Talk

Advanced search

To not know if this is class or think get a life and turn your lights off

(34 Posts)
MsJamieFraser Mon 31-Oct-16 18:41:15

Took my DC trick or treating, we only go to those who are decorated or who with lights on as is custom in our street but for the first time I was met with this ...

hmm grin

snakeinthebrantub Mon 31-Oct-16 18:42:55

Are the cones because their path has been dug up? To stop you going on wet concrete or something?

Lordamighty Mon 31-Oct-16 18:45:37

Why should people sit in the dark? I am always happy for trick or treaters to call but my DM is 93 & disabled & she dreads Halloween.

AnnetteKertan Mon 31-Oct-16 18:47:06

It looks like wet cement

IAmNotACat Mon 31-Oct-16 18:47:45

Looks to me like they're having work done on their path.

I don't turn of my lights or open the door on Halloween. I never answer my front door. Anyone who knows me knows to come to the back, so I ignore the front door.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 31-Oct-16 18:50:31

It would be a pain to wake up in the morning to lots of little witches and skeletons cemented to your pathway. thlshock

rainyinnovember Mon 31-Oct-16 18:51:51

I quite like it as an idea.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 31-Oct-16 18:51:59

Looks like fresh cement to me.

TaterTots Mon 31-Oct-16 18:52:10

gringringrin

ghostyslovesheets Mon 31-Oct-16 18:55:58

obviously they have had new cement today - if your child walked through it to knock the door I bet that would go down well?

also why should people 'turn the lights off' maybe just respect the people with un decorated houses and don't knock?

pigsDOfly Mon 31-Oct-16 18:58:24

I don't really understand what your point is OP.

Looks like they've had work done on their path and don't want anyone walking on it. Can't imagine they've put that there to stop trick or treaters.

Why should they have to turn their lights off?

I don't want trick or treaters, so don't decorate my house in halloween stuff. I sure as hell am not going to sit in my own house in the dark to ensure people don't ring my doorbell.

Fanofjapan Mon 31-Oct-16 19:05:27

Looks like the path is being repaired to me. But if it's to stop trick or treating, it's entirely up to them.

Happymumof3tob Mon 31-Oct-16 19:07:09

I dont accept trick or treaters here. I dont thinknits good to encourage taking sweets from strangers when we spend the rest of the year telling them not to talk to or take sweets from strangers.... but i dont mind the noise and enjoy seeing them enjoying themselves. But i have principles and stick to them. But i am no way going to sit in a dark house just so they dont knock. It is an unwritten rule dont knock of theres no pumpkin or decorations etc. Why would you turn the lights off? And that looks like fresh cement. And i would applaud them if they had done this to stop trick or treaters. Some do knock regardless of the unwritten rule and we are not obliged tobhand out sweets to strangers wearing a mask!

rainyinnovember Mon 31-Oct-16 19:07:50

I don't trust myself to buy sweets and not eat them

gillybeanz Mon 31-Oct-16 19:08:18

My lights are on and we aren't celebrating Halloween. are we supposed to sit in the dark now, too?

MsJamieFraser Mon 31-Oct-16 19:11:02

I know this house they aren't having work done, the neighbour seen them putting them out also as they commented on it, I find it amusing but also OTT.

I don't think anyone should sit in the dark, the lights you see are the small passage and utility room. As I said it's custom here to only go to property's where lights are on and decorated. it's even in the annual street meetings, so it's unknown, next week is the streets annual fireworks display.

HummusForBreakfast Mon 31-Oct-16 19:11:50

I'm sorry bUt if you only go to houses who have their lights on, you will go to more or less all the houses unless people are away.
That's not a rule that. It's a coped out way that yu can go and see everyone grin.

Having said that... it might be that said neighbour wants to be able to have their lights on AND still not be disturbed. In that case, I think they are making their point quite well TBH wink

HummusForBreakfast Mon 31-Oct-16 19:13:16

And... aren't people allowed to go in their untilkty room in Halloween day?
This house doesn't look decorated therefore I would have assumed a no go?

JosephineMaynard Mon 31-Oct-16 19:14:45

Our local community centre had a stack of A4 posters for people to take that said something along the lines of "no trick or treating here please"

They had the local police logo on them, so looked like some sort of police sponsored initiative.

GabsAlot Mon 31-Oct-16 19:14:50

i like it will get some cones i think

jokes aside people shouldnt have to sit in the dark i have a sign up that was on our polices site to print off

OddBoots Mon 31-Oct-16 19:14:58

Around here the police issue a sign you can print or cut out of the local paper to put on your door to say 'no thank you' to trick or treaters - much easier and you are free to use your lights how you wish.

IreallyKNOWiamright Mon 31-Oct-16 19:15:09

Perhaps they are out??

MsJamieFraser Mon 31-Oct-16 19:15:10

As I've said previously, we have meetings about these issues, in our neighbourhood watch scheme, this was what was recommended, as the lights you see is what 90% of the houses are like, the lights you see is the small passage and the utility room, I'm not asking anyone to sit in the dark.

Please don't think like this is your house, as it's not. It's an agreed set up with the residents of this area.

rainyinnovember Mon 31-Oct-16 19:15:40

But suppose you didn't attend neighbourhood watch?

GabsAlot Mon 31-Oct-16 19:16:03

x-post looks like alot of areas are providing posters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now