Page 12 | to go off piste with food bank donations, as they only list wanting junk food

(510 Posts)
haveatarday Tue 06-Jan-15 10:56:00

At the shops now. The local food bank is only asking for junk food on their list (crisps, biscuits, pot noodles, pasta and sauce, corn flakes).

Aibu to not get these but get healthier stuff, like tinned fruit in natural juce, oats, mixed seeds etc?

OP’s posts: |
Enormouse Tue 06-Jan-15 16:08:44

MrsMcRuff I like them too. But generally with a fuckton of cheese, pate or smoked salmon.

Not as a receptacle for cold mashed kidney beans.

AliceinWinterWonderland Tue 06-Jan-15 16:09:26

sorry, blush I watched poltergeist recently... I could just HEAR that woman saying "this house.. is clean..."

LineRunner Tue 06-Jan-15 16:10:36

Kristina, good post.

Enormouse Tue 06-Jan-15 16:13:34

On a more helpful aspect, I was involved with a refuge/home for women moving into halfway house accommodation. Many with substance abuse problems and self harm issues. So they weren't allowed access to tin openers and knives.

So ring pull cans were best.

QuintlessShadows Tue 06-Jan-15 16:21:05

I love Oatcakes too.

But with some fig jam, or chutney, and Brie.

GritStrength Tue 06-Jan-15 16:52:35

This thread made me laugh so much over my lunch my colleagues asked if I was OK. And I've placed a big shop for the foodbank as a result.

Royalsighness Tue 06-Jan-15 16:56:05

my advice would be not to get any of the food on the list but instead offer your expert diet advice to the poor and needy people that use food banks, best do it quick before they get scurvy!

Nomama Tue 06-Jan-15 17:00:43

This thread... is clean....

Ah... but does it eat clean smile

Someone asked about makeup... we would say thanks and put it on the Help Yourself Shelf.

(Or appropriate it for ourselves - we do leave a donation, usually smile )

Stinkle Tue 06-Jan-15 17:02:20

Just out of interest, how do you qualify for a FP and how do the people managing it make sure it is going to the right people and not into the wrong hands?

We get referrals from other agencies (GP, HV, Social Services, CAB, etc). People get given a voucher which they bring to us.

Nomama Tue 06-Jan-15 17:09:36

And we also have a bit of an open door, for those who cannot/will not engage with 'the agencies' out of fear.

Whilst we don't want to give away our resources to chancers, we would rather make a mistake that way than the other.

We do have a couple of longer term clients who don't have referrals. But they are known through an agency, church, community project and are pointed in our direction. They often become volunteers, sometimes just because our 'shed' is quite warm and there are always people to talk to.

haphazardbystarlight Tue 06-Jan-15 17:11:33

Well ... I really like oat cakes.

I don't think I've ever given to a food bank apart from Christmas 2013 when I put some biscuits in.

Don't know why people are being rude to the OP.

firesidechat Tue 06-Jan-15 17:29:16

I like oat cakes too, but not without a lovely bit of stilton on top. Surely the point of an oat cake is that you put nice thinks on them.

You really don't know why haphazard?

It wasn't a genuine original post. It was goady.

MrsMcRuff Tue 06-Jan-15 17:30:12

People were being rude to the op because the op was masquerading as a judgy lady bountiful who wasn't going to give the FB the food requested, but rather what was 'healthy' and 'good for you', for goading purposes.

I don't want a liking for oatcakes to place me unwittingly alongside the (fake) op, btw. I love biscuit and cake too.

fakenamefornow Tue 06-Jan-15 17:30:59

Don't know why people are being rude to the OP.

I don't either, just seems nasty.

blanklook Tue 06-Jan-15 17:32:08

Enormouse, you can get tin openers which leave all edges blunt, they'd be useful for those people

Ring-pull leaves a very sharp lid with inbuilt 'handle' and sharp area just inside the lid too. Surely they should not be given to anyone who is at risk from self-harm?

TattyDevine Tue 06-Jan-15 17:37:17

Laughing so hard at the bain marie!

I'm not one to troll hunt but as MN have already sort of implied this probably is a troll, can I just say its quite a funny troll.

The bain marie thing will have me snorting for some time yet! grin

And the kidney bean canapés were inspired

<<adds kidney beans to shopping list>>

CatsClaus Tue 06-Jan-15 17:37:53

haphazard and fake...

just really?? You cannot see that the OP is being overtly patronising and downright obtuse?

StarsOfTrackAndField Tue 06-Jan-15 17:46:57

Tatty Funny?

I just thought it was horrible. The poster was either

a) genuine and a right piece of work.

b) A troll and using the needy as the punchline for a windup. Which is just crap, sort of like Dave, Boris and the Bullingdon club setting fire to £20 notes under the noses of tramps.

Either way, she can fuck off.

DixieNormas Tue 06-Jan-15 17:51:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haphazardbystarlight Tue 06-Jan-15 18:03:05

Cats - a food bank is reliant on charitable donations.

There are SEVERAL threads on here where people have stopped donating to a chosen charity because of one reason for another and people have always been okay with this.

I think people get needlessly chest-beaty about food banks.

SaigonSaigon Tue 06-Jan-15 18:09:38

I have heard that loo rolls are most frequently in demand & they generally never have enough, so I'm sure you could add this to your list.

EbwyIsUpTheDuff Tue 06-Jan-15 18:11:17

Dixie, how it's given varies from foodbank to foodbank. Some you don't get a choice, others you do.

ChocLover2015 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:22:12

I am wondering whether it is better, instead of donating groceries, to donate the money they would have cost as I would have thought FBs would be able to purchase more cheaply than at supermarket prices?

HerRoyalNotness Tue 06-Jan-15 18:29:02

Our local supermarket does 3 differently priced bags of foodstuffs that we can add to our shopping and donate to foodbanks. I much prefer this way. I've also seen specific area of the supermarket marked with, food bank shortage, on certain products if you want to buy individual bits.

I often wonder if they get 10000 packs of spaghetti and 1 tube of toothpaste. Must be hard to organise and make up bags of things for people if there isn't coordination at the front end when people are buying products for foodbank. Might be easier if people donate money to them, they could then buy what they need in bulk at better prices and therefore have more stock.

MauriceTheCat Tue 06-Jan-15 18:32:50

I work with Trussell every Tuesday and we have been following this thread today, so I am going to share my Day.

First we are taught not to judge. I saw 7 people today, none of them met my eye when they came in. But a cup of coffee a chat about the weather and people start to warm through.

We are told jeans, leggings and simple tops no names. Many topics are off as you can't assume they have a tv, or had a nice Christmas or have even a radio or laptop... remember poverty is not participating in society.... think about the conversations you have had today.

We offer help with interepting benefits and sometimes just help with reading too sometimes it's just giving space. Never to judge no question is silly

When the bags are handed over, yes it's the chocolate or crisps they look for first. This is because it's these things they want to greet their children with at the school gate.

But this is about the here and now. It's about meeting the immediate need. At our church we offer cooking classes but if you are so low you have to use a food bank you want someone to show you that for that minute it's ok.

We do know what is needed and yes it seems odd some of the items but if you listen to the people and why it's important then you start to understand the fuller picture and not just your view.

Please continue to give

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in