Talk

Advanced search

To not want to go to an interview with a broken front tooth?

(28 Posts)
Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 09:28:00

Me and Dp are bickering over this. Yesterday I broke half of my front tooth. I have a job interview tomorrow so wanted to get it sorted today. Today isn't convienient, Dp is out taking his Sister to the hospital. I've booked an appointment for today and my Sister is going to take me. (Dentist isn't close by and we only have one car). He thinks I'm being vain and difficult and should just go to the interview with a broken front tooth and get it sorted Wednesday. AIBU?

BooeyBubbleHead Mon 21-Nov-16 09:33:24

YANBU to want to get the tooth fixed before your interview and you have organised an appointment and transport. Ignore him.

baconandeggies Mon 21-Nov-16 09:34:53

YANBU. If you can get it sorted today do so. Does he often comment on your personal decisions?

NavyandWhite Mon 21-Nov-16 09:35:36

No way would I go anywhere with a front broken tooth!

Good luck with the job and tooth

Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 09:37:05

See I knew he was being unreasonable. I haven't left the house since it happened.

fruitbrewhaha Mon 21-Nov-16 09:37:15

YANBU. You want to look your best for an interview and you have arranged the logistics. I can't see what his problem is.
Good luck for tomorrow.

YouWereAlwaysPerfect Mon 21-Nov-16 09:38:21

Well I don't see it as a problem, I don't think the interviewer will be looking at your teeth.

Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 09:39:17

You can't miss it though. If I talk they could see it.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 21-Nov-16 09:41:08

Yanbu. I wouldn't be leaving the house, never mind attending a job interview!

RhiWrites Mon 21-Nov-16 09:41:34

I have recruited someone with damaged teeth but for myself I wouldn't want to go to an interview with such a major issue.nid get an emergency dentist's appointment and/or ask to reschedule the interview.

Bagina Mon 21-Nov-16 09:42:07

Obviously try and get it fixed asap, but I would mention it to the interviewer at the start of the interview. Removes any issue.

Jinglebells99 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:42:55

No yanbu! You poor thing, definitely go to the dentist today. How did you break it? I know it's really common. My sister broke hers running home at 26 cos she was late for a curfew sad

Jinglebells99 Mon 21-Nov-16 09:43:17

Not 26! 16

TheDropBear Mon 21-Nov-16 09:45:21

YANBU the interviewer might not care but it will be on your mind and mint throw off your performance.

Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 09:45:56

I broke it brushing my teeth. I was being a bit over enthusiastic showing the toddler how to brush hers herself and it just snapped. I do have rubbish teeth though.

hmcAsWas Mon 21-Nov-16 09:51:03

When I see people with broken or missing teeth I can't help it, but it immediately makes me think of the guests on the Jeremy Kyle show. This may be unfair but its the association in my mind. It doesn't give the right impression at a job interview. YANBU

hmcAsWas Mon 21-Nov-16 09:51:59

I hope you haven't put your toddler off teeth cleaning for life grin

Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 09:57:14

Yep a contestant from the Jeremy Kyle show is not the impression I want to convey.

SaucyJack Mon 21-Nov-16 10:00:39

YANBU!

Is it a public facing role?

Even if it isn't, it still doesn't look great.

ViewBasket Mon 21-Nov-16 10:06:10

YANBU. What difference does it make to your DP if he isn't taking you to the dentist anyway? A broken tooth and urgent dental appointment is health, not "vanity".

YouWereAlwaysPerfect Mon 21-Nov-16 10:07:00

immediately makes me think of the guests on the Jeremy Kyle show

^^ gringrin

Trifleorbust Mon 21-Nov-16 10:07:47

You are being totally reasonable to not want to attend an interview with a broken tooth.

Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 10:07:50

It is a public facing role.

StillMaidOfStars Mon 21-Nov-16 10:13:48

YABCompletelyReasonable.

I once went to my dentist to get my brace elastics changed before an interview - I'd eaten a curry a few days before and they'd gone a bit yellow.

Gappymcgap Mon 21-Nov-16 16:32:33

My tooth has been fixed I am no longer gappy. No idea why Dp was being a knob about it but I feel so much better now it's been fixed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now