Advanced search

To want to accept this council house.

(141 Posts)
TotallyChorkie Sat 26-May-18 08:55:45

More of a WWYD?

We have been on the waiting list for 10 years. We currently rent at £1000 pcm and have never been able to save for a deposit to buy. The house is small and we have 3 children to one room.

We have been offered a council house at £510 pcm. The area is not a very good area with a gang and drug culture. I know it well and feel it is like any other London fringe town but I don’t deny that there are huge problems there.

My children would not have to move school and have some friends that live in this area. It would save us £500 a month which we could put towards a deposit and move out in 5 - 7 years time.

My husband feels that we should stay put. The LL is a friend and he is fairly confident that we are here long term. DH thinks we should put the children’s childhood first and remain in this area. This would mean renting long term and we are already in our early forties. I worry about retirement.

VogueVVague Sat 26-May-18 08:58:32

Im sorry if this sounds really flippant but genuine question: have you considered moving outside of london?

FWIW, i would not take that council house, i would be looking to move out of london. The UK is a small place. The kids will have to adapt to a new town but will still be able to keep ties to their old mates.

jess6543 Sat 26-May-18 08:59:47

I hate to break it to you, but if you are in your early 40s and don't plan to buy for 5-7 years it may be hard for you to get a mortgage unless your deposit is very large.

That aside, Saving money is always a good thing and better to spend £500 on rent than £1000. Obviously if the area is very bad you may want to think twice but I would still do it tbh. You can always move back to private renting if it really is terrible.

arethereanyleftatall Sat 26-May-18 09:00:45

No, I wouldn't move to an area like that if there was a way of avoiding it.

jess6543 Sat 26-May-18 09:01:28

@VogueVVague that's easy to say but some people can't move too far away because of their jobs. Jobs in some industries are hard to find outside London and the pay would be much less.

The further you move, the higher the train fare to London too.

VogueVVague Sat 26-May-18 09:04:43

Yeah i know! Just wondering if op and her partner have the optipn of it, have considered it, even somewhere like manchester

TotallyChorkie Sat 26-May-18 09:07:05

Hi, I would love to move further afield but DH’s job is very specific and Eldest DC is due to take gcse’s next year so not a good time for a big move.

I agree Jess, our deposit would have to be huge which is why I am thinking more 7 years by which time the youngest child would be mid teens.

skychangehills Sat 26-May-18 09:08:51

I’d take it if you have to stay in London.

cricketmum84 Sat 26-May-18 09:10:36

Sorry if this is controversial but imo council housing is for people who cannot afford to private rent. If you are affording £1000pm rent now then that council house should go to someone more in need of it.
There is such a shortage of local authority housing that I don't think it's fair to take one if you aren't desperately in need.

And yes I would put your children's childhoods first and not move to a bad area for a pipe dream of buying a house when you are very unlikely to be given a mortgage at almost 50!

VogueVVague Sat 26-May-18 09:14:22

She has 3 kids to a room, I'd say she deserves council housing.

I think council housing should be for hardworking people who are struggling to house their families which is the case. Shes in her 40s and has not been able to save for a house as a result of finances and housing.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 26-May-18 09:16:01

I would do anything to keep my children away from an area with a drug and gang culture. I'm very surprised you are thinking of putting a £500 per month saving above their safety and I say that as someone on a low income.

TotallyChorkie Sat 26-May-18 09:17:49

Cricket, the house has been listed as available for working people only. We wouldn’t be able to afford to upgrade to a house in the size that we needed at the current rents available.

littlemssilly Sat 26-May-18 09:19:04

If you take the council house you'll get right to buy after 3 years and then are on the ladder with a huge discount.
Depends on whether you feel you can be happy in that area

DelphiniumBlue Sat 26-May-18 09:23:24

Where is it? And where are you now?
I'm just wondering for comparison purposes - can't think of an area in London where you can rent a house for 1000.

VogueVVague Sat 26-May-18 09:24:56

Actually sorry op ive changed my mind and reckon you should take it.

TotallyChorkie Sat 26-May-18 09:26:09

Ineedmore the house is only a mile and a half away. Our children all go to the same school with our towns on either side. The only difference is one is largely council owned and the other is mainly private dwellings. I don’t see how safety is any better here than there and would take the same precautions as I do now.

TotallyChorkie Sat 26-May-18 09:29:26

Delphin, it is classed as London fringe (as in commuter territory) in Essex

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 26-May-18 09:30:29

Totally well you know the area better than me obviously but it was you who mentioned the gang and drug culture if the safety level is the same in both locations it seems odd you mentioned it as a negative of the area. I would just be careful you are not minimizing this aspect out of your understandable desire to save money. Your DH also seems to think it is an issue.

lastnightidreamtofpotatoes Sat 26-May-18 09:32:20

No way woul d I move to an area that I knew had a drug/gang culture. As a child I was in the same sort of circumstances, we moved very quickly from a owned house in naice area to a council estate. I t wasn't a bad one but I remember some of my friends weren't allowed to visit me because it was perceived as rough and that always stayed with me. Now I wouldn't be happy for my ds' to visit an estate that had a drugs/gang culture so do b ear in mind the impact of might have on your dc.

Noboozeforme Sat 26-May-18 09:33:00

For the love of god take the council house !

BewareOfDragons Sat 26-May-18 09:33:47

I think you should take the house and start socking the extra £500 a month away and not touch it if possible.

Cutting your housing costs in half would make a huge difference for your family!

boho2u Sat 26-May-18 09:36:42

I would take the council place. It's a secure tenancy and with the way renting is in london at the moment, there's the very real risk of becoming homeless.

SheSparkles Sat 26-May-18 09:37:13

I think it would be really wrong to move to an area with a gang and drug culture with children the age yours are. I’m not for a second saying you’ve not done a good job of raising good kids, but I just wouldn’t want to put kids in their teens slap bang in the middle of that kind of area-I’d be so scared of my kids being influenced, raising teens is a hard enough job without taking them to live in that kind of area where temptation could be hard to resist.

MrsWombat Sat 26-May-18 09:38:29

I would take it.

CecilyP Sat 26-May-18 09:39:05

Cricketmum, the council will have its own points system to decide who needs the house and, in this case, it has been allocated to OP.

OP, I would take a look at the house, see what the immediate neighbours are like, have a chat with them about the area if you can. Look at how many bought houses, or otherwise, there are on the estate. Does it look unkempt or do people look after their homes? Often the reputation amongst outsiders can be far worse tha the reality. Did out as much as you can before making your decision.

What are your chances of being allocated anywhere on a nicer estate? From your OP, it would seem fairly slim. If you prove to be a good tenant on this estate, would there be the possibly of a transfer to somewhere better at a later date?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: