Advanced search

Any Airline staff about? Can I do this? Miss flight 1 of 2?

(33 Posts)
Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:27:17

I'm flying Thursday when the strikes are on. Heard nothing yet about my flight which gets me to LHR for my international flight.

Even if my British Airways fight isn't cancelled I think it's going to be very bust with delays and I only have 3 hours inbetween landing and my longhaul flight.

Can I just get the train down there the day before. Miss the domestic flight and get on the international flight.

It was all purchased as one journey.

If I don't check in for my domestic flight will they give away my seat on the long haul?

I'm so stressed.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:29:10

And I can't phone to ask. Lines are chockablock.

WTAFF Mon 16-Jan-17 14:34:17

I don't think you can. I think the system will automatically cancel the whole itinerary if you don't show up for your first flight.

Obviously I'm not an expert, this is just my understanding. I may in fact be completely wrong!

I would suggest perhaps messaging BA on Facebook or something like that. Just to be on the safe side.

Alternatively, I've always found the BA Executive Club forum on Flyertalk a mine of useful information. Perhaps ask on there? They have far more knowledgeable people on there than me!smile

CeeCeeEnnEss Mon 16-Jan-17 14:35:01

No you can't. If you don't show up for the first one your whole itinerary is automatically cancelled.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 16-Jan-17 14:35:14

If it's the same airline you will be cancelled from the second flight

belleandsnowwhite Mon 16-Jan-17 14:35:40

No, you will be a no show for both legs of the journey. They will probably sell your seats to some one on stand by.

EnglishGirlApproximately Mon 16-Jan-17 14:36:36

If it was purchased together you'll get put as a no show for both as it's classed as one journey.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:37:55

Fuck. I don't know what to do.

My 2nd flight is the only direct flight. I have to make it sad

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:38:26

I'm really stressed and BA just keep saying we have no information.

TheEmmaDilemma Mon 16-Jan-17 14:39:44

You need to stay on the phone however long it takes and try and move that first flight then.

But yes, it will cancel the second leg.

CiderwithBuda Mon 16-Jan-17 14:40:02

Can you book a new ticket just on the second leg and then cancel your entire other booking?

Rosa Mon 16-Jan-17 14:43:31

Agree its a big no ... You will be cancelled off . You have to wait until the day before or until they have decided what flighst will be running. Then if one or both of the legs are cancelled you can take action . Re booking, taking the train or whatever. Even if you get through now they are unlikley to alter the booking until they know themselves what flights will be cancelled or not.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:45:01

The first domestic flight is BA.
The 2nd flight is international and another airline.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:45:49

The 2nd flight is pretty much guaranteed. It's not BA.

It's just getting to bloody Heathrow thats the problem.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:46:42

Tickets for the international flight are much more expensive now. I can't rebook. And I wouldn't get a refund in time anyway to rebook.

Rosa Mon 16-Jan-17 14:47:42

If its booked on one ticket then it doesn't matter what the airline is as it will be one world or whatever they call themselves.

Rosa Mon 16-Jan-17 14:49:36

BUT strike or not they will have to offer you alternatives to get you to your destination . Might not be on teh flight or the day you want but they will have to reprotect you . I have had guests on Lufthansa put on Ba or Air France - that are out of the Alliance / group that they normally operate within.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:54:12

I know Rosa but I had this happen last year and it was a fucking nightmare.

I booked this flight and paid more because it was a simple direct journey from Heathrow sad

canyou Mon 16-Jan-17 14:54:37

Ok if you feel you can get to heathrow without using leg 1 stay in the line and ask BA to rebook leg one for another time (there maybe a fee) that way you can keep the international and return flts. I have had to do this before but you need to sort this before day of travel as a no show cancels both flights

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:56:01

I ended up on a 1.5 hour flight followed by an 8 hour flight. 4 hours at airport and then another 2.5 hour flight.

I just can't face it again.

Faete Mon 16-Jan-17 14:57:14

Its not a case of waiting in a phone que. They just say we are busy on an automated message then hang up. There's no option to wait.
So frustrating.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Mon 16-Jan-17 15:07:49

I think you should call the day before. If the first leg isn't cancelled then get on that they will have to get you there even if you miss the link. If it is cancelled but 2nd leg OK ask them about getting there by train.

Madcats Mon 16-Jan-17 15:09:59

Sounds a bit daft, but can you try getting hold of them on Twitter or Facebook messenger? My local train company are brilliant at picking up messages and replying to them (whereas the phoning them is soul-destroying and generally useless).

Good luck - how stressful (though I have to praise BA when we were snowed in at Gatwick once and then snowed out of the UK a couple of weeks later).

loobyloo1234 Mon 16-Jan-17 15:10:42

3 hours between flights? Why would that not be enough time OP? even if there were an hours delay you're still totally fine?

stopfuckingshoutingatme Mon 16-Jan-17 15:11:58

I think you need to get off MN and get on hold

If you have done an online check in for the second flights you are ON it, and why would a non BA airline cancel you cos you missed a connecting flight

Personally I would pop to an airport (if you can) and sort it with the counter staff there

are you chasing BA, or the travel agent, or your airline for the main flight?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: