Talk

Advanced search

"Next Weekend" - a debate.

(102 Posts)
PennyHasNoSurname Tue 29-Mar-16 14:05:31

AIBU to think this person is all shades of incorrect?

Person A (person Wrong) " I am really looking forward to going away next weekend"
Person B (person Right) "ooh are you away two weekends in a row? How lovely, where are you off to?"
Person A "no Im only away one weekend, to Liverpool"
Person B "oh I thought that was the weekend after next?"
Person A "it is, next weekend. The weekend after next"

What??

On a tuesday, if you say next weekend, that means the coming weekend right? Apparently if A meant this weekend coming she would have said this weekenz and I should know next weekend means the weekend after next.

And this woman wonders why people get so confused when they talk to her.

Hrafnkel Tue 29-Mar-16 14:07:19

On Tuesday, 'this weekend' means the weekend coming. 'Next weekend' means the one after that.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 29-Mar-16 14:08:52

Surely they both mean the coming weekend? I can understand on a Friday Next Weekend meaning a week today/a week Saturday but on a Tuesday.

ItWillWash Tue 29-Mar-16 14:09:02

Last weekend = Sat/Sun just passed
This weekend = this weekend coming
Next weekend = the next weekend after this one.

swooosh Tue 29-Mar-16 14:09:04

I have this debate constantly. This coming weekend is THIS weekend, the one after (the 9th/10th) is next weekend.

TeaStory Tue 29-Mar-16 14:09:48

No, "next [weekend/Thursday/whatever]" means the one after the one coming.

NoSquirrels Tue 29-Mar-16 14:10:47

"Next weekend" should just be outlawed as a phrase.

"This weekend" and "the weekend after" sorts it.

mouldycheesefan Tue 29-Mar-16 14:11:04

You are confused. Your friend is correct.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 29-Mar-16 14:11:45

I agree: last, this and next, 3 different weekends.

bluespiral Tue 29-Mar-16 14:12:05

This weekend is the upcoming one. Next weekend is the one after that.

1boy2boys Tue 29-Mar-16 14:12:31

Saying the weekend after next is too much of a mouthful so it's
This weekend ( for this weekend)
Next weekend for, well next weekend.
Simple

redhat Tue 29-Mar-16 14:13:23

The coming weekend is this weekend. The one after that is next weekend.

You're wrong Im afraid. It took years for DH to agree this though.

molyholy Tue 29-Mar-16 14:13:35

on Tuesday the weekend is This Weekend. Next weekend is the weekend after this one.

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Mar-16 14:14:24

If it is monday and you say next werkend you mean the weekend after the one that starts after the monday of the current week.

Today is tuesday. If i am doing something on thursday i wouldnt say next thursday. I would say this thursday or on thursday. If i was doing something on friday i wouldnt say next Friday. I would say this friday or on friday. Im going to town next friday. Would you think friday of this week or next?

So this same is werkend.
Today is tuesday. This weekend is the sat and sun of this week.
Next weekend is the sat and sun of next week.
The weekend after next is the weekend after the weekend that comes after this one.

amicissimma Tue 29-Mar-16 14:14:55

'Next' means adjacent to. Ie the one that you will encounter before any others. Your next door neighbour is in the house beside yours, next week comes after this one. The next weekend is the one closest to you, ie, on Tuesday 29th March the next weekend will be Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 April.

'Next' does not mean 'separated from you by one', but some people think it does, hence it is clearer to use the dates.

Crikeyblimey Tue 29-Mar-16 14:16:07

Now I would say 'next weekend' is the next weekend we are going to get. So I agree with you OP.

Dh uses the 'wrong' next weekend thing all the time but we both understand each other now after many discussions about it.

I only use 'this weekend' when I'm in it. So from Friday evening onwards.

BareBearBum Tue 29-Mar-16 14:16:08

My DH and I debate this alllll the time.

I've always understood it as this weekend coming, next weekend being the one after that.

DH does not agree, I'm thinking of showing him this thread grin

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Tue 29-Mar-16 14:16:27

Sorry but you are wrong. Next weekend is 9th & 10th April if said today.

Laquila Tue 29-Mar-16 14:17:51

I agree with everyone else - how can this weekend be anything other than this weekend?! Next weekend is the next one, shirley?

Scholes34 Tue 29-Mar-16 14:21:17

I have to disagree with you, OP. This weekend is 2/3 April, ie the end of the week that we're in. Next weekend is 9/10 April, ie the end of the next week to the one that we're in.

Once you get to a Monday, THIS weekend is the one that follows at the end of this week, NEXT weekend is the end of the following or next week.

flingingmelon Tue 29-Mar-16 14:21:27

This weekend = the one coming.
Next weekend = the one after this weekend.

Don't you just love the English language?

seaweed123 Tue 29-Mar-16 14:22:07

My DH printed me out a handy diagram to decipher WTF he meant with his this/next illogical terminology. He agrees with you, OP. You are both BU.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 29-Mar-16 14:25:04

《Folds arms and refuses to budge》

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Mar-16 14:25:48

Ami - that's right. Next is adjacent to.
So the week adjacent to this one is rhe next one.
The house adjacent to yours is the next one.
The one you are in is your starting point. That's this one. The next one is therefore the one after. So the weekend of the week you are in is the current one. This one. The weekend of the next week, the following week,the adjacent week, is next weekend.

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 29-Mar-16 14:29:02

Surely if the 8/9th April can be referred to aa "the weekend after next" then you are even saying its the weekend after the next one. So 2/3 April is the next one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now