Talk

Advanced search

To ask "what variety are these flowers and where did they come from?"

(10 Posts)
goldierocks Sat 23-Apr-16 11:41:14

I've lived in my house for over 20 years and have never planted a single thing in the patch of land in front of my house (way too small to be called a garden).

The past couple of years I noticed loads of green leaves in spring....this year, they have erupted into some kind of bluebell.

How did they get in just my garden? - I live right in the middle of a busy town and no-one else has them.

How can I find out what variety they are? I think I read that some types are protected?

Although they are lovely to look at, should I get rid if they are the Spanish ones?

Help!

ClopySow Sat 23-Apr-16 11:56:26

No idea. Just wanted to say they look beautiful.

RortyCrankle Sat 23-Apr-16 11:58:36

From what I can see they look like Spanish bluebells. I have both English and Spanish in my garden. There is no good reason to get rid of them, they herald the beginning of Spring and I think are lovely. English bluebells have sparser flowers.

How they got to your garden?? Well I was going to say that it only needs one bulb dropped by a bird or squirrel and they then spread but I've no explanation if that number suddenly appeared a couple of years ago. Very strange.

ClopySow Sat 23-Apr-16 11:58:39

www.plantlife.org.uk/about_us/faq/bluebells

Rainatnight Sat 23-Apr-16 12:02:54

These are all over my neighbourhood at the moment, including our garden. Have been wanting to know the same thing!

goldierocks Sat 23-Apr-16 12:46:09

Thanks all!
The leaves are definitely a match for the native bluebell....long and thin. The leaves of the Spanish variety look much broader.

I agree they are beautiful and will leave them alone. Would still love to know how they ended up in my very tiny, very un-wildlife friendly front garden!

gasman Sat 23-Apr-16 13:10:29

Have you been guerrilla gardened?

SabineUndine Sat 23-Apr-16 13:26:10

Native English bluebells have a narrow, tight bell.

There are so many I would guess someone tossed some seeds in your garden.

Homemadeapplepie Sat 23-Apr-16 13:30:52

They look like Spanish bluebells-you don't have to get rid of them if you like them. No idea how they could have got in your garden but they seem to be pretty prolific breeders. I try to get rid of mine every year and the following Spring I just have more!

CuttedUpPear Sat 23-Apr-16 13:35:19

They look a bit suspicious to me. The Spanish ones hybridise with the English ones and force the natives out - it looks to me like this is what's happening in your garden. The presence of the broader leaves mean the Spanish ones are taking over.

There is a gardening topic you know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now