Talk

Advanced search

Is my gp being unreasonable

(33 Posts)
hugsarealwaysneededhere1 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:07:00

I want my 10 year old protected from flu.
Younger child is as vaccinated at school. DH and I are through work.
10 year old can't as not in the school programme age in our area.
I am happy to pay but can't access it locally. GP said it's an annoying postcode lottery but can't help.

Sirzy Wed 18-Oct-17 21:07:54

I don’t think 10 year olds are on the vaccination list anywhere are they?

As frustrating as it is they have to follow the guidance in place.

Thiswayorthatway Wed 18-Oct-17 21:09:26

Try your local pharmacy, my work gives us vouchers to take to a pharmacy who can give injections.

CurbsideProphet Wed 18-Oct-17 21:11:01

Supermarket pharmacies do the flu jab for around £10 if that's an option in your area?

dnwig Wed 18-Oct-17 21:14:56

No. Flu vaccination is a public health programme. Your GP practice will be allocated vaccines for people included in the programme.

Can you get it at the pharmacy in your area?

missyB1 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:15:18

I think the pharmacists won’t do them on under 16s. One option could be a private GP?

imokit Wed 18-Oct-17 21:15:45

GPs have things they can pay for and get you, and things they can't, others in the middle.
The flu jab for people not on the list is one of those things they have no power over. They cannot give it to you.
If you want him to have the flu jab call your pharmacy and ask to book him in. It doesn't need a prescription from the doctor, but you'll have to pay private costs.

DipsyLaLa22 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:16:30

Your GP is simply not allowed to do private flu vaccinations for their own NHS patients, so is definitely not being unreasonable.

You'd need to see a private Practitioner to pay for the vaccination.

hugsarealwaysneededhere1 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:19:57

Pharmacy can't if under 16.
It just seems very unfair that in some parts of the country you can get it and others not.

Needadvicetoleave Wed 18-Oct-17 21:23:21

YABU. Nowhere in the country are 10yo in the flu vaccine group.

Get a private GP if you want it.

Ploppie4 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:27:35

I was told it only gives 3% protection and is really just a money spinner.

Princessbubbles Wed 18-Oct-17 21:32:07

DipsyLaLa is correct. Private travel clinics do children including flu vacc

BewareOfDragons Wed 18-Oct-17 21:40:17

Most pharmacists (Tescos, Boots, etc) won't give them to children. Very annoying.

QueuetoaskaQ Wed 18-Oct-17 21:42:41

Is it different in England then? My 10yo is getting her flu vaccine at school next week with her class. The nasal spray thing.

CrochetBelle Wed 18-Oct-17 21:46:02

YABU. Nowhere in the country are 10yo in the flu vaccine group.

Which country?

calamityjam Wed 18-Oct-17 21:46:52

Ds is in year 5 age 10 and had it a couple of weeks ago

Sirzy Wed 18-Oct-17 21:48:50

www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pages/flu-influenza-vaccine.aspx?tabname=children%20and%20teens In England only those up to year 4 should be having it in School

2tired2bewitty Wed 18-Oct-17 21:54:28

A friend found that Superdrug round here were willing to do her similarly aged son, so perhaps try them?

user1471583707 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:00:02

No they are being perfectly reasonable.
They are not in an at risk group so not eligible.
Do you think gps should give to all of parents who want it for their non eligible children? Who would pay for this

It is nothing to do with a 'postcode' lottery. You don't get it in other parts of the country in this age group

QueuetoaskaQ Wed 18-Oct-17 22:04:30

It is nothing to do with a 'postcode' lottery. You don't get it in other parts of the country in this age group

As someone else asked, which country?

If you mean the UK as a whole then previous posts (mine included) have shown that some 10 year olds are eligible for the flu vaccine.

MammaTJ Wed 18-Oct-17 22:07:54

Some 10 year old would be eligible, if they have an illness that requires them to be protected. My DD is 12 and has a heart condition, so she has it. My 11 has nothing wrong with him, so he doesn't. It would not be the disaster to his health to catch the flu as it would be for DD!

idril Wed 18-Oct-17 22:08:26

I pay £10 to my GP practice to get my 10 and 11 year old vaccinated. I think this is unusual though.

wheresthel1ght Wed 18-Oct-17 22:14:57

You aren't unreasonable to want him protected but gp's are only allocated a set number and have to offer them to the priority at risk groups first. And trust me most years there are not enough to even cover those people. I have missed out on several over the years because there were not enough to go around.

However places like boots do them if you pay.

QueuetoaskaQ Wed 18-Oct-17 22:15:07

Just had a look at the immunisation Scotland website. All children here from age 2 to the end of primary school (11 or 12 years old) are eligible for the vaccine regardless of medical history.

Notcontent Wed 18-Oct-17 22:25:27

Yes, unfortunately in England children and young teens are a bit stuffed, even though they would really benefit from the vaccine!! As others pointed out, most pharmacies will not give them to under 16s so it's actually really hard to get it privately for kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now