Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have cancelled my sons birthday party?

(51 Posts)
Twerking9to5 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:50:01

It's supposed to be my son's 4th bday party tomorrow. Had entertainer and church hall booked, party bags packed etc.

He has been really quite poorly for the last week, and has vomited 7 days in a row. He seems to perk up a bit in the day but throws up again early evening. This happened again last night, so I thought - 48 hours is the recommended time to stay away from others, we can't go ahead with the party.

Reluctantly contacted everyone and will reschedule, but we've lost about £60 in deposit money which is gutting.

Today of course, son is bounding around as if the last week never happened. He could, of course, go into decline again. Husband thinks I was too hasty in cancelling but I don't want to risk spreading this awful thing he's had.

Was I a bit OTT in cancelling the whole thing?

Belleoftheball8 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:52:46

No I’ve had that stomach bug and it’s not nice at all better to be safe and wait until he’s fully recovered it’s unfair to potentially past into guests

SoftlyCatchyMonkey1 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:52:47

You did the right thing definitely

Whinesalot Fri 27-Oct-17 09:53:55

I thought it was a punishment and was going to say yabu but I think you did the right thing if he had been that ill. It wouldn't be fair to pass that on.

I hope you will be able to reschedule?

thepatchworkcat Fri 27-Oct-17 09:54:00

I think you did the right thing too.

Theresamayscough Fri 27-Oct-17 09:55:01

No I think you are being very responsible op. Horrible situation for you though I do hope he gets better soon. There are some really nasty sick bugs around here and we have all had one recently which lasted a few weeks. sad

busyboysmum Fri 27-Oct-17 09:58:31

Very sensible. You did the right thing absolutely.

Twerking9to5 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:58:45

Thanks guys. I really think I did the right thing but DH is pissed off and says "well it's almost 48 hours, we could have carried on". Sometimes doubt myself!

yorkshapudding Fri 27-Oct-17 10:00:05

You definitely did the right thing. How awful would you feel if you went ahead and all his little friends ended up with that horrible bug! It's all very well of your DH to say it was too hasty but you need to give people a bit of notice when cancelling things, so there comes a point where someone has to make a firm decision.

Elllicam Fri 27-Oct-17 10:00:05

I think you did the right thing, imagine how awful it would have been if you'd had the party and everyone picked up the bug shock.

busyboysmum Fri 27-Oct-17 10:02:37

We accidentally ruined Christmas last year for some friends for taking ds3 to their party 48 hours after he had had a bug. Unbeknown to us we must have been carrying it and passed it on somehow as we all came down with it the next day as did they. As well as feeling terrible with the bug I felt massively guilty.

Crunchymum Fri 27-Oct-17 10:04:57

Makes a change to hear of someone behaving so responsibly!!!

Minxmumma Fri 27-Oct-17 10:13:08

You would never forgive yourself if he gave it to other people or was ill at his party. Excitement+bugs don't always mix well and he would be very sad if he was sick at the party.

Hope you can reschedule

MissEliza Fri 27-Oct-17 10:17:03

You did the right thing. My nephew got chickenpox a week before his party. SIL and DB insisted it would be fine as he would have scabbed over by then. He had but barely. Two dcs who went to the party got chickenpox. To be fair, DB and SIL didn’t hide the chickenpox but maybe people trusted them to make the right call which I don’t think they did.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 27-Oct-17 10:18:26

Yanbu, you are infectious up to 2 weeks after a stomach bug.

MuseumOfCurry Fri 27-Oct-17 10:22:49

You made the right call. Any chance the venue will take pity on you if you call and explain?

Sounds like there would be a fairly good chance he'd wind up vomiting at his party - not nice.

Italiangreyhound Fri 27-Oct-17 10:24:48

You did the right thing.

irvineoneohone Fri 27-Oct-17 10:27:19

Yep, definitely done right thing. You didn't know if he was better or not. And couldn't risk it. Most sensible people think it's the right decision. I know it's annoying to lose money, but you can compare nothing to happy children. And if you insisted on having it and he was poorly, it wasn't fun for him, and you may have got few unhappy parents who thinks your ds has made their kids sick.

Twerking9to5 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:39:23

You're right. Would have felt so awful if anyone came down with it. And DS hasn't eaten much the last week so isn't exactly up to much. You've definitely helped put my mind at rest that I wasn't being highly strung!

JackieMac77 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:43:28

You did the right think IMO.

JackieMac77 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:43:52

Thing, I mean

TieGrr Fri 27-Oct-17 10:45:08

You did the right thing. And while he may be bounding around at the moment, a party could still be too much for him after being ill.

2014newme Fri 27-Oct-17 10:47:43

Yes you did the right thing. You can reschedule

Twerking9to5 Fri 27-Oct-17 11:01:11

Hoping the church hall might write off the deposit loss if we reschedule but understand if they can't.

Lovemusic33 Fri 27-Oct-17 11:03:22

I had t do the same with one of my dd's parties a few years ago, she came down with a bug the night before, I lost all my. Only as I had payed £10 a head for 12 kids at a softplay, I didn't have all their phone numbers either so I ended up having to pay for the kids to go to softplay. It's put me off booking anything for parties, we now just go to Pizza Hut with a couple friends grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now