Talk

Advanced search

To think what the hell kind of virus is this?

(49 Posts)
Happinessfinder Mon 22-Jan-18 23:25:46

So just coming out (I hope) of the worst virus of my life
Day 1 exhaustion and high temp aching limbs
Day 2 extremely sore throat stomach pains high temp
Day 3 extremely sore throat stomach pain diahrea high temp
Day 4 extremely sore throat high temp and a strange 2cm looking purple mark on my finger. Looks like a bruise but doesn’t hurt and I have no idea where it came from??

Deshasafraisy Mon 22-Jan-18 23:28:45

Flu?

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 22-Jan-18 23:28:58

A nasty one

ArnoldBee Mon 22-Jan-18 23:30:48

You're only on day 4? It's taken me a month to get over it...

SallyOMalley Mon 22-Jan-18 23:32:20

It certainly sounds like flu. Get well soon flowers

LittleLights Mon 22-Jan-18 23:32:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maddening Mon 22-Jan-18 23:37:12

The purple mark is worth seeing a Dr about

Happinessfinder Mon 22-Jan-18 23:37:37

Thanks I though a weird flu as it came in so fast within an hour. Did anyone have this strange bruising look to their finger? It’s so odd I haven’t bruised it I haven’t left my bed in four days.......unless I did it while delirious with a high temp maybe??

Happinessfinder Mon 22-Jan-18 23:40:38

Hopefully this picture will work

Forkhandles22 Mon 22-Jan-18 23:43:32

My guess would be ITP caused by the virus, but best to get it checked

NaiceBiscuits Mon 22-Jan-18 23:46:59

Does the purple mark fade away if you put a glass up against it? If not, I'd phone 111 and probably go to your out of hours doctor

Stickaforkinimdone Mon 22-Jan-18 23:49:23

Bog standard flu and a mild one at that
You got lucky

Happinessfinder Mon 22-Jan-18 23:58:34

It doesn’t fade with a glass thanks for the suggestions. . I was embarrassed to bother my dr especially as I clearly have a virus didn’t want to be passing it around. I’m still not able to get out of bed day 4 but I think it’s shifting as I’m awake and able to communicate. I’ve had pneumonia before and this virus has been way worse than that. Oh also have been taking cyklo f tranexamic acid for heavy periods. Maybe that has something to do with the mark. It’s the mark that’s bothering me to be honest no the virus I know there are allot of weird ones going around at the moment.

HighwayChile Tue 23-Jan-18 00:04:34

Maybe call 111? It sounds like the flu virus currently doing the rounds but I'd be concerned about the bruise too. Hopefully they can put your mind to rest if it's nothing to worry about.

Hope you feel better soon!

mari652 Tue 23-Jan-18 00:05:25

That is one of the differences between a nasty cold and flu - flu can come on unbelievably quickly, from ' hmm, what is that weird shiver ? ' to ' don't care, must lie down, world can end ' within an hour. We always apply the £50 note test - would you get up and pick one up that was blowing around the garden ? If yes, it's a cold . If no - stop,asking stupid questions, let me be as one with this mattress - its flu.

Happinessfinder Tue 23-Jan-18 00:09:43

Thanks. I didn’t want to assume I’m over it in four days btw I’m just ever the optimist, I’m probably going to crash and burn tomorrow again. Hope everyone sick is feeling better soonl. 5 weeks for some of you oh man.

nursy1 Tue 23-Jan-18 00:13:16

Influenza I would say. Not sure about the bruise. If you are actually feeling a bit better it’s unlikley that the bruise is related or anything serious. If you get more bruising appearing then I’d take it a bit more seriously.

Happinessfinder Tue 23-Jan-18 00:14:50

Mari652 yes totally went from I think I might be coming down with something to within an hour laying on the floor unable to speak. Kids emptying coco pops all over the kitchen and I just couldn’t stop them. Weird.

nursy1 Tue 23-Jan-18 00:17:04

A type influenza comes on really quickly like that. The B tropes tend to be slower with more classic head cold symptoms. Both doing the rounds this winter. Aussie Flu ( A) and a nasty, long lasting B type.

Happinessfinder Tue 23-Jan-18 00:25:43

Thanks nursy1 sounds about right haven’t had normal head cold symptoms yet.. Only one bruise so far too. Looks like i spoke too soon feeling horrid again now. Thanks all

ShoesHaveSouls Tue 23-Jan-18 00:27:34

Sounds like flu definitely - sickness/vomiting/diarrhoea were symptoms of the Aussie flu, so I read.

Erm, the bruise on you finger - I don't know - possibly a tad worrying. That's the thing I would keep a close eye on/seek medical advice on.

Morphene Tue 23-Jan-18 00:28:35

why oh why oh why do people perpetuate myths concerning the severity of 'flu?

How any one person reacts to a cold or a flu virus depends on many things, the type of virus being only one of them. I've had flu (as confirmed by a doctor due to a ongoing medical condition at the time) that barely registered in my immune system, and a cold that knocked me flat for a week, then caused all my skin to peel as if I had total body sunburn....

The single most important factor in determining your response to a virus is whether or not you have had something similar by random contact or via a flu vaccine in the recent past.

highinthesky Tue 23-Jan-18 00:31:33

Yep, ITP secondary to a virus.

Any other bruises? Did your gums bleed when you last brushed your teeth?

Morphene Tue 23-Jan-18 00:31:45

btw I'm currently bricking it because everyone I know has had the terrible virus over christmas and I've lost count of the number of people who have coughed and or sneezed over me since getting back to work....and I'm just waiting for the shit to hit the fan (possibly literally). So far I felt a bit woozy on Sunday and have a slightly sore throat today (possibly psychosomatic).

OhShit2017 Tue 23-Jan-18 00:38:11

Day 25 here! Still pretty much bed bound, made it to the post office today which was a massive achievement. Started with puking and the shits before new year, then a few days of feeling a bit better before full blown flu kicked in. Completely exhausted and still have the cough which is a bastard. Really bored of lying around now, and completely skint becuase I’m self employed and haven’t been able to work for nearly a month.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: