Talk

Advanced search

To think that a shop assistant shouldn't say this to a child?

(74 Posts)
pristinechristine Sat 14-May-16 16:14:49

Out shopping this afternoon with DD(5). In a high street shop, at the till paying, when completely out of nowhere the shop assistant starts saying to DD - "ooh, you look like you want a McDonalds. I can see it in your eyes. You want a McDonalds, don't you?"

I was quite taken aback. There was nothing to pre-empt the comment whatsoever, it was totally random. Fortunately for me DD isn't bothered by McDonalds the way she might be by, say, an ice cream so it didn't cause an issue for us. But this is the sort of thing that could cause real problems for a parent, surely? I said to him (kind of laughing but serious) you can't say that to children, you'll cause tantrums! To which he replied along the lines of "I know, I'm evil hahaha".

I work customer facing and I would never say anything to a child that could be potential ammunition to cause problems. AIBU?

kitkat1968 Sat 14-May-16 16:18:52

this is the sort of thing that could cause real problems for a parent, surely?
I suppose it might cause problems if they have raised a spoiled brat who they can't say no to.

pristinechristine Sat 14-May-16 16:22:32

I don't think it's about not being able to say no to a child and actually having to go to McDonalds kitkat but potentially having to deal with a strop or tantrum from a child. Children can be strong willed, doesn't mean they're spoiled brats necessarily

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 14-May-16 16:26:55

Yanbu. It's totally unnecessary and it's not just spoiled brats who throw tantrums.

Why deliberately try to cause trouble/engineer a situation for a parent to have to manage for no reason?

Balletgirlmum Sat 14-May-16 16:28:07

It could have caused huge problems for ds when he was younger (asd but you wouldn't know, very poor diet , refuses to eat if he thinks McDonalds, KFC or sweets are available)

And I'm the sort of parent where no means no & I follow through on consequences.

Saying that to ds couod potentially have led to me having to abandon our plans for the day & take him home.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sat 14-May-16 16:28:14

Absolutely not unreasonable.

There seems to be a presumption older people can say what they like, and a presumption that all children like or want junk food. I'm guessing she was an older gentleman.

It's a random thing to say, and I have actually pulled some one up on a similar comment. It's actually bloody rude. Especially as the shop assistant doesn't know your daughter. My god daughter can't eat at McDonald's,

And yes absolutely could cause trouble for parents. Not just the tantrums but health issues.

Rude rude rude

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 14-May-16 16:29:41

I'm with the OP. I lost the count of how many times waiters/waitresses asked my daughter if she wants an icecream or a cake or juice. I'm oerfectly able of reading the menu and ordering what we need. My daughter is absolytly lovely ajd not a brat kitcat opposite to you. She just gets disappointed which I find unnecessary. It's done oyrely to extort an extra purchase from the parent.

Slightlyndiffrent situ than OP's but I do feel her pain.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 14-May-16 16:31:13

Oyerly - purely!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 14-May-16 16:32:58

Given the amount of AIBUs about things that people say I think everyone should just shut their mouths and never speak again.

Then I suppose there will be loads of AIBUs about how unfriendly people are.

pristinechristine Sat 14-May-16 16:33:25

He was young, early 20s I reckon. I couldn't help but think that he obviously didn't have children because surely a parent wouldn't be so stupid!

dudsville Sat 14-May-16 16:34:03

I have to say my first thought is to wonder if the shop assistant took against you for some reason as this sounds like something that happen in a comedy film where someone tries to get their revenge by winding up the kids and making mother's life hell.

pristinechristine Sat 14-May-16 16:35:53

I can't think of any reason why he would have taken against me...it was a normal transaction and I'm always smiley and polite at checkouts

rainbowstardrops Sat 14-May-16 16:37:39

He's a youngster working in a shop on a Saturday! He probably has no idea that it could have potentially caused an issue and probably thought he was being funny.
Give him a break confused

randomcatname Sat 14-May-16 16:38:57

He might just be an immature guy who hates his job trying to cause mischief so he can have a laugh in the staff room . But yeah, really stupid thing to say.

pristinechristine Sat 14-May-16 16:39:25

Oh he definitely thought he was being funny! And he knew full well it could cause a problem hence the "I'm evil haha" comment.

I don't think age is an excuse. I had my first shop job at 15 and would have known better even then

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 14-May-16 16:40:23

Oh dear...

Honestly OP, he was just trying to be friendly.

Nanny0gg Sat 14-May-16 16:41:58

There seems to be a presumption older people can say what they like, and a presumption that all children like or want junk food. I'm guessing she was an older gentleman.

ODFOD

PovertyPain Sat 14-May-16 16:42:46

Oh look, more ageism. We all know older people just say whatever the hell they want, don't we? hmm

Don't worry, OP. You're not unreasonable to be pissed off with the comment. He sounds like a complete jerk. From his answer he knows exactly what he was doing and I would have went through him for a short cut.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 14-May-16 16:43:34

Ah he was killing time/trying to be amusing but YANBU. Or he's working for Mucky D's as an undercover promoter.
Could be worse, you could have been in the zoo whilst Apprentice contestants run up to your kid, saying You want a chocolate lolly, don't you? while thrusting it into their hand then say to you, who is open-mouthed in shock, "That'll be five pounds please!!!"

kitkat1968 Sat 14-May-16 16:44:26

it's not just spoiled brats who throw tantrums.
It is in my book at 5 years old, just because someone mentioned the word 'Mc Donalds'

Czerny88 Sat 14-May-16 16:47:48

Not U to think this was an unhelpful thing to say to a child, but VU indeed to suggest that only people without children say stupid things occasionally. hmm

AnotherUsernameBitesTheDust Sat 14-May-16 16:48:19

It's not about being spoilt. My DS has ASD and he doesn't get things like this. He takes it literally. He would then think that he could go to McDonalds and I'd have to deal with the fall out as I'd have to tell him he couldn't go.

pigsDOfly Sat 14-May-16 16:48:50

Nothing like making ill informed sweeping statements about older people is there?

Oh no, he was a young man. Oh well.

MrsGuyOfGisbo Sat 14-May-16 16:49:44

Or he's working for Mucky D's as an undercover promoter. grin

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 14-May-16 16:51:41

Just say "yes thanks, you can take him for a happy meal as you've offered" and then tell your dc that the bad man refuses to keep his promise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now