Advanced search

Someone reversed into my car

(33 Posts)
anythingbuttypical Mon 16-Oct-17 19:49:05

Someone reversed into my car as I was driving down the road today. I text the owner a few hours ago about how she would like to proceed and she hasn't replied.
How long should I give her to reply before I contact the insurance with her reg? The number is correct as she phoned me at the scene.

Andrewofgg Mon 16-Oct-17 20:03:10

Insurance first thing in the morning.

CoffeenoTea Mon 16-Oct-17 20:05:51

Insurance right now there will be a 24hour line to report. You should do it asap. Why have you not told tjem it does not look good.

Andrewofgg Mon 16-Oct-17 20:06:56

CoffeemoTea You are right. Insurance now.

anythingbuttypical Mon 16-Oct-17 20:07:20

I'm giving her chance to settle things outside of insurance. It's only fair. It wasn't a crash. She rolled into me.

OhBeggerItsMorning Mon 16-Oct-17 20:07:29

Most insurance requires you to report accidents to them, whether or not you claim for the repairs.

In your case you would be covering your back to tell your insurance company regardless of what the other person wants, you have no idea who they are, how honest they are, if they will ever respond to you etc. Even if it is reported you don't have to proceed on a claim but at least the insurance company know as early as possible so if there are problems with the other person you are covered legally.

Because you were reversed into the other person might deny this and try to say you drove into them and might try to get out of paying, if they refuse to cover repair costs you'll need to rely on your insurance company, the sooner they know the better.

Redactio Mon 16-Oct-17 20:08:33

She left the scene of an accident after causing damage. Call the police as well as your insurers.

Andrewofgg Mon 16-Oct-17 20:08:52

Sod giving her a chance. Report now.

anythingbuttypical Mon 16-Oct-17 20:09:20

There was a witness who kindly approached us. And she reversed into the side of my car as I was driving past. There's no way she can claim I hit her.

AfterSchoolWorry Mon 16-Oct-17 20:10:13

You don't have to wait for her to reply. Just go through insurance. You don't have to give her 'a chance', especially since she hasn't replied.

Escapepeas Mon 16-Oct-17 20:12:04


Lots of people claim they want to settle things outside of the insurance companies then start getting pissy as soon as they're presented with a bill.

Don't bother reporting it to the police, it's an RTC where no-one was hurt and there will be nothing they can or will do.

anythingbuttypical Mon 16-Oct-17 20:21:46

Tried to phone her. No answer.
Spoke to a friend who works in insurance. She said there could be a number of reasons why she hasn't responded and to give her a few days! I think if she hasn't got back to me by tomorrow I'll phone them. I think as long as it's within 24 hours it's ok.
It's not a huge amount of damage. But a spray job is needed.

Lazy2Hazy Mon 16-Oct-17 20:33:33

If you don’t want to claim via your policy, I too would wait.

You could register the claim for info only with your own insurers and ask them for to run her reg to get you her insurance details. Your insures will also give you details on how to contact her insurance to make a claim direct. She will then have the option to tell her own insurers that she will deal outside of policy or she will choose to let them take over.

I work in claims. If you’ve got witness statement/contact details, images of your damage and an estimate for repairs, this should be straightforward.

Don’t rush to claim on your own policy as your premiums will be affected if your insurers don’t recover their outlay straight away. They are not always in a hurry...

anythingbuttypical Mon 16-Oct-17 20:36:31

Thanks Lazy. I'll do that tomorrow. I have her reg and phone number. She told me her name but I don't know how to pronounce or spell it.
I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't respond. I'm not going to just forget about it and go away.

Lazy2Hazy Mon 16-Oct-17 20:40:08

Try to remember her name if you can but as long as you have her number it proves that you exchanged details so incident definitely happened.

Did you take photos of her car too? That helps proves she was at scene but don’t worry much if you don’t.

Best scenario is you claiming from her insurance company direct. They’ll sort you with a hire while yours is being repaired - they prefer it that way as they can mitigate costs. Good luck!

anythingbuttypical Mon 16-Oct-17 21:34:29

I've found out who she is. Typed her phone number in Facebook wink
Shortly afterwards she replied to my message so that's a relief.
I did take photos as did the witness. He was very nice. Thanks for your advice ladies

BitOutOfPractice Tue 17-Oct-17 04:40:40

* *There's no way she can claim I hit her.

I bet she tries! Thank goodness you have a. Witness

anythingbuttypical Tue 17-Oct-17 12:27:52

Not heard from the lady since last night after she said she would contact me today. What is she waiting for!!

Escapepeas Tue 17-Oct-17 12:33:29

What are YOU waiting for? Just report it to your insurance company! That is what you pay them for.

TroelsLovesSquinkies Tue 17-Oct-17 12:41:30

Why are you waiting, she's probably trying to get her ducks in a row and make sure she doesn't get the blame for this. Just call your insurance and get it sorted.

Travis1 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:49:17

Honestly, just go to your insurance company. I had a guy go into the back of me, totally rushed me at the scene, it was a busy road etc etc and gave me his number saying he would pay, contacted him and heard nothing back. What he didn't realise was that I had taken his number plate as I got into the car and phoned my husband to write it down and taken photos as soon as I got home.

After no response from him I contacted my insurance, his boss phoned and tried to deny it all. Honestly it was such a hoo ha but the insurance dealt with it all. Only downside was I had to pay out my excess and wait 7 months for a refund because they had to take him to court to sort it all out.

5rivers7hills Tue 17-Oct-17 12:52:04

Just go to your insurance company. There is no reason for her not ot have replied. There could be a LOT of damage to your car.

Although it is a bit shit that your insurance premiums will go up even tho its a 'no fault' accident (because statistically people who claim for no fault accidents are more likely to have at fault accidents apparently)

SistersOfPercy Tue 17-Oct-17 14:04:01

Have you checked she's insured? Bit naughty as you tick you're checking for you own vehicle, but nobody would know.

You can also check her tax and MOT here:

Woobeedoo Tue 17-Oct-17 16:16:14

Report it to the police as well as your insurance. Stop giving her more time to contact you, she won't.

I had someone reverse park their car into mine, they parked so close they badly dented my rear bumper. Luckily a neighbour saw the way the car was parked and took a ton of pictures for me including the reg plate. My accident was classed as a 'hit and run' and the hitter can be fined and get points on their license, yours might come under the same banner.

I also reported it to my insurance co but bizarrely - and this is totally true - the person came back (or got someone to come back) two days later in the dead of night and fixed my bumper. Was totally weird and even my insurance people were bemused at that one as was I!

lynmilne65 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:22:17

3 weeks ago this happened to me; car a write off
ina car park. Witnesses, CTV Not 😡

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: