Talk

Advanced search

To be irritated by this description of an innocuous item?

(32 Posts)
BatonRouge Tue 09-Feb-16 13:31:52

What are they playing at? Gone back to the 1950's have we Sainsbos?

That style of pillowcase is called housewife everywhere not just Sainsburys, it's just the design name.

PurpleDaisies Tue 09-Feb-16 13:35:30

That's the style mans. It's been around for donkeys years.

PurpleDaisies Tue 09-Feb-16 13:35:57

Style name and cross posted with you English.

toottoottakeover Tue 09-Feb-16 13:38:22

It's just the name of that kind of pillowcase, I don't see what the problem is.

BatonRouge Tue 09-Feb-16 13:39:22

Really?! There's me thinking it was a some outdated way of flogging a house-ware range!

TwatMagnet Tue 09-Feb-16 13:39:49

This has been a thing forever OP. Forever.

BatonRouge Tue 09-Feb-16 13:42:36

Still think its a bit of an old fashioned name though but honestly didnt know it was desribing standard sizes pillowcases grin

LurkingHusband Tue 09-Feb-16 13:42:51

Is it being too incendiary to comment that just because it has been called that for years is no reason for it to continue being called that ? Especially given how other words - despite being merrily used for centuries - are now slightly less fashionable ?

Or should I butt out hmm ?

liinyo Tue 09-Feb-16 13:43:57

A 'housewife' pillow is the industry standard name for a plain rectangular pillow case. If it has an ornamental band around the edges it is called an 'Oxford' pillow case. God only knows why.

BatonRouge Tue 09-Feb-16 13:56:25

I'm with you there LurkingHusband

It is old fashioned but how would changing the name happen? There are literally hundreds possibly thousands of manufacturers and retailers using this name, who would coordinate an agreement for them all to change at the same time? Who would pay for the rebranding and reprinting if all of the packaging and marketing? I doubt it's high up the list of priorities for any of them.

LurkingHusband Tue 09-Feb-16 14:13:51

#everyday sexism ?

We need a campaign. A slogan. A logo. And a patron. And a suggestion for an alternative descriptive word.

LurkingHusband Tue 09-Feb-16 14:16:24

It is old fashioned but how would changing the name happen? There are literally hundreds possibly thousands of manufacturers and retailers using this name, who would coordinate an agreement for them all to change at the same time? Who would pay for the rebranding and reprinting if all of the packaging and marketing? I doubt it's high up the list of priorities for any of them.

Ah, the old "it's too hard" retort. Anyway, best way to move it up their list of priorities, is to make it yours. Given the amount of tinkering I have seen in my life, over words and meanings, this should be a doozey.

OhShutUpThomas Tue 09-Feb-16 14:20:24

grin

I love this thread.

It's the name of the pillowcase style. Always has been. For tiiiime.

OhShutUpThomas Tue 09-Feb-16 14:21:50

Are you going to take on Kleenex Man Size tissues too lurking?

wonkylampshade Tue 09-Feb-16 14:22:02

It's news to me too OP! confused

I'm not going to bite lurking as you seem to want to make a slightly old fashioned description into some sort of huge issue. I'll leave you to it grin

BlondeOnATreadmill Tue 09-Feb-16 14:26:11

SAHM pillowcase?

It is called what it's called. Has been for AGES. If you take offence, does that mean there's something derogatory about Housewives?

Don't even get me started on Yoghurt....that is now Yogurt. Who decided that?

RoganJosh Tue 09-Feb-16 14:27:50

I suppose it could be just called a plain pillowcase, to differentiate from the Oxford.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 09-Feb-16 14:28:31

We had this thread a couple of years ago. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a2031197-About-pillow-cases-having-housewife-written-on-the-packaging

The ones with the useful flap on the end to stop them falling out are called Housewife after the Housewives Co-operative of Bolton apparently. I'm visualising them (entirely in my imagination, because Google's giving me nothing) as fine strong women who worked together in the cause of female and class solidarity and took no shit from anyone and I'm happy to keep their name.

SoupDragon Tue 09-Feb-16 14:35:07

Is it time to change the word "human" to something less gender specific?

diddl Tue 09-Feb-16 14:35:38

Well, you learn something everyday!

I always thought that a pillowcase was a pillowcase was a pillowcase.

Unless it was an Oxford pillowcase.

Well don't I just feel daft!

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 09-Feb-16 14:40:16

Ooh that's interesting LadyIW. I love finding out that the origins of a word/name are nothing like what I assumed.

SilverBirchWithout Tue 09-Feb-16 14:42:46

So you pillowcase experts, so is there a type of covering that is not either a Housewife or Oxford pillowcase?
Somewhere in my brain I can remember having pillowcases when I was a child without a foldover flap thingy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now