Talk

Advanced search

to be at a complete loss for what to buy MIL for 65th birthday?

(42 Posts)
Wedgiecar58 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:32:54

posting here for traffic

Can't think of anything to buy MIL as a 65th birthday present?

I thought about organising her a beautiful cake, but she's taking us all away for the weekend so I wont be able to sort from where we are (remote location).

FIL suggested salon vouchers for facials, massage etc but we're doing a spa day with treatments as part of her birthday trip. Seems a bit silly to gift her vouchers for treatments on the day she'll have just had 2 treatments.

I suggested Jo Malone perfume but DH said this was too expensive.

Any suggestions? Ideally under £60 or so.

Thanks

GreatDuckCookery6211 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:41:23

Could you transport a cake to where you’re going? Everyone loves cake.

What are her interests or hobbies? What does DH think?

NCforthis2019 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:42:43

Afternoon tea.

RomanyQueen1 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:44:19

A bus pass holder?
Nah, just kidding.
We usually do something like an experience day, or out for afternoon tea at posh place.
Vouchers are a great idea and if they come from several families and given together the recipient doesn't know who paid what amount.

storynanny Thu 21-Feb-19 11:44:48

Buy her the perfume if it is her favourite.
Im 62 and would love afternoon tea, perfume, nice skeins of yarn, theatre trip or kindle books. But equally would be happy with a lovely bunch of flowers

Damia Thu 21-Feb-19 11:44:52

Silk scarf type thing? Handbag?

RomaineCalm Thu 21-Feb-19 11:46:32

Book subscription so that she gets a new book every month for the next 6/12 months.

NorthEndGal Thu 21-Feb-19 11:47:45

What about something really nice for the house, that she wouldn't treat herself to?

I am sending you a PM of what I mean, I just don't want to be accused of touting for business by mentioning names or that

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:48:38

Let your DH sort it out if he won't let you buy her the perfume she likes

BigGapMum Thu 21-Feb-19 11:49:49

National Trust membership for the two of them? Theatre tickets?

Bumblebeezy Thu 21-Feb-19 11:50:31

What about a fresh flowers subscription? I think Bloom do one for £60.

TSSDNCOP Thu 21-Feb-19 11:51:30

A rose bush.

Jo Malone candles are lovely, but cheaper than the scent.

Dixiechickonhols Thu 21-Feb-19 11:51:47

Woman and home magazine subscription

Dixiechickonhols Thu 21-Feb-19 11:53:19

Cake sounds good. The m and s made to order ones transport well and will keep a few days.

NorthEndGal Thu 21-Feb-19 11:54:01

FFS
I tried to send a PM, and it went there timesshockconfusedblush
I am not your stalker, I'm an sorry, and please don't feel you need to respondblush

FlagranceDirect Thu 21-Feb-19 11:58:45

A visit to an escape room I got for my 60th. Loved it. Depends if you like that sort of thing though. I'd hate a massage or facial.

Stoplosingthedarnkeys Thu 21-Feb-19 12:45:03

What does your DH suggest then? She's his mother.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Thu 21-Feb-19 12:47:00

If she likes flowers then a subscription would be nice if it’s in your price range or an afternoon tea.

Furrydogmum Thu 21-Feb-19 12:52:05

We bought mil a voucher for afternoon tea at a nice local hotel for her 70th this week - groupon are good for them.. She was delighted!

Lizsmum Thu 21-Feb-19 12:55:58

I'm going to be 65 next month and I neither need nor want anything that I have to store in my house. Maybe an experience voucher .... but I'd rather my nearest and dearest kept their money to spend on themselves.

RomanyQueen1 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:02:55

A subscription for her favourite magazine.
Theatre tickets are usually a good idea.

altiara Thu 21-Feb-19 19:06:28

Afternoon tea for two. Then she can take a friend or FIL out. Never fails when you don’t know what to give as long as they like doing this kind of thing, or theatre tickets at the local theatre for two. My DM and MIL don’t like to be given ‘stuff’ as they’d prefer to start decluttering at their age, so much prefer this kind of thing.

FurrySlipperBoots Thu 21-Feb-19 19:16:51

How about theatre tickets? Might work out a bit expensive depending on how many you go for. You could just get 2 so she can go with her OH or a friend? If she has a sense of humour and enjoys Fawlty Towers type comedy she will LOVE 'A comedy about a bank robbery' and 'The Play that goes wrong'. The play that goes wrong is only in the west end but Bank robbery is actually touring this year.

www.thecomedyaboutabankrobbery.com/uk-tour/

importantkath Thu 21-Feb-19 19:17:43

Theatre tickets

worldwandering Thu 21-Feb-19 19:20:09

David Austin rose if she’s the gardening type.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »