Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To just leave my washing on the line of it rains

(40 Posts)
Moomoomango Thu 07-Jul-16 19:18:05

So the British weather has had me in a rage - I cannot for the life of me do the in out in out game with washing any more! So I've started just leaving it on the line until a sunny day comes along- some washing has been on the line as long as 3 days before it's had a full dry. Aibu?

DiamondInTheRuff Thu 07-Jul-16 19:21:09

I do it. Not dead yet!

I'm sure there's somewhere in the world where people do their washing by just hanging dirty clothes on the line and waiting for it to dry. I want to say St Kitts... Not sure that would suit me...

DiamondInTheRuff Thu 07-Jul-16 19:21:43

Waiting for it to rain, then dry I mean...

AlfrescoBalconyWanker Thu 07-Jul-16 19:23:48

Well, you could go out in the rain, and get wet, and end up bringing in a pile of damp washing. And then drape it around the house.

Or you could just leave it. I mean, it's going to dry eventually, right?

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Thu 07-Jul-16 19:24:25

YANBU. I couldn't do that here though, could be weeks before it was dry!

MatildaTheCat Thu 07-Jul-16 19:25:03

YABVU. Expect a visit from the Police and a lengthy custodial sentence. hmm

Pringlesandwine Thu 07-Jul-16 19:31:13

I did it today and it just doesn't smell fresh now it's dry. Smells a bit musty. What am I doing wrong?!

DustyBustle Thu 07-Jul-16 19:34:16

Leave it out. Especially if it's whites. Watch out for dark colours fading though.

AristotlesTrousers Thu 07-Jul-16 19:35:13

YANBU. I do this all the time. My rule is that anything housework-y should take the least time possible, and be as little of a pain in the arse as is it can be. If I can cut corners anywhere, I will. Non-ironer too.

ohgoshIdontknow Thu 07-Jul-16 19:37:25

YANBU. I'm a fan of this too, though occasionally I will rinse it and hang it out again if I'm feeling a bit OCD.

I don't get our neighbours who just use a tumble dryer - clothes are so much nicer when they've been hung out, even if they do make our garden look like a laundry rather than a zen chill-out zone, or whatever we're supposed to be aiming for.

LeifTheLucky Thu 07-Jul-16 19:37:44

I do this, much to the bemusement/horror of my neighbour grin It always smells nice and fresh after a good rinse in the rain

Elbekind Thu 07-Jul-16 19:37:54

I've never done this. I don't know why. I am extremely lazy when it comes to house work so anywhere I can cut corners I will do.
I will try this with my next load and let you all know how I get on.

DiamondInTheRuff Thu 07-Jul-16 19:38:09

Pringles you clearly have the wrong sort of rain. wink

Paintedhandprints Thu 07-Jul-16 19:46:13

Goves it am extra rinse. However, sometimes there is sandy grit in the rain. Check out your windows...

MagnumAddict Thu 07-Jul-16 19:46:18

Why wash your clothes at all? Just wait for the rain and chuck some powder from the kitchen window?

I need to tell my mum people do this her look of horror will be hilarious!

MsMims Thu 07-Jul-16 19:48:16

ohgosh Please don't trivalise such a serious mental health illness. Rewashing your clothes is not OCD.

milliemolliemou Thu 07-Jul-16 19:52:21

Aristotle you go girl. But having someone pull the sheets taut onto the line and off helps. Would get stuff in off the line if it's soaking ... but not in the middle of the night or when I'm reading or listening to something or ....

Olddear Thu 07-Jul-16 20:34:10

No. I bring it in. I hate my washing be rained on

Topseyt Thu 07-Jul-16 20:50:37

I often leave it out too, especially if I have only just put it out.

I have never been one of those who races out at the first spot of rain to grab still damp washing and bring it inside. I know some people who drive themselves nuts over it.

lilydaisyrose Thu 07-Jul-16 20:54:56

I like it if it gets rained on then dries in the wind/Sun - makes it lovely and soft!

elephantoverthehill Thu 07-Jul-16 21:00:07

Sometimes I put out the washing the night before as I know I will not have time in the morning blush. I was just reading the NDN thread. We had a lovely elderly woman who lived next door when we bought our first house. who would rap on the front door at the first sight of rain to warn us to get our washing in. If we were at work she would do it for us and bring it 'round when we were home grin. I think the rush to get the washing in from the rain has more to do with historical stuff in cities such as acid rain due to smog etc.

Mollmoo Thu 07-Jul-16 21:03:00

Lol I do this ALL the time! However I also usually end up putting my washing on the line at 10/11pm!!!! 😆 There is no way I would have time or the chance to hang it in the morning with the kids around. So I put a load on when they've gone to bed then hang it out before I go to bed. I'm sure my neighbours think I'm mental! Lol.

Thequilltosurvive Thu 07-Jul-16 21:05:18

I do this a lot. 3 days straight is my current record!

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 07-Jul-16 21:05:48

I leave it ti it's dry. Sometimes that takes a week. Oh well.

Middleoftheroad Thu 07-Jul-16 21:10:34

What a good idea. Cant believe I havent done it instead of running up to the top of a two tier garden to collect in. Willdo this next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now