Talk

Advanced search

Myself and yourself instead of me and you

(136 Posts)
WanderingNotLost Mon 07-Dec-15 11:22:34

This is something that just pisses me off to no end.

People saying myself and yourself instead of me and you.

Example: We need someone do speak on Tuesday, Steve has suggested yourself.

We have previously sold photocopiers to yourself.

No no no no no!!

Why do people do this? Is it just ignorance? I've found sales people are particularly guilty of this heinous crime. It just grates on me, I always want to correct them. AIBU?

See also: the misplaced apostrophe.

DawnOfTheDoggers Mon 07-Dec-15 11:24:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewLife4Me Mon 07-Dec-15 11:24:36

You're one to talk about mistakes.

do speak?

YABU, don't sweat the small stuff.

Thaisa Mon 07-Dec-15 11:27:18

Apparently, people are told to say it. My daughter got into trouble in her place of work for saying 'you' and 'me' on the phone rather than 'yourself' and 'myself'.

She tried arguing that it was wrong but her supervisor wasn't having it. shock

munkisocks Mon 07-Dec-15 11:28:48

I've learned something new as I'm guilty of doing this lol

ovenchips Mon 07-Dec-15 11:28:50

YANBU. Drives me mad too. IMHO when people do it is mainly in misplaced belief that it's somehow politer/ less direct/ more formal than a straight up 'you' or 'me'.

Marmite27 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:28:57

Hate this!

In my case it's people trying to sound more intelligent. No, just no.

Egosumquisum Mon 07-Dec-15 11:30:36

WanderingNotLost Mon 07-Dec-15 11:31:16

NewLife4Me that's just a typo, not a habitual butchering of English grammar.

Daisysbear Mon 07-Dec-15 11:31:47

I live in Ireland and it's perfectly normal to say 'myself and my sister went shopping' or 'you can go yourself, can't you' or somesuch.

But I remember being sneered at on here for using that turn of phrase and accused of 'trying to be posh' 'sound clever' etc.
People can be very ignorant and insular.

alltouchedout Mon 07-Dec-15 11:32:02

I fucking hate it. I think I hate it more than 'by close of play', which is a phrase guaranteed to make me fantasise about gouging out the speaker's eyeballs.

IShouldBeSoLurky Mon 07-Dec-15 11:33:03

Ego you've actually used it correctly wink as in, "Speak for yourself." Nothing wrong with that. The other uses are wrong.

Egosumquisum Mon 07-Dec-15 11:33:34

NewLife4Me Mon 07-Dec-15 11:34:51

Yes, but doesn't that show you that everybody makes mistakes.
Not everybody has had a good education in terms of English grammar, the same as you make a mistake.

It is common place in the gypsy communities I know and very prevalent in the north.
I don't think people are trying to be particularly intelligent, it's just what they consider normal.

I'm one that doesn't bat an eye.

redexpat Mon 07-Dec-15 11:36:09

YANBU. And for the record, I think not a habitual butchering of English grammar is the most eloquent phrase I've seen on MN in a long time!

Daisysbear Mon 07-Dec-15 11:36:59

Even where people have a good education, if it's a common turn of phrase in their home county/country then they will automatically use it.
Where I come from saying 'my sister and I went into town' would be considered a 'posh' way of speaking, regardless of your education. It would be 'myself and my sister'

Daisysbear Mon 07-Dec-15 11:38:14

When I say 'posh', I mean 'put on - posh'. Whereas if we heard it said with an English accent we'd just accept it as an English way of saying it.

Egosumquisum Mon 07-Dec-15 11:39:12

Scholes34 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:39:13

Or rather, "Me and my sister".

MaisieDotes Mon 07-Dec-15 11:39:26

I'm in Ireland too and it's quite common, it's a direct translation of the way it is said in Irish.

How's yourself this weather, daisy ? grin

Although I agree that it's ridiculous when it's used to impart formality.

WanderingNotLost Mon 07-Dec-15 11:41:34

This is lighthearted, just saw an erroneous 'yourself' in an email and it's set me right off- thought I'd see if anyone else felt the same!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Mon 07-Dec-15 11:42:03

The one that drives me nuts is people who say 'for you and I'. It happens on Masterchef all the time - 'today you are cooking for Gregg and I'. No, no, no, no! Nobody would say 'You are cooking for I' in standard English. Yet somehow when they put in another person's name plus 'and' in front of 'me', 'me' turns into 'I'.

Presumably it's because they've learned that it's grammatically wrong to say things like 'Gregg and me are judging today' but haven't understood why that's different from 'You are cooking for Gregg and me'.

KERALA1 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:44:21

Weirdly if someone said it in an Irish accent it would be fine!

But yes, like OP, I cringe for the speaker. Almost always said by people selling you stuff/giving you official information and makes me assume the speaker is badly educated. Sorry. Wouldn't say anything but that is what I would think!

Daisysbear Mon 07-Dec-15 11:44:49

Is it yourself, Maisie? I haven't seen you in ages. grin

Egosumquisum Mon 07-Dec-15 11:44:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now