not get a big box of biscuits for the staff room? Then everyone can have some....

mummyrex Fri 13-Jul-07 11:33:06

I don't give gifts and that's the end of it. I don't think it should even be allowed at all other than a handmade (by the child) card.

There is so much wrong with the idea that it isn't even worth discussing. If someone has done something really noteworthy then write to the school or teacher about it.

ktmoomookimono Fri 13-Jul-07 11:33:09

my daughter not like her teacher and we dont either not sure we gift giving , teacher has not been a great teacher at all

BarefootDancer Fri 13-Jul-07 11:58:30

I used to work in a back-room role. Was mighty peed off when front-room staff got all the pressies at Xmas. Please teachers share your pressies with the back-room support staff.

NineUnlikelyTales Fri 13-Jul-07 12:02:55

I feel so badly for my DH pupils. The little mites buy him armfulls of tat every year (teddy bears with 'best teacher in the world' on them etc) and it all goes to the charity shop or in the bin. Plus he hates chocolate so I have to eat all of it (well the stuff that isn't repulsive}. It's such a waste of money for the parents. DH loves it when he gets a handmade card or once a kid decorated a mug. Those he keeps.

The best present he ever got was 3 cans of Lidl lager and a packet of wine gums, from a 9 year old

MuddlingThrough Fri 13-Jul-07 12:08:05

Yes, and what's the carbon footprint of all this tat? (Lidl lager and wine gums is sweet, tho.)

OrmIrian Fri 13-Jul-07 12:11:29

I don't really care if it's tacky TBH. We only do this when my children want to which until recently they didn't. Wine goes down very well IME Just make it a reasonable one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now