Talk

Advanced search

... to ask for book recommendations?

(32 Posts)
Xmaspost Wed 13-Dec-17 13:12:16

I'll have a good bit of down time over the xmas holidays and new year, so time to do some reading! Any recommendations on new books you've really enjoyed over the past year?

Dippysnowoman Wed 13-Dec-17 13:18:21

I had a couple of Santa Montefiore books as a gift last Christmas I loved them, found them very unputdownable! (I've asked for some thus year too)

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Wed 13-Dec-17 13:19:41

The Cormoran Strike novels by J.K.Rowling (can’t remember her pen-name, Robert somebody) are great.

Mollie85 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:22:02

Hi Xmas - what sort of genre are you after? grin

Dustysparrow Wed 13-Dec-17 13:28:21

OMG - Robin Hobb books are amazing!! Nothing else I've read compares. The Farseer world she has created is basically 5 x triologies and I have never seen such amazingly constructed characters that feel so real, like you know them. There is such depth to her writing. I think the very first one is Assassin's Apprentice where the main character (FitzChivalry Farseer) is a child, so you grow with the characters.

Truly awesome. Robin Hobb has literally ruined all other writers for me now.

Xmaspost Wed 13-Dec-17 14:13:44

Mollie85, i'm fairly open on genre. To be honest I don't read too much, so whenever I go read a recommended book I typically enjoy it. For past few holidays I've bought from the "not the booker prize" list here www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/aug/14/not-the-booker-prize-2017-elizabeth-strout-joins-shortlist

We're visiting DH family in rural area over holidays. Not too much there to do ... but it's nice and quiet ... so I know from experience to bring along a few books.

Thanks for the advice above, will check some of them if available in local book shop.

Thekitten Wed 13-Dec-17 14:30:00

I really enjoy the No. 1 ladies detective agency series, I recommend it smile

FooFighter99 Wed 13-Dec-17 14:31:56

I loved The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, so much so that I've read it 3 times and will no doubt read it a few times more! Definitley have a look for it if you get chance

Happy Reading! fsmile

7to25 Wed 13-Dec-17 14:35:35

Sebastian Barry. Days without end. Only one person in book club didn't like it and that was for a bit of an obscure reason. Best book I have read this year.

Midge1978 Wed 13-Dec-17 14:39:46

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman is my book of the year!

Collectorofcookbooks Wed 13-Dec-17 14:52:35

The Keeper Of Lost Things is an incredible book.

If you want a nice relaxing book to get your teeth into, try Coming Home by Roasmund Pilcher. It’s my comfort food!

TobleroneBoo Wed 13-Dec-17 14:58:40

Coming on to say Santa Montefiore, but an old one - The Butterfly Box

Pickleypickles Wed 13-Dec-17 15:04:37

Im reading a book called the red sisters atm its the first in a series (i prefer series because i hate endings blush) but its really good so far.

yasmin05 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:08:44

All of Stephen King smile

FuckyNellYaBastad Wed 13-Dec-17 15:09:30

Christodora

North water

The dry

LadyMarmyLard Wed 13-Dec-17 15:11:46

Another vote for Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine.

MipMipMip Wed 13-Dec-17 15:25:17

Jane Cassey or Harry Bingham for crime.
Erica James always good.
Victoria connely +start with A Weekend with Mr Darcy)
Stephen king is great.

Have you any idea of subject matter?

MipMipMip Wed 13-Dec-17 15:30:24

Brandon Sanderson Mistborn series for fantasty -incredible world building.

KeepServingTheDrinks Wed 13-Dec-17 15:34:41

The Night Circus. I've brought it for practically everyone I know and only 1 person hasn't liked it.

frenchfancy Wed 13-Dec-17 15:40:37

How to stop time - Matt Haig - A brilliant book

Mollie85 Wed 13-Dec-17 15:43:22

Ok so the ones I can recommend have been printed within the last five or so years:

The Land of Decoration - Grace Mcleen
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender
White Oleander - Janet Fitch
The Photographers Wife - Nick Alexander
The Story of Beautiful Girl - Rachel Simon
The Bed I Made - Lucile Whitehouse

Actually some of those are quite old...

I tend to read loads of psychological (Nicci French is amazing) and crime books too, but as those are quite specific genres have left those out grin

Oh and I read a book called The Bird Box and it terrified me...

LollaLaLuna Wed 13-Dec-17 20:29:11

I recommend Betty MacDonald - The egg and I and Onion in stew. Always cheers me up, very well written.

cariadlet Wed 13-Dec-17 20:38:35

Elizabeth is Missing

Absolutely brilliant. I don't usually bother passing books on, but I lent it to my Mum and my sister and they both loved it.

Givemeonereason Wed 13-Dec-17 20:41:13

Linwood Barclay. Anything by him

user1471506482 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:51:16

I recently read Behind Closed doors by AB Paris (I think). Best book I've read in months and I'm a big reader!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: