Advanced search

To take my mother to A&E ASAP?

(76 Posts)
Marthacliffscumbag Mon 20-Jun-16 11:32:05

I'm currently sat on a train travelling 200 miles to see my mother, I'm panicked, stressed and quite simply not sure what the hell I'm going to do when I get there.
To cut a very long story short, my mother started with back pain 6 months ago, very sudden, she's healthy, works full time, only 60. My mother hasn't been to the gp for about 15 years but she went and he gave her painkillers, they didn't work.
The pain got worse, he changed the painkillers, they didn't work. She begged for an MRI he refused, sent her for an X-ray which showed nothing. Sent her for physio, which caused her such crucifying pain he agreed it wasn't working so stopped
after 6 sessions and wrote to her gp to say it wasn't working.
Meanwhile my mother can't sleep, can't lie down, cannot eat, she is a shell of her former self.
She finally had an MRI 3 weeks ago which to everyones shock showed that she has in fact fractured her spine. Dr says it will heal but she's getting worse, she called me today completely incoherent with pain, vomiting, insensible. This is a woman who is the strongest person I know, she is now on liquid morphine, still in agony and at breaking point. That she would allow me to see her this way is testimony to how much pain she is in. I've left my children with my husband, and I'm racing to see her now. But what do I do when i get there? Will A&E just turn us away and tell us to see the gp again? I think that would break her, I feel so bloody angry and helpless, that she's been in such agony and also that she had to wait so long for the MRI, forced to do physio with a broken spine. Please give me your advice where to go now mumsnetters.

WhatKatyDidnt Mon 20-Jun-16 11:34:59

Definitely take her straight to A&E. Your poor mum.

BrickInTheWall Mon 20-Jun-16 11:36:16

If shes incoherent and vomiting I would say call an ambulance. I am shocked they are just leaving her with a fractured spine to heal by itself when ahe has already been in pain for so long. Hope shes ok OP thanks

3littlefrogs Mon 20-Jun-16 11:36:49

This is a 999 situation.
Is there anyone - a friend, neighbour who could make the call now?

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 20-Jun-16 11:37:59

Oh Christ I'm panicking now, I'm about 40 minutes away from her.

3littlefrogs Mon 20-Jun-16 11:38:41

FIL collapsed one night. MIL phoned us in a complete panic. We called the ambulance then DH set off to do the 2 hr journey to their home. FIL was already admitted to their local hospital by the time he got there.

Babyroobs Mon 20-Jun-16 11:40:03

Yes, take her to A&E. Have they any idea how her spine fractured? Has she had tests for osteoporosis etc. I hope someone can help your poor mum. I think you need to really advocate for your mum, get cross, try to get answers. there may be more going on that needs investigating.

Littleelffriend Mon 20-Jun-16 11:40:49

Definitely get her to hospital, you could call the ambulance? Thinking of you z

pigsDOfly Mon 20-Jun-16 11:41:04

God, how awful.

Agree 999 asap. Preferable she shouldn't wait till you get there either. Hope she gets some proper treatment.

Babyroobs Mon 20-Jun-16 11:42:54

Could the liquid morphine be making her vomit? It does not agree with everyone and some people can be very sensitive to it. She may need an alternative strong painkiller.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 20-Jun-16 11:43:19

Ok, calm yourself. You panicking isn't going to get you there any quicker

Can you call her and see how she is? If she is the same, or getting worse I would seriously consider calling an ambulance, explain that you're not currently with the patient but that they're incoherent and need help. Chances are, they'll still be with her when you get there. If not, it won't be difficult to figure out which hospital they've taken her to. Pack her a few things (nightie, toothbrush etc) and follow on

notapizzaeater Mon 20-Jun-16 11:43:30

I'd phone an ambulance if she's that ill, is there a neighbour that could go with her and you go straight to the hospital ?

londonrach Mon 20-Jun-16 11:43:42

Can you call an ambulance from the train op. if not when you arrive take her straight to a&e if nothing else dehydration and pain relief. Your poor mum. Wishing your mum a speedy recovery flowers

ExitPursuedByBear Mon 20-Jun-16 11:43:47

Good grief! How on earth has she done that? Yes call an ambulance - people turn up at A&E with a splinter in their finger.

