Page 14 | to go off piste with food bank donations, as they only list wanting junk food

(510 Posts)
haveatarday Tue 06-Jan-15 10:56:00

At the shops now. The local food bank is only asking for junk food on their list (crisps, biscuits, pot noodles, pasta and sauce, corn flakes).

Aibu to not get these but get healthier stuff, like tinned fruit in natural juce, oats, mixed seeds etc?

OP’s posts: |
RandomNPC Tue 06-Jan-15 21:27:48

For fucks sake, read the whole thread and get the gist/understand the developments before you comment! Why are some people trying to talk to the OP when even MNHQ knew she was a troll hours ago?

notauniquename Tue 06-Jan-15 21:29:12

I can't help but think that donating money would be better than donating produce.

If I buy a pot noodle in Tesco it's £1, they have them 3 for a pound (off brand) in pound land. (so if I buy in Tesco I only donate 1/3rd of what I could)
Bachelors Supernoodles are 40p per pack, in Tesco, Maggi branded ones are five for £1 in Poundland...

I'm not saying go to Poundland, I'm saying that if Poundland can make a profit on pot noodles and microwave noodles (which can also be made with a cup and boiling water) then donating money to a food bank organisation should enable them to have the same economies of scale as a shop.

Is it better to buy a named brand (such as golden wonder pot noodle) than an off brand from Poundland?

Do you think food banks would be less funded if they asked for cold hard cash (that would enable them to feed more) instead of allowing people to have a physical connection, (i.e this pot noodle that I'm holding now will go directly to a person who visits a food bank this week?)

(I thought this thread was serious at the start, until I got the the bain marie part.)

I also like oatcakes, I eat them dry as they make a good breakfast that I can eat whilst driving to work!
(I also like staffordshire oatcakes.)

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 06-Jan-15 21:30:12

I never said there was a problem with chocolate, haphazard. If the food bank needs the basics, I don't think chocolate is as much of a priority, but as I said on the other thread, I think it is a great thing if the food banks have got some treats to put in the bags alongside the basics.

I'd say, if you are in sufficiently dire financial circumstances that you need to use a food bank, a few treats probably mean even more to you than they would normally.

elQuintoConyo Tue 06-Jan-15 21:30:21

SEEDS? FUCKING SEEDS?

Breadcrumbs from a birdtable?

Now I've read it all hmm

ToastBones Tue 06-Jan-15 21:30:23

I bought some Pot Noodles for the FB thanks to this thread!

Also thought of someone like my son who has ASD and would rather starve than eat meat so threw in some tinned macaroni cheese shock and shock ketchup, which makes most things more palatable. Not sure it would work with kidney bean canapes though...

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 06-Jan-15 21:37:27

I think it's about the only thing that might make kidney bean canapes palatable, toast.

I was looking for some budget recipes to use up the time of kidney beans but I think I'm going to draw a line at kidney bean canapes.

pippitysqueakity Tue 06-Jan-15 21:39:27

Well, Tryharder, for an answer, or several, I suggest you DO RTFT.

listsandbudgets Tue 06-Jan-15 21:42:12

No waste of ketchup. The obvious condiment is balsamic vinegar and a little paprika.

Thcrapth Tue 06-Jan-15 21:42:40

any way to keep the thread for all the useful info but remove the op NN ?

Hakluyt Tue 06-Jan-15 21:47:52

We donated lots of Christmas treats to our local food bank instead of sending Christmas cardss this year. We also wrote to all the party leaders expressing our outrage that anyone is dependent on charitable giving in a developed country in the 21st century. No answers from any of them yet.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Tue 06-Jan-15 21:59:38

My local women's aid wasn't able to take goods unless they had a specific need / match due to lack of storage. My local Youth Service team ( local council) are able to take anything and everything.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Tue 06-Jan-15 22:00:44

Goods ie toys clothes high chair pram

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 06-Jan-15 22:03:07

I have both of those, lists. No oatcakes, tomato puree or onion though. Could substitute Ritz biscuits and passata or tinned tomatoes.

