Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advent calendar - genius plan or not?

(38 Posts)
BastardTart Mon 06-Nov-17 19:45:43

Saw some advent calendars today, just basic chocolate ones for £1. Decided to buy 2, one for November and one for December.

Dd hates mornings and spends it taking her time with everything (i nag her to get dressed, I nag her to come downstairs, I nag her to eat breakfast, then nag her to brush teeth, then nag her to put shoes on, then nag her to get out, etc)

However in December she jumps out of bed, and does everything perfectly nicely as she knows once she's up and ready for school she can open a door on her calender...

so this year I'm seeing if I can have that same level of cooperation and enthusiasm in November too. Dh thinks aibu as advent calendars belong firmly in December in his world, whereas I think my plan is pure genius

geekone Mon 06-Nov-17 19:47:30

YABU

ZoeWashburne Mon 06-Nov-17 19:47:45

I don’t think it’s inherently bad, but you shouldn’t be giving your kids chocolate every morning to do what you want.

Have you tried rewards charts? Or other non-food rewards to get her up and going?

PurpleDaisies Mon 06-Nov-17 19:48:50

Won’t the novelty of it wear off pretty quickly?

I’m with your dh, advent calendars are for Christmas. You could do some other reward though.

Soubriquet Mon 06-Nov-17 19:48:55

What about a sticker chart where she gets a treat at the end of the week if she has a complete row of stickers

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Mon 06-Nov-17 19:49:26

Of course it's ridiculous! What do you plan to do in January (and the rest of next year) when she reverts back to being slow? confused

Redglitter Mon 06-Nov-17 19:49:49

YABU Advent calendars are for the countdown to Christmas. It probably works with your daughter because it's a novelty in December. Turn it into an every day thing and it'll lose its impact.

Besides is bribing her with sweets to get organised really something you want to start

SpunBodgeSquarepants Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:09

If it makes your life easier for a month, I say hell yes. I'd probably ask her to brush her teeth after the chocolate as opposed to before though. How many calories are in those tiny chocolates? 30, 40? Not enough to worry about.

GymBunnieWannabe Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:13

Are you going to buy one for January too? May? August?

You need to find another incentive that works all year round.

TittyGolightly Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:19

The way Xmas takes over the universe from August, it’s only a matter of time before there’s a 12 month advent calendar. You could make a fortune.

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Mon 06-Nov-17 19:50:33

Why don't you buy twelve, one for each month of the year if it's such a good plan?

GymBunnieWannabe Mon 06-Nov-17 19:51:02

Plus, doing this will kill the magic of the advent calender and ruin it for her in December.

Leeds2 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:52:30

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, as such, but I wouldn't do the same. I think Christmas is for December only.

CoffeeBreakIn5 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:52:56

Erm, what do you usually do why she won't do as she's asked? Because cracking out the chocolate isn't really the answer.
YABU

LadyOfTheCanyon Mon 06-Nov-17 19:53:44

What are you going to do on the 25/26/27/28/29/30 of November by way of chocolate?

mumeeee Mon 06-Nov-17 19:56:27

YABU. Advent çalanders are for December.
Anyway what are you going to do from 25th to 30th Novembet. Advent Calenders dont go past the 25th December

Leeds2 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:59:06

I guess if she starts tomorrow, the DD can have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 November for 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 November.

ALemonyPea Mon 06-Nov-17 20:10:26

Bit of a silly idea, but can see why you’d think it work.

Kellogg’s have a cereal advent calendar, what about that one?

MotherofTerriers Mon 06-Nov-17 20:13:35

YANBU. I have an advent calendar in November. I only get to open a door when I have done a piece of work I don't like doing/have been putting off. I am 58

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 06-Nov-17 20:14:51

You'll destroy the Power of the Advent calendar if you over use it I'm afraid.

quizqueen Mon 06-Nov-17 20:15:47

How about a dose of discipline instead.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Nov-17 20:16:39

YABU.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Mon 06-Nov-17 20:17:30

They only go to the 24th though dont they (25th?)

I was going to get one as a countdown reminder to DTs birthday. But it's on the 30th.

RibenaMonsoon Mon 06-Nov-17 20:18:24

My sister had an amazing idea. Instead of a chocolate calendar, buy and wrap 24 books. Every night her DS will unwrap one and have a crimbo bed time read. Then on the 24th December he will unwrap 'the night before christmas and read that.
Such a sweet idea I'm doing the same for my DS.

Would something like that work? Use the advent calendar for Nov and the books every morning in December? It will mix it up a bit and your DD won't then expect chocolate every morning in Jan?

I hope it goes well whatever you decide.

onalongsabbatical Mon 06-Nov-17 20:20:33

I'm going against the grain here. Yes - genius! gringringrin
Milk it for as long as you can milk it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now