Talk

Advanced search

Mistook a boy for a girl

(156 Posts)
justmakemeacuppa Tue 26-Mar-19 20:14:47

Was in the park with the kids and my youngest was sat at the top of the slide while a kid was sat behind her. So as any parents would encouraged my kid to go down by saying the little girl at the back of you wants to go down the slide.
Kid then turns round and says I’m a boy! Was a bit taken off guard and didn’t really know how to reply other than sorry. This kid had lovely long blond hair tied up in a ponytail and baggy shorts which could have been mistaken for a skirt but it was the hair that made me think he was a girl.
So now I’m wondering have I just come across a gender fluid family? Does SHE want to be a boy are in fact is he a boy that just likes his blond hair ? I’m happy to go along with anyone’s choices in life but surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.? Or maybe mum doesn’t give him a choice as he did have lovely hair? He did seem upset I called him a girl though. Just mentioned it as I keep reading about people bringing their kids up gender neutral and wondering if this is going to become more of a thing letting kids decide their own gender.

Limensoda Wed 27-Mar-19 13:33:11

You are giving this far too much thought.
You thought he was a girl. He corrected you. You said 'Sorry'
That's all there is to it.

SockKnittingMum Wed 27-Mar-19 14:37:58

Really? He's a boy with long hair...it's no big deal. My 11yr old has long hair and so does his best friend! They are both boys, they just like their hair long.
Both have been mistaken for girls and rightly correct peoples assumptions.
Hair length is not gender specific.

JessieMcJessie Wed 27-Mar-19 14:48:26

WFT you mean you live in a Sikh area? smile

flowery Wed 27-Mar-19 14:57:59

”surely if he doesn’t want to be mistaken for a girl you’d not have a girls hair cut.”

What’s a “girl’s hair cut”?

Vulpine Wed 27-Mar-19 15:05:16

If it's 'no big deal' why the 7 pages of comments and sweary defensive posts.

RiddleyW Wed 27-Mar-19 16:32:12

If it's 'no big deal' why the 7 pages of comments and sweary defensive posts

I think you’re misunderstanding what isn’t a big deal. A boy having long hair is no big deal. A person thinking a boy with long hair is a girl and/or gender fluid actually is a big deal. A big enough deal, to me, for me to comment on anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »