Talk

Advanced search

That my neighbours have a DJ in their garden

(35 Posts)
Onedayinthesun Sun 05-Jul-15 00:11:37

Small cul de sac, 18th birthday party - they live in a tiny 2 bed house and have set up porta loos in the front garden and a marque that takes up their whole back garden.
This has been going on since 4pm, DJ arrived at 7pm (why they need a DJ with his crap music) in their tiny garden to blast out all over the area, God knows.
17 & 18 year olds rowdy and drunk and party still blaring, it's 10 past midnight and it doesn't look like it's coming to an end .
The parents didn't even notify the neighbours politely that this would be taking place tonight, which I think is really rude and anti social.
AIBU to wish I lived in a field in the middle of nowhere because me and the kids can't get to sleep confused

Theycallmemellowjello Sun 05-Jul-15 00:13:44

Oof call the police. There are rules about amplified music I think.

Onedayinthesun Sun 05-Jul-15 00:16:54

I did they said they could send someone out but they can only ask them politely to turn it down and they don't have to oblige??? And I'm sorry we won't have anyone free to attend for a couple of hours hmm

Redglitter Sun 05-Jul-15 00:18:21

They DO have to turn it down if they're told. If not the police can come back and sieze their equipment

HMF1 Sun 05-Jul-15 00:19:11

Sounds awful, I'm sorry that you are having to put up with this. If it shows no sign of slowing down I think it would be reasonable to complain & if that doesn't help contact the police.

Onedayinthesun Sun 05-Jul-15 00:24:54

The sound of the DJ shouting into his microphone is making me so mad, so unnecessary and all the kids are gathering out the front of the houses because of the chemical toilets they have set up in the garden.

APlaceOnTheCouch Sun 05-Jul-15 00:25:01

If they don't have parties every weekend then I would just grit my teeth and let them enjoy it. I know it's irritating but I really don't think it's too much to expect neighbours to endure a party once in a blue moon. -- we never hold parties but I always feel a bit wistful when the neighbours hold an occasional party--

gobbin Sun 05-Jul-15 00:26:18

Absolute killjoy. If it were happening every week, I could see your problem. For a one-off party, where's the harm? No worse than having a late night out yourself.

The only factor that is unreasonable is that they didn't warn the neighbours.

Onedayinthesun Sun 05-Jul-15 00:30:06

But this is not Ibiza? A DJ in the back garden in Birmingham is over the top and unreasonable.

Themoleandcrew Sun 05-Jul-15 00:30:16

We had similar last weekend. 4am they stopped.

TipsyandT0m Sun 05-Jul-15 00:38:07

As a one off i would let it go. If anything I would be pissed at the lack of warning and invite grin
No, seriously, if it is a rare event I would just let it go.

CheeseandGherkins Sun 05-Jul-15 00:39:23

So what did they say when you spoke to them about it?

AntiHop Sun 05-Jul-15 00:53:25

If it was a one off, they had warned you on advance, and they stopped by midnight then that would be acceptable. But they've done none of those things.

You local council should have a noise nuisance team that should be contactable at this time of night. Look on the website for a number.

MarcMaronF Sun 05-Jul-15 01:46:04

I wouldn't mind if they had told you about it, but as they haven't I'd be pissed off!

Call the police/council/whatever it takes to shut them up.

What is the need for a DJ in the back garden anyway?!

Usernamesarehard Sun 05-Jul-15 01:53:34

Grr on your behalf op- this wasn't us last weekend. I called council re: noise pollution, they said they "couldn't attend on the night" any more, but could send a letter on the Monday. Useful. Party went on for 14hours.
I know these things are one offs, but why do people feel they're so important that everyone must listen to their shitty music in their own living rooms? I hate the "fuck everyone else" attitude.

carelesswhisper87 Sun 05-Jul-15 02:01:11

Hmm.. Live and let live is what I say. As long as it's a one off (or rarity) I really would suck it up and just ignore it / accept the inconvenience for a night. If it was every weekend I'd be pissed off.

crustsaway Sun 05-Jul-15 02:20:44

Its an 18th birthday party for god sake. Ok, its an inconvenience and to be fair I'd be grumpy about the noise and have to slap myself and let it go.

crustsaway Sun 05-Jul-15 02:21:57

Yes, call the police grin not! werent you all young once?

Ledare Sun 05-Jul-15 02:35:04

When I was a teenager party venues existed. Apparently they don't any more, those places you can go to shout at people over loud music, so people these days have to disturb everyone around them.

(And if I did have a gathering it was when my parents were on holiday so I'd be keeping it down and in the house in case the neighbours grassed me up grin)

MarcMaronF Sun 05-Jul-15 02:35:41

I was young (like to think I still am at 24) but when I have parties, I do notify my neighbours in case we get loud.

Then again, I live in a detached house and my attached neighbour is as keen on a party as I am, thankfully not as often as sounds!

Still, I was taught it was good manners to at least inform those who will be affected, if you are going to be anti social.

BettyCatKitten Sun 05-Jul-15 03:15:08

I'd gate crash if I were you grin

darksideofthemooncup Sun 05-Jul-15 03:22:15

I think not notifying the neighbours is rude, but if it's a one off I would let it go.

tobysmum77 Sun 05-Jul-15 06:35:52

yanbu. Bloody ridiculous that people can't have a good time without making life a misery for everyone else.

CardinalRed Sun 05-Jul-15 08:33:30

YANBU.
It's antisocial
Why does an 18th birthday mean you can make life miserable for dozens of families?
Totally selfish

RachelRagged Sun 05-Jul-15 08:48:34

Oh Op my sympathy , YANBU

Worse in a flat ! Lived in a flat once ,, neighbours (though THANK GOD was once a year only for her birthday) would have a DJ , A DJ in a flat ! All the talking and rapp8ing and shite into microphone.
However the difference was she informed us each year so we knew and one night out of 365 was just about copable but I do find it selfish in a flat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now