NeedACleverNN Mon 20-Jun-16 11:43:50

Jeezus Christ and I thought my treatment was bad...

I don't want to de-rail you OP but your mothers circumstances sound almost exactly the same as mine.
In so much pain I was vomiting, clear X-Ray and clear blood results. I have been refused an MRI. Only difference is...I went to A and E. I got no where. I've been taken liquid morphine, naproxen, diazepam and wearing a morphine patch for 10 days now and I'm only just comfortable. I hope your mother gets taken more seriously than I did. Their theory is for me, is an inflammation of where the spine meets my rib cage

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 20-Jun-16 11:50:29

She's already on the patches, and every painkiller under the sun. Just spoken to her, she's embarassed about 'losing control earlier' I think I'll be able to make a better judgement when I actually see her.

DailyMailEthicalFail Mon 20-Jun-16 11:58:56

I'd call an ambulance.
A fractured spine isn't stable and needs seen immediately.
She shouldn't be in this level of pain.
I was on liquid morphine at Christmas and it made me vomit too after a week of it.
Keep calm and don't take No for an answer (either from your Mum or the hospital when you get there)

Muskateersmummy Mon 20-Jun-16 12:05:18

As long as the MRI says the fracture is stable, pain medication is the only treatment ( I broke my spine in January). However vomiting etc, yes I would go to a and e. Call and ambulance if they have not confirmed its a stable break

FannyFifer Mon 20-Jun-16 12:07:42

I assume she had a hospital appointment following the scan which showed she had a fractured spine?

Surely the results didn't just go to GP?

Get her to GP and make them phone the hospital directly, she needs seen by orthopaedic team, it's an emergency.

If not able for GP, straight to A&E when you arrive and insist on something being done.

Your poor mum.,this sounds appallingly bad care.

Realitea Mon 20-Jun-16 12:10:30

A&E won't turn her away. If there is that much pain it needs to be assessed and treated properly by the medical team at the hospital. It awful that it took so much work to get an MRI scan. My sister had to push for many years before she got one and a problem was detected. I would call an ambulance. It's what they're there for. They won't be angry. They will help her and you can meet her at the hospital. Don't panic. They will help her.

lougle Mon 20-Jun-16 12:11:13

Ok, let's take a step back here. She's had an MRI which shows a fracture. A doctor has reviewed the MRI and said it will heal on its own. That tells us that in that Dr's opinion the fracture is stable enough to be left to heal.

Morphine is an opioid. They make people vomit. Your mum hasn't slept, which means she's sleep deprived. That will also induce nausea. Sleep deprivation will also bring on incoherence, especially with strong painkillers.

I don't think an ambulance will help. Go to your Mum's and see her. Go from there. If the hospital can't do any more than she can do at home, all she get from being in hospital is more sleep deprivation, MRSA, C Diff, VREC, or some other super bug.

OakLeaves Mon 20-Jun-16 12:11:42


OP, I had a similar situation where I'd had severe pain on several occasions. I had been back and forth to the GP and had several investigations. We discussed options, GP wanted to rule out one avenue before exploring another, blah, blah, blah.

When the severe pain returned, I took myself to A&E. I was given immediate access to a relevant specialist, and booked in for an immediate scan. I was diagnosed, and set on the path for treatment within weeks.

Basically, my trip to A&E bypassed the obstacle of my GP and got me the care I needed. It was the best thing I could have done. Don't hesitate to take her to A&E, don't let her think she's making a fuss - all you're doing is accessing the expert care she so clearly needs without wasting time with your GP.

lougle Mon 20-Jun-16 12:12:56

A fractured spine will be painful. It shouldn't take a hospital admission to get adequate pain relief though.

Has your DM been tested for Osteoporosis? If the fracture is still painful and / or not healing then she should have been referred for further treatment not left to struggle on. Take her to A&E so they can at least get her pain under control.

I would seriously think about a complaint to the practice manager at the surgery once your DM is sorted out.

gandalf456 Mon 20-Jun-16 12:14:21

I would. A broken back is not to be taken lightly. Is she in a brace ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now