Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher argument

(47 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Sat 24-Sep-16 18:49:34

Please settle an argument in my household.

We have just cooked 12 sausages in a grill pan.

Person A contends that the grill pan can go straight in the dishwasher and it will come clean.

Person B contends that it needs to be washed by hand because if it goes in the dishwasher the fat will clog it up and just be spread all over the other crockery.

Who is right, please?

SheldonsSpot Sat 24-Sep-16 18:50:39

A, as long as it's a hot enough wash.

Nanasueathome Sat 24-Sep-16 18:50:53

I would always wash the grill pan in the sink first, to remove grease, and then put it into the dishwasher

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 24-Sep-16 18:52:15

I would remove as much fat as I can with kitchen paper and put it in the compost bin. then dushwasher.

Wheresthattomoibabber Sat 24-Sep-16 18:52:38

I would leave the fat to solidify then scrape it into food waste bin. Then put in dishwasher or hand wash depending on space.

Passthecake30 Sat 24-Sep-16 18:54:57

I would hand wash if it's a non stick dishwasher. Otherwise wipe off the worst and chuck it in, rinse cycle first.

Maryann1975 Sat 24-Sep-16 18:56:03

Putting fat in the dishwasher is surely as bad as putting fat down the sink. It will block the drains once it cools and solidifies. So I would remove as much fat as possible before washing it either by hand or in the dishwasher.

NavyandWhite Sat 24-Sep-16 18:56:47

The grease has been scooped out? Then yes in the dishwasher!

phillipp Sat 24-Sep-16 18:58:32

We pour the fat onto kitchen towel and out in the bin. Then the pans go straight in the dishwasher.

We don't wash anything by hand. It all goes in the dishwasher. I wouldn't put all the fat in the dishwasher. That's the same as putting it down the sink.

ladylanky Sat 24-Sep-16 18:58:41

Always but tin foil in the grill pan to lift out the grease and put in the bin - that way it doesn't go down the drain either way and you don't need to faff about washing something twice

phillipp Sat 24-Sep-16 18:59:20

Never had grease spread to cutlery either.

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 24-Sep-16 18:59:23

Leave fat to solidify, wipe out with kitchen roll then put it into the dishwasher. Person A is correct but its not good for your pipes.

Fairylea Sat 24-Sep-16 18:59:58

Straight in the dishwasher surely. What's the point of having one if you still have to wash things?! We use ours for everything and it always comes out clean.

Longdistance Sat 24-Sep-16 19:00:08

I put our grill pan in the dishwasher and it came up a gleaming treat. This was on Wednesday, so very recently. It was from our Rangemaster.

I tried by hand, but some of the grease wasn't shifting.

Was quicker and easier in the dishwasher.

dementedpixie Sat 24-Sep-16 19:01:37

I never put it in the dishwasher as I think it bakes the grease on and then it's not as clean

KathArtic Sat 24-Sep-16 19:04:43

phillip how often is youe machine on? Ours once a day but full and not enough room for pans.

phillipp Sat 24-Sep-16 19:11:07

kath once a day. I put it on after lunch. Empty it just before starting to cook dinner.

Occasionally twice if we have had a cooked breakfast.

Never had a problem fitting it all in. smile

Penfold007 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:24:02

A & B are both wrong. Fat down the drains both block them and encourage rats. The grill tray should be left so the fat cools and solidifys, the fat should be scraped into the food bin. The grill pan can the be washed in the dishwasher or by hand by person B.

grumpysquash3 Sat 24-Sep-16 19:25:45

I would remove as much fat as I can with kitchen paper and put it in the compost bin. then dushwasher.

PinkSwimGoggles has it (except for the typo grin)

If you don't get the fat out, it blocks the filter and/or the drain eventually. But you don't need to do it my hand either.

GardenGeek Sat 24-Sep-16 19:28:23

It depends on your dishwasher;

I grew up with a shit one so always pre-rinse EVERYTHING (even a mug of tea)

DP grew up with great appliances; everything goes in the washer no fuss.

(The above is regard to making grillpan clean, not the dilema of putting fats down drains - which would happen in both scenarios)

Catdogcat Sat 24-Sep-16 19:32:21

We always put tin foil in the bottom of the pan then just leave lift it out when the fat has cooled and bin.
Then I wash it by hand in very very hot water to get rid of last bits of grease.

Flisspaps Sat 24-Sep-16 19:37:30

I line mine with foil, and change it once a week. The pan goes in the dishwasher and the foil goes in the bin.

AyeAmarok Sat 24-Sep-16 19:39:31

Light wash/rinse first, then dishwasher.

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 24-Sep-16 19:45:26

dushwasher

that's the sound it makes. a nice soothing dush...

John4703 Sat 24-Sep-16 20:04:18

We I pour out any fat or oil while it is hot and then it goes into the dishwasher. Let the machine do the work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now