Talk

Advanced search

pulled pork

(45 Posts)
madeitagain Thu 05-Nov-15 22:31:21

I don't know what this means. Can someone shed light on what pulled pork is? I mean is it different from regular pork?!

Arfarfanarf Thu 05-Nov-15 22:34:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laffymeal Thu 05-Nov-15 22:34:19

It's slow cooked and has a similar texture to Chinese duck. Also have you been living under a rock for 5 years. Please don't start a thread asking what salted caramel is.

whatdoIget Thu 05-Nov-15 22:34:48

It's shredded pork I think. You can get special pork-pulling gloves (!) like Freddie Krueger wears hmm

Oysterbabe Thu 05-Nov-15 22:35:39

How have you avoided it? It's sold in approximately 115% of shops.

whatdoIget Thu 05-Nov-15 22:36:26

Pork pulling in action

wasonthelist Thu 05-Nov-15 22:36:50

It's another US thing that we have to adopt.

janethegirl2 Thu 05-Nov-15 22:37:46

I think it's best avoided if at all possible. Imo it's a very irritating way to describe pork that's been slow cooker and shredded with a pair of forks ( as you would with Chinese crispy duck for pancakes).

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 05-Nov-15 22:37:53

It tastes awesome done in a bbq sauce, in a ciabatta roll with coleslaw on top.

<drool>

What was this thread about?

DonkeyOaty Thu 05-Nov-15 22:41:35

Omfg at those Freddie Krugers shock

It's delish btw. Non-carvable as it falls apart really easily.

NothingNewUnderTheSun Thu 05-Nov-15 22:41:58

How can you not know what it is? And even if you are happy to admit such a level of dullness to the world have you not heard of Google?

Groovee Thu 05-Nov-15 22:43:05

Slow cooked then shredded and mixed with BBQ sauce or garlic ketchup here.

imwithspud Thu 05-Nov-15 22:44:23

It's fairly self explanatory I thought?

It's just pork cooked slowly so that it 'shreds' when you pull it apart with a pair of forks. It's easy, we usually punk a pork shoulder in the slow cooker and leave it for hours, then pull and mix with a sauce. DP recently discovered that it works surprisingly well with red pesto.

lifesalongsong Thu 05-Nov-15 22:44:44

Yes, YABU

imwithspud Thu 05-Nov-15 22:44:50

Punk was meant to say bung

Cloppysow Thu 05-Nov-15 22:44:52

It used to be interesting. Now it has been done to death.

BetaVersion Thu 05-Nov-15 22:51:38

Is there some kind of 'pulled pork' factory that has been built in the UK because virtually every mid to low level restaurant menu I have seen in the last year has it lurking somewhere.

Its even appearing on pizza now. Basically food service companies are unloading it pre-bagged from trucks into the back of restaurants and its then rolled out slapped on bread.

I will never eat it and its lazy of restaurants to serve cheap high salt processed food.

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 05-Nov-15 23:06:07

Red pesto????? Really? I may need to try that...

SenecaFalls Thu 05-Nov-15 23:10:14

It's another US thing that we have to adopt.

It's a Southern US thing. And y'all aren't getting anything close to the real thing unless it's from a whole hog cooked all night with smoke in a pit in the ground.

Strokethefurrywall Thu 05-Nov-15 23:11:45

Yes of course, blame America. Baby Showers, Halloween, Pulled pork - is there anything those pesky Americans won't ruin?? hmm

It's also part of the Caribbean cuisine here, you're more likely to get a pulled pork sandwich than an ham and cheese...

echt Thu 05-Nov-15 23:13:06

"Pulled pork" sounds like euphemism for masturbation, rather in the same manner as "the pork sword".

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 05-Nov-15 23:13:14

I wish it would go away, I'm not keen on pork and hate the soft squishy texture of overcooked meat.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 05-Nov-15 23:13:38

And yy to euphemisms!

nocoolnamesleft Thu 05-Nov-15 23:15:22

Finally started getting somewhere by first cooking it in the slow cooker, then covering it in a rub, then finishing it over the charcoal bbq...gorgeous.

MintChocAddict Thu 05-Nov-15 23:18:56

PaulAnka I think you'll find that it's called 'slaw' and not coleslaw these days. wink

Pulled pork with a side of slaw served on a chopping board/toilet seat/whatever and costs the grand total of 8.5. Yes 8.5 and not £8.50.

And to finish salted caramel ice cream, on a bed of salted caramel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: