Talk

Advanced search

Friends partner doing school run...aibu

(52 Posts)
Hungrymonk82 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:21:33

Live in a rural area where the schoo is 6 miles away so we share the school run with a family in our village. Lately our friends bf has been driving and he doesn't have a full licence. Although my friend is in the car with him who holds a full licence I'm not too happy as he's not had a lesson in years, displays no L plates and I'm not 100% sure he's on the insurance. AIBU and a bit precious to feel uneasy and worried everytime he's driving? Is it worth mentioning or just leave it as?

HollyBayTree Tue 13-Mar-18 15:22:17

I wouldnt have my child in that car.

IWantMyHatBack Tue 13-Mar-18 15:23:56

Why on earth doesn't she drive? I wouldn't be happy with this at all.
He's got no license, not displaying L plates? I think you can check insurance online somewhere, no sure though.

Whatshallidonowpeople Tue 13-Mar-18 15:24:15

I don't think you are allowed to have passengers are you?

Trinity66 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:24:55

YANBU

cheesydoesit Tue 13-Mar-18 15:25:55

God no, I wouldn't let my children ride in that car either. You could mention it to your friend but she probably won't care. I would just find other arrangements.

ChelleDawg2020 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:26:50

Mention it. If he's not insured and has an accident which injures your child, you will find it hard to get a payment to help with their recovery.

If you contact the police with the registration number and let them know an uninsured driver is doing the school run at "x" time, they may be able to do a "random" check on that car.

Theresasmayshoes11 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:28:03

Never heard anything so ridiculous here for a long time! Of course he shouldn’t be driving ffs!

gassylady Tue 13-Mar-18 15:28:49

Definitely worth mentioning - to the police! It may be he’s a very safe driver why not prove it by taking test. I’d be worried insurance would not be valid, has the car an up to date MOT. If you feel one motoring law doesn’t apply to you why would you worry about others? I certainly wouldn’t let my kids travel in those circumstances

alwaysthepessimist Tue 13-Mar-18 15:29:02

learners aren't allowed to have passengers and I would not allow my child to be in that car with them. I would also be reporting it to the police.

gassylady Tue 13-Mar-18 15:29:37

Wow I must type reaalllyyy slowly grin

expatinscotland Tue 13-Mar-18 15:30:27

Of course, YANBU. What they're doing is illegal. I would not have my child in that car.

ChickenMom Tue 13-Mar-18 15:30:28

No!! Your friend is out of order for putting your children in this car!!!

FlyingMonkeys Tue 13-Mar-18 15:33:32

Why on earth isn't she driving there, and letting him practise driving home without the kids in the car.

PilarTernera Tue 13-Mar-18 15:33:58

YANBU definitely worth mentioning.

As pp have said, be prepared to make other arrangements.

Graphista Tue 13-Mar-18 15:33:58

No way my child would be going in that car and I'd report to police too. Appallingly irresponsible of them.

Bobbybobbins Tue 13-Mar-18 15:34:36

Totally agree with all the above comments!

eyeswideshit Tue 13-Mar-18 15:34:49

He needs L plates and to have insurance.

Learners are allowed passengers as long as they is someone supervising who is over 21 who has had a full license longer than 3 years and are sat in the front passenger seat

Neolara Tue 13-Mar-18 15:35:12

I wouldn't let my kids be driven by him. Thirty years ago, my cousin (and four others in the same car) were killed in a car accident on the school run. The driver was learner driver.

Graphista Tue 13-Mar-18 15:35:46

Even IF he's on the insurance (doubtful) I think it would be invalidated as he's illegally not using L plates, with such a lax attitude I'd also be worried about the car maintenance side of things.

stitchglitched Tue 13-Mar-18 15:35:48

Learners can have passengers in the car, but he needs L plates and insurance. I wouldn't allow my kids to travel with him.

Curtainshopping Tue 13-Mar-18 15:39:52

He can have passengers but needs L plates and to be on the insurance.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Tue 13-Mar-18 15:43:11

Stop sharing the school run with someone who doesn't drive hmm
I never understand people who feel uneasy and don't really like stuff like this and let it go on anyway. They're your children; being driven around by someone unqualified to do so.
Tell them the arrangement has ended, starting from now.

happygirly1 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:44:30

You're absolutely not being unreasonable, I'd feel uncomfortable too. If she's in the car anyway, why isn't she driving?

I'd bring it up and say you're not happy to continue the arrangement unless a legal driver is driving (crazy that you even have to verbalise that though!).

DeleteOrDecay Tue 13-Mar-18 15:45:25

YANBU at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: