Talk

Advanced search

to want snow in London?

(44 Posts)
onemiddlefinger Wed 28-Jan-15 16:29:28

So we could have a snow day with DS and go play in the snow (he only saw snow when he was a baby so won't remember, but he's 2 now and I think would really enjoy it) plus of course not having to go to work is pretty good in itself.
Also I grew up in a country where we always had snow in the winter, proper snow, and each year I was really excited when the first snow came, I guess I miss that.
DH thinks I'm silly and it would be horrible and it was only exciting because I was a kid.
I think he's being a killjoy. AIBU?

Guitargirl Wed 28-Jan-15 16:32:02

Snow is lovely when you don't have to be anywhere or travel anywhere.

I took the DCs to Lapland in December partly to experience a shed load of snow! grin

Caronaim Wed 28-Jan-15 16:33:13

OOOh yes please, I check the netweather snow forecast every day. Sometimes several times!

www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snowforecast;sess=

Offler Wed 28-Jan-15 16:40:35

I'm in Essex and I too would like snow. I know it can be a pain when it goes icy or slushy, but there is nothing like that first crisp snowfall, being the first to make foot prints, the silence of snow when it falls making everything soft. We've had some good winters in recent years for snow, and DD (8) has had great fun, but sadly the only snow DS (2.5) has seen was when he was a baby. I want him (me) to have fun in the snow!!!

Icimoi Wed 28-Jan-15 16:41:36

YANBU. I really like snow, and I think it actually tends to cheer people up.

KnittedJimmyChoos Wed 28-Jan-15 16:42:31

i want snow too but what are the chances?

onemiddlefinger Wed 28-Jan-15 16:43:27

Caronaim I see there is a 60% snow risk tomorrow, but I suspect it doesn't actually mean it will snow.

TessTackle Wed 28-Jan-15 16:43:28

Yabu.
It never stays nice here in London.
It turns into dangerous grey sludge and ice.
Messes up travel, makes school run/getting to work a nightmare.

No thanks! tbwink

sparechange Wed 28-Jan-15 16:43:36

Snow in London is lovely for about half a day before everything grinds to a halt, no one can get to work/school/the supermarket/the doctors, and every arsy boss inside the M25 issues a diktat to either get in using the non-existent public transport or have to take it as unpaid leave.
Then teenagers/parents of toddlers/dog owners/ski owners all claim snow covered parks as their own and everyone gets disappointed.

And then it melts to a grey slush and everyone gets wet feet

TessTackle Wed 28-Jan-15 16:44:31

X-post spare tbgrin

BlastedChickens Wed 28-Jan-15 16:47:31

Please have mine. I hate it with a passion.

Car accidents left, right and centre. Leaves ice then slush, ruins clothes and cars; schools and roads close and public transport doesn't run. Even my 16 year old dd despises it. sad

sparechange Wed 28-Jan-15 16:50:13

Tess, wannd join my club? Honorary president: Victor Meldrew, Treasurer, Scrooge

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 28-Jan-15 16:50:46

Nooo I work in a giant fridge so do NOT want to be walking in there straight from the cold. And London is awful for gritting the roads and hills

WorraLiberty Wed 28-Jan-15 16:52:12

East London/Essex border here and we are all jealous that other people have had snow sad

onemiddlefinger Wed 28-Jan-15 16:53:34

GlitzAndGigglesx
But it's been cold lately anyway, might as well be cold and snowy smile

TessTackle Wed 28-Jan-15 16:55:16

Victor Meldrew is my idol spare

Fluffy40 Wed 28-Jan-15 17:07:15

Hello worra, you must be near me, no snow, just a nasty cold wind.

WorraLiberty Wed 28-Jan-15 17:11:28

Yes Fluffy and a handful of hailstones this afternoon!

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 28-Jan-15 17:33:29

onemiddlefinger no because I have to walk down a little hill and don't have suitable footwear grin. My Tesco wellies might cut it

marshmallowpies Wed 28-Jan-15 17:35:49

No, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and live at the top of a bloody great hill (yes, in London). This time next year it can snow all it likes - snow for soon-to-be DD2's first birthday would be lovely.

PlantCurtain Wed 28-Jan-15 17:41:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Annietheacrobat Wed 28-Jan-15 18:20:41

I have lots of work to do tomorrow so no. Thursday night would be fine.

ilovesooty Wed 28-Jan-15 18:51:55

I would be ecstatic if it never snowed again.

I don't have the option of a snow day. I have have to drive for my job. I think all the stuff people post about how lovely snow is is nothing more than sentimental twaddle. I have to drive somewhere on high ground tomorrow and am already feeling worried.

l12ngo Wed 28-Jan-15 18:54:56

Wouldn't mind too much if there was no wind but it's bitter atm

Fabulous46 Wed 28-Jan-15 18:59:37

You can have ours. We had a shit load the week before last and another 3" today so far. I hate the stuff and the excuses I hear to have a "snow day" --especially when I can make it work from 25 miles away and lazy gits won't walk a few miles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: