Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To find these things disgusting?

(55 Posts)
Laindon Fri 07-Aug-15 16:29:32

It's not really my place to have my say to the parents, because they're not my children, but I do have a right to have my opinion without voicing it to them at that opinion is quite frankly ''it's disgusting''.

For example, friend's of mine teaching their little daughters to 'pout' and pose with their bums to the side in pictures. Yes, I'm aware these people aren't taking into account the social and biological reasons women pose like this, and think it's just harmless fun taking after Mummy, but I still think it's inconsiderate and they should realise that. One of my biggest hates is someone seeing a little girl in a new outfit and screaming ''sexxyy girll'' or ''You sexy girl!''. SHE'S 3!!!

Another thing that shocks me (but in no way is in the same league as my previous example), and others will probably disagree, is people shouting 'little man' to baby boys (newborns to 1 year olds).

My DB is just 1 and ever since he entered this world, there have been numerous comments of 'Handsome little man' and 'Hey little man'.

Am I alone in this or am I just an uptight cow?

gabsdot45 Fri 07-Aug-15 16:31:20

Well I don't see anything wrong with calling a boy a 'little man' but referring to a small girl as sexy is wrong and weird and something that I've never heard actually.

M00nUnit Fri 07-Aug-15 16:33:05

Saying "sexy girl" about a small child is wrong but I don't see any problem with "little man" at all.

Mummy2ben14 Fri 07-Aug-15 16:33:43

I always call my DS little man, I think it's majorly cute. blush

As for the pouting/posing, I saw something similar on Blinging up Baby and it looked AWFUL!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 07-Aug-15 16:34:41

Sexy is an inappropriate word to use with regard to a young child, unfortunately I have heard it used like that and it makes me shudder.

Fluffyears Fri 07-Aug-15 16:35:22

In my area boys are often referred to as 'wee man' and I have no problem but little girls are not sexy and should not be labelled as such.

chamerion Fri 07-Aug-15 16:35:35

Both are weird to me, but I guess it's what you're used to. confused

SecretNutellaFix Fri 07-Aug-15 16:36:38

"Little man" I have no problem with, I use it with my nephews all the time.

Sexy is not an appropriate adjective to use in regards to children. It doesn't just mean attractive, it doesn't mean cute it means "I find myself wanting to have sex with you"

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Aug-15 16:36:43

I agree with your first point

Can't see anything wrong with the 'little man' thing though.

Different things rub different people up the wrong way. For example I can't stand 'Bubs' 'Babs' or 'Bubba', but accept lots of people don't mind it.

SewingAndCakes Fri 07-Aug-15 16:37:46

I've just been reading the other thread about toddlers being taught to duckface pout in photos and I agree, it's horrible. I think kids should be allowed to be kids. I hate the slogans on t-shirts too, and it's not just the girls ones; "noisy trouble maker", "here comes trouble" and so on.

I did call all of my boys little man as babies though.

WorraLiberty Fri 07-Aug-15 16:38:11

The weirdest thing was when my ex nextdoor neighbour called my Jack Russell Terrier a sexy little man.

On a regular basis too confused

TeresaGuidice Fri 07-Aug-15 16:40:42

Little man not to my taste but it's not offensive..sexy girl to a 3 year old?? Is this people commenting on a FB photo? That's AWFUL
hmm

gamerchick Fri 07-Aug-15 16:43:27

I still can't get over why anybody wants to duckface full stop. Why don't they realise they look utterly ridiculous?!

SoftBlocks Fri 07-Aug-15 16:48:45

Not keen on 'little man' but it's not in the same league as calling a three year old 'sexy' which is utterly inappropriate, and yes, disgusting.

Theoldcauliflower Fri 07-Aug-15 16:56:38

Completely agree with the sexy thing, I cringe when I hear it!!

Laindon Fri 07-Aug-15 16:57:47

Should've probably made it clear that in no way do I find it disgusting to call a boy 'little man', I just dislike it and was interested what other's had to say too.

ahbollocks Fri 07-Aug-15 17:06:20

I say little man all the time, that and Prince and my handsome boy.
This is all to my cat mind you.

Sexy is baaad , the rest is fine

ElementaryMyDearWatson Fri 07-Aug-15 17:07:41

I find "little man" pretty nauseating.

Laindon Fri 07-Aug-15 17:11:00

I especially dislike 'Prince' too. You're not Royalty, even if he is 'the most handsome boy ever'.

DreamingOfTheBeach Fri 07-Aug-15 17:16:30

Cant see anything wrong with little man, it's the same as little lady.
But yes fully agree that calling a child sexy is very wrong, but sadly often hear it.

QuestionAir Fri 07-Aug-15 17:18:42

I used to HATE little man with a passion until I had my own DS and bizarrely find myself referring to him as such ......

Gruntfuttock Fri 07-Aug-15 17:20:07

I with you, OP. I dislike 'little man' but calling a child 'sexy' is disgusting.

MumOfTheMoment Fri 07-Aug-15 17:24:19

Sexy is plain wrong. But I do tell my ds he is a hunk quite a lot blush He is 8.

Gruntfuttock Fri 07-Aug-15 17:26:14

"But I do tell my ds he is a hunk quite a lot"

Why? I wonder what the female equivalent of 'hunk' would be, btw?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 07-Aug-15 17:29:41

YABU, terms of endearment are fine and just pop out. There's nothing wrong with 'little man'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now