I have a feeling the resulting acid reflux is going to put me off eating for some time.

firesidechat Tue 06-Jan-15 22:08:09

haphazard I think any attempt to support the op in her goady stereotyping of both middle class snobbery and food bank users ignorance is a bit misguided.

I also don't think users of food banks get much opportunity to peruse the shelves and pick themselves a nice bar of 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate. Maybe they do and some food bank volunteers could let us know. These food banks are to feed people with stuff that the vast majority will eat ie not dark chocolate.

Ormally Tue 06-Jan-15 22:27:12

In response to Haphazard:

Cats - a food bank is reliant on charitable donations. >> yes, that they give shoppers clear direction on, for the items they need at the present time. It's probably most sensible to follow their guidance if you definitely want to be helpful.

There are SEVERAL threads on here where people have stopped donating to a chosen charity because of one reason for another and people have always been okay with this.
>> Why would anyone not be ok about you donating, or not?

I think people get needlessly chest-beaty about food banks.
>>What, you mean the people who have exhausted all other avenues and have no choice but to use them? Absolutely. How attention-seeking and chest-beaty of them to be hungry and have hungry dependents and no easy fix.

No words, really...I feel ashamed about the origin of your username.

DixieNormas Tue 06-Jan-15 22:27:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haphazardbystarlight Tue 06-Jan-15 22:30:08

'Ashamed about the origin of your username'

excuse me? <baffled> confused

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 06-Jan-15 22:34:53

Really daft thread - although I haven't read it all.

However, if it makes just a few of us donate just a few more thoughtful items to our local fb it's been a huge success. So thank you, OP grin

Ormally Tue 06-Jan-15 22:39:49

The Christian poem BC: AD - by U. A. Fanthorpe:

This was the moment when Before
Turned into After, and the future's
Uninvented timekeepers presented arms.

This was the moment when nothing
Happened. Only dull peace
Sprawled boringly over the earth.

This was the moment when even energetic Romans
Could find nothing better to do
Than counting heads in remote provinces.

And this was the moment
When a few farm workers and three
Members of an obscure Persian sect.
Walked haphazard by starlight straight
Into the kingdom of heaven.

(Sorry for the poetic tangent as it diverts from the very necessary and concrete matter of food banks and their function in feeding very hungry people, something more fundamental to the Bible).

haphazardbystarlight Tue 06-Jan-15 22:42:33

So why on earth are you ASHAMED of my using a Christmas poem for my username?

At any rate, to answer your points - you have conceded no one needs to donate. I don't donate to many worthy charities because I can't donate to them all. It doesn't make me a selfish uncharitable person!

And the "chest beating" was in reference to these threads. If someone said 'aibu to say no to charity collector' everyone would say fine. 'Aibu not to give to food bank' (or donate jam!) sends people into a rage and I don't know why.

PhaedraIsMyName Tue 06-Jan-15 22:54:38

With the brown rice, it's not that poor people can't be expected to eat brown rice. It's the fact that brown rice needs something to go with it.

And the fact that even then it's horrible.

haphazardbystarlight Tue 06-Jan-15 22:59:27

I love brown rice and believe me I am no angel, food wise. I don't even like dark chocolate grin

We are all different!

mytartanscarf Tue 06-Jan-15 23:03:04

It's true that whenever there's a thread about food banks on here it's very long and gets quite angry.

I don't give. No big reason, it's just I support four charities through monthly direct debit and that's enough considering I don't earn a massive amount. I support Amnesty, the local animal shelter, BHF and cancer research. It doesn't mean I DON'T care about hunger any more than not donating to motor neurone disease or Dogs Trust or the NSPCC means I don't care about mnd or dogs or children.

I did once hear someone say they wouldn't give as they didn't see why it was their job to "feed the little chavs on the estate" shock

notauniquename Tue 06-Jan-15 23:05:32

So why on earth are you ASHAMED of my using a Christmas poem for my username?
Probably pointing out that what you're saying doesn't sound very Christian. (I don't have an opinion on this, just putting a theory out there)

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 06-Jan-15 23:09:02

This thread isn't an 'AIBU not to donate to a food bank?' thread, though is it, haphazard? It's an 'AIBU to ignore the food bank's guidelines and donate what I think the poor people should eat?' thread - which is rather different!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in