Talk

Advanced search

To want to report this nursery?

(71 Posts)
Janeych Fri 14-Sep-18 12:43:14

Witnessed some absolutely shocking behaviour today from staff of a nursery school on a group outing with the children. I’m a mum of 2 little ones and what I saw brought a tear to my eye, just imagining if they were my children being treated like that and I’d never have a clue. No idea of how to go about reporting this or what to do, but feel I must do something, any advice anyone? Thank you x

Neverwrestlewithapig Fri 14-Sep-18 14:38:18

If it’s the nursery on a farm in the midlands that I know of then it’s part of a local chain so you could report it to their head office.

I would definitely report as although each incident may seem minor to some, it could be part of a bigger picture. Are the staff nurturing enough? Do they have enough support and training? You and I can’t answer that so you need to pass the concerns onto someone else who can.
Btw, if that was my child’s nursery then I would absolutely want you to report it.

Clandestino Fri 14-Sep-18 14:42:42

@Nesssie - customers? Toddlers? Are you serious? Also, how many false alarms can children have? They are still learning how to recognise their own needs when it comes to weeing etc. Of course they will have false alarms but they need to be taken seriously.

OP, please report this. I'd be horrified if someone treated my child like this.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Fri 14-Sep-18 14:45:10

The only problem with reporting it tonthr manager is that she might not actually care. The staff you witnessed obviously behave like this generally so imo think it's ok to do so. The manager might be of the same mindset.

Report to Ofsted.

Creeper8 Fri 14-Sep-18 14:48:06

I still cant believe a poster thinks its acceptable to refuse a 3 year old to use the toilet! even if he “does it all the time” its unnacceptable and neglect!

EricTheGuineaPig Fri 14-Sep-18 14:56:54

I'd report to the Nursery Manager in the first instance and see how they respond - if they seem disinterested or to be not taking it seriously then move on to Ofsted.

I'm a childminder and, yeah 2 and 3 year olds can be tricky and do your head in by refusing to leave places or asking for wees they don't need, but that's all part and parcel of the job. You absolutely do not show that you're feeling annoyed. An internal eye roll and a bright and breezy, 'are you sure you can't wait til we're back x?' is the way anyone remotely professional would deal with it.

PeaceRiot Fri 14-Sep-18 15:29:24

I would definitely report this to Ofsted (care commission if you’re in Scotland). They’ll work with the manager to address this. As you don’t use this nursery I don’t think it’s on you to go to the manager first and then try to determine if they’ve addressed the problem. The inspectorate will do that. What you describe does sound like a poor culture rather than just one ill thought out comment. I think that nursery needs intervention.

ZanyMobster Fri 14-Sep-18 17:16:37

Creeper - I don't think anyone actually thinks it's ok to not let them go to the toilet but the OP only has a snapshot of what has happened. They may have taken him 2 mins before, 2 mins before that and 2 mins before that. No one knows the full situation here, for all the OP knows they could have spoken to him about it, she has only mentioned that she heard them say to each other not to take him.

They absolutely shouldn't have spoken in the way they did and of course that needs addressing so a simple call to the nursery would suffice in the first instance surely and if there wasn't a satisfactory response then Ofsted is next port of call. None of us really know what has happened in full.

Aaaahfuck Fri 14-Sep-18 17:18:53

Report it to oftesd and the nursery manager it isn't good if they think this is OK!

MissusGeneHunt Fri 14-Sep-18 17:23:36

Just a thought - what happens if one of the staff members was the manager?

A report in writing cc'd into Ofsted and Early Years of the Council involved perhaps?

MissusGeneHunt Fri 14-Sep-18 17:24:21

Oh and a pp said 'film it' - probably not a good idea considering....

comeasyouare1 Fri 14-Sep-18 17:28:58

Ofsted. No question, all complaints are dealt with seriously and they will investigate

llangennith Fri 14-Sep-18 17:31:07

Surely the point isn't whether the kids didn't want to have wristbands on or that they didn't want to leave the area.
The attitude of the nursery staff, as evidenced by their comments, shows a complete disregard for the happiness and wellbeing of the children in their care. Those small children will sense their hostility and annoyance and I'd be reporting this to anybody and everybody asap.

Janeych Fri 14-Sep-18 18:13:43

@erictheguineapig I did wonder this about the manager. One of the more hostile-seeming staff was an older woman (not that ages has anything to do with anything) who seemed to have an air of thinking she was the boss, whether she actually was or not!

Janeych Fri 14-Sep-18 18:16:49

Thank you all so much for your comments. As someone said, if this was a nursery I was connected to, I would contact the manager. However, all things considered I’m going to report the facts exactly as I stated above to Ofsted and then leave it in their hands. It’s their area of expertise after all, not mine that’s for sure! As many of you have said, if I were a parent of one of those children, that’s what I’d want. It does kill me a bit that I can’t find the actual parents and suggest they move their babies elsewhere ASAP!

Janeych Fri 14-Sep-18 18:18:16

@neverwrestlethepig this wasn’t a Midlands nursery, I’m from there but we were passing though this area on the way back from a holiday

Janeych Fri 14-Sep-18 18:20:09

Sorry meant to tag @missusgenehunt re manager comment!

MissusGeneHunt Fri 14-Sep-18 18:26:06

@Janeych - no worries! Good on you for being vigilant - if my son had of been one of those children I'd be pleased that you'd taken action!

3littlebadgers Fri 14-Sep-18 18:30:51

I'm a nursery teacher. Reporting is absolutely the right thing to do. The language we use should make a child feel valued regardless of the circumstances. The behaviour the staff in the op displayed would have automatically rendered them as unsatisfactory in a SSTEW inspection.

MissContrary Fri 14-Sep-18 18:52:22

Hmm, if all the staff were acting like that I wouldn't be confident the manager will be any better.

ZanyMobster Fri 14-Sep-18 19:20:37

Didn't even think about one of them being the manager, looking at it that way reporting to Ofsted is probably the only thing you can do really.

Slipp3rs Fri 14-Sep-18 19:35:06

Definitely report.

Years ago I when I was a first time
Mum I was at a soft play centre and there were some childminders. I was shocked at there lack of care or responsibly. The children where bullying each other and the childminders were sat drinking coffee.

I’ve never forgiven myself for not saying something to them or reporting them.

Felt so sorry for the children they were looking after especially the younger ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »