Talk

Advanced search

To ask a question about Dirty John (on Netflix) SPOILERS

(39 Posts)
Strongenoug3 Sun 03-Mar-19 19:10:06

Just finished watching the series & now I'm watching the documentary.

On his & Debra's first date, why did he go and lie on her bed? He was clever and capable of duping people, so why did he make such a basic mistake on the first date? Was it on purpose? I don't understand it.

Namechange8471 Sun 03-Mar-19 19:11:01

He was high on drugs and needed a lie down.

BitOfFun Sun 03-Mar-19 19:11:59

I think he was quite deliberately pushing her boundaries to see what he could get away with. Classic psychopath move.

EdWinchester Sun 03-Mar-19 19:13:23

Because he was a twat, but lucky for him, she was too.

Wantobeacat Sun 03-Mar-19 19:13:32

I wondered that, then I thought he wanted her to feel bad for asking him to leave? I gave up on this series as it got a bit confusing for me, I don't have a great attention span though.

BitOfFun Sun 03-Mar-19 19:13:41

And once he'd called her to apologise the next day, and she gave him another chance, he knew he was quids in.

Strongenoug3 Sun 03-Mar-19 19:19:06

Because he was a twat, but lucky for him, she was too. Ah I think that's a bit harsh. I know it seems that she was unbelievably stupid, but we have the advantage of the creepy music and trailers.

Testing her boundaries makes sense. I'm watching the documentary now and there are so many women he's duped. Why do so many women fall for dodgy men?!

Lotsofsausage Sun 03-Mar-19 19:20:52

He probably thought he was on a promise, I did watching it !
My question is how was she so stupid?

EllenBach Sun 03-Mar-19 19:21:03

I think it was because he had recently been released from prison and not used to such a comfortable bed.

EdWinchester Sun 03-Mar-19 19:28:22

I have watched the Netflix series and the documentary and have not changed my mind about Debra.

She is an immature, selfish woman. She put herself and her romantic ideas about 'the one' before her family, despite her lamentable relationship history. Honestly, I wanted to shake her.

I am not surprised her elder daughter refused to participate in the documentary.

Strongenoug3 Sun 03-Mar-19 19:28:23

My question is how was she so stupid?

Especially when, looking at her business, she isn't a stupid woman. It's funny how the kids picked up on something being wrong about him.

MaMisled Sun 03-Mar-19 19:32:02

He'd only been released from prison two days earlier and I think...like Goldilocks. ...the temptation of a big, soft bed was too much.

GoogleBroughtMeHere Sun 03-Mar-19 19:37:36

On the documentary she says she realises now that it was because he had no where else to go having just got out of prison and wanted to try to stay.

frustratedindivorce Sun 03-Mar-19 19:39:50

I think it was so she'd get annoyed and he could "fuck up" then win her over by apologising, pretending he thought it might all be a bad idea anyway and showing his sensitive side to force her into the role of pursuer

MishMashMosher Sun 03-Mar-19 19:40:04

Where can I watch the documentary please? How true to the real events is the Netflix series?

NotANotMan Sun 03-Mar-19 19:41:01

I couldn't understand that at all, it seemed so clumsy and not in keeping but when it came to the flashback he was just desperate and high.

MishMashMosher Sun 03-Mar-19 19:42:13

Agree that the flashbacks were confusing. They didn't seem to explain anything and seemed really random.

Strongenoug3 Sun 03-Mar-19 20:06:01

On the documentary she says she realises now that it was because he had no where else to go having just got out of prison and wanted to try to stay. I've just got to this bit! That makes sense.

MishMash the documentary is on Netflix too called Dirty John: The Dirty Truth. The series is very true to real life, and also excellently cast.

ArsenicNLace Sun 03-Mar-19 20:10:15

I agree with BitofFun he was just testing her boundaries. He'd probably already worked out that her boundaries weren't very good because she allowed him into her home address the first time she met him which shows very poor judgement on her part.

ArsenicNLace Sun 03-Mar-19 20:11:30

I think the podcast explained it all very well.

GoogleBroughtMeHere Sun 03-Mar-19 22:17:14

MishMashMosher the documentary is on Netflix. It's on the 'trending now' section.

Barrenfieldoffucks Sun 03-Mar-19 22:19:24

We just watched the series and then the documentary. Scary fucker.

Eric Bana's look of pure rage at talk of a post nup was worth the series alone.

MishMashMosher Mon 04-Mar-19 16:41:03

Thank you. That gives me something to watch tonight.

ViolaD77 Mon 04-Mar-19 17:03:26

Because he wanted to stay the night as he was homeless

Leighhalfpennysthigh Mon 04-Mar-19 17:55:00

Eric Bana is delicious blush

Sorry for the derail.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »