Talk

Advanced search

How would you feel if..

(38 Posts)
cleanthehouse Thu 08-Feb-18 10:08:29

Your MIL said to DH in front of you " I'll bring so and so with me on Thursday, make sure the house is clean" ? Mind you my house is always clean, DH does nothing and she knows I'm the one who does everything?

cleanthehouse Thu 08-Feb-18 10:09:22

I'm a regular but NCed for this

Tink2007 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:09:28

I would tell her to sod off and don’t bother coming.

Tink2007 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:09:59

Or ask her if she knows where all the cleaning products are so she can get cleaning to her specifications the day before.

cleanthehouse Thu 08-Feb-18 10:10:40

AIBU to feel insulted? DH obviously doesn't think it's an insult and it's a normal thing to say.

Snowydaysarehere Thu 08-Feb-18 10:11:43

Why does she feel able to bring someone to your home? Cf on both counts.

Mulch Thu 08-Feb-18 10:13:01

I'd tell her to go elsewhere

Myheartbelongsto Thu 08-Feb-18 10:13:13

I wouldn't let her in!

Categoric Thu 08-Feb-18 10:13:41

I think you and DH need to go out on Thursday. Telling you to clean for her guest is a power play.

lurkingnotlurking Thu 08-Feb-18 10:13:52

I'd be pissed. Who wouldn't be? And I would absolutely not have a clean house on that day.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 08-Feb-18 10:15:23

Who exactly is this 'such a body' she's bringing to your home. The Queen or something

Ohforfoxsakereturns Thu 08-Feb-18 10:15:24

I’d make sure the house is sparkling. Fresh flowers. Everything.

Then I’d take a shit and not flush. (Chances are if you have small children this will already happen.)

Categoric Thu 08-Feb-18 10:16:56

Oh and divide all tasks between you from now on so you get equal spare time. He doesn’t sound much of a catch though if he expects you to do the housework and be treated with disrespect by his Mother.

AjasLipstick Thu 08-Feb-18 10:17:34

Oh I'd have called her on it INSTANTLY!

"What's it got to do with you how clean my house is? I might shit on the floor now you've said that."

Or something like that.

Wellfuckmeinbothears Thu 08-Feb-18 10:18:44

I'd be really offended and call her out on it there and then!

lurkingnotlurking Thu 08-Feb-18 10:18:48

ajaslipstick god, you're more feisty than me ;)

MagicNumbers1234 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:19:33

Yanbu. Who's she bringing around? nosey

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 08-Feb-18 10:20:25

It's the "I'll bring so and so with me on Thursday" that's got my goat. Like she's doing a favor

timeisnotaline Thu 08-Feb-18 10:20:55

If she said to dh I’d say yes dh , you had better make sure the house is clean. And say to mil I can’t promise anything mind, you know he’s not really housetrained.

RibenaMonsoon Thu 08-Feb-18 10:23:36

I'd leave the place in a state just to prove a point. No one tells me what to do in my own home.

Very very rude behaviour!

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 08-Feb-18 10:33:01

I think I would reply 'you best pop in early and get on with it'

Willow2017 Thu 08-Feb-18 10:49:14

I would have said something like "well maybe you better teach your ds how clean you want it cos i am sick of doing it all myself and am going on strike."😀
Bloody cheek who is she inviting round to your house? Did she ask if it was ok to do so or if it was convenient for you?

mydietstartsmonday Thu 08-Feb-18 10:51:56

It is a throw away comment; if you get offended at any slight remark you will not have a relationship with her. I would say it about my own house; my mum would say it, I might be a bit miffed but I would move on quickly.

Gottagetmoving Thu 08-Feb-18 10:52:30

I wouldn't be bothered. I don't really care that much what other people think of my house one way or another.
My mil was tactless and said worse things than that. I don't see the point of being offended. I wouldn't see it as my problem...it's your husband's.

Oohyoudevilyou Thu 08-Feb-18 10:54:20

My mum once had relatives visiting and rang to ask if she could bring them over to us for a cuppa. She asked "is your house tidy?" when I said that it was a wet weekend and the kids had got their toys out, so not really, no. She said "oh, OK - we'll leave it. I'll take them for a coffee at the garden centre instead". My parent's house is normal not showhome tidy, but mum feels the need to rush around like a blue arsed fly cleaning and tidying whenever any people visit, which was always very stressful as a kid. Now she's trying to project those anxieties onto me